Author Topic: Simple easy food  (Read 3470 times)

Simple easy food
« on: 23 July, 2008, 05:05:18 pm »
Last night we couldn't think what to cook so went for an old standby. Baked beans on toast topped with a couple of fried eggs from our bantam. Lovely and took two minutes to do. What's your "really cant be bothered to cook" meal ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

gonzo

Re: Simple easy food
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2008, 05:07:10 pm »
Pasta, tuna, tomato puree, cajun seasoning and oil. If I can be bothered then grated cheese too.

One pan wonder.

Just don't eat it too close to a TT as I discovered the hard way yesterday!

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2008, 05:28:18 pm »
Omelette :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2008, 05:43:20 pm »
Oddly enough, my can't-be-arsed-to-cook food is also beans on toast with an egg.

Or tuna pasta salad, but doing a veggie version of that makes it slightly more effort (chopping a pepper!  Will the labour never cease?!)

« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2008, 05:46:12 pm »
yup, same here - scrambled egg on toast with cold beans.  (Mrs Mike likes her beans heated up.  Weirdo).

Pete

« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2008, 06:04:54 pm »
Just about any pasta-based meal is quick'n'easy.  And if you can summon up enough energy to chop an onion and crush a garlic clove, why, you're half way towards a good many of our main meals!

Veggie: spag.'n'lentils is simple enough: I suppose you could use tinned (continental) lentils but dried ones don't take long.  Boil then simmer until tender and drain, fry up onion and garlic, add tin of tomatoes, lentils, sliced mushrooms, sliced celery stick, whatever herbs come to hand, salt, pepper, (optional chilli), couple of bay leaves.  Meanwhile boil your spaghetti until al dente, drain, serve with sauce and grated parmesan.

One of the tricks to quick preparation, is to have everything ready to hand - or at least to know where everything is stored, in the kitchen.  Don't let your dinner spoil through hunting high and low throughout the entire house for the pepper!  (as sometimes happens with us  :-[)

« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2008, 08:49:27 pm »
My "can't be arsed" recipe is, pick up something edible, then eat it.
Usualy a tin of tuna or Mackerell. Cheese, biscuits, muffins, nuts or anything I find lying around that doesn't need cooking.
I very rarely cook as I can rareley be bothered. I'm usualy too hungry to wait. I sometimes buy a ready cooked chicken and scoff that. I do roast dinners though. I cook them overnight and have them for breakfast. I only really cook pasta because it doesn't take very long. Sometimes pancakes. Or I just buy some bags of salad and some meat/fish from the supermarket and eat them out the packet, or from my bowl if I'm mixing stuff together.
On rare occasions when I have started to cook, I sometimes eat the ingredients before they get to the pan.

goatpebble

« Reply #7 on: 23 July, 2008, 08:54:21 pm »
Tabbouleh, but make sure your slicing skills are up to it.

My favourite quick supper means stuffing big spoonfuls into pitta. This is also something that you can do last minute as a mezze thing, just lots of half pitta filled with tabbouleh. It is not traditional, but it is something quick that a guest can pick up along with a cold beer.

First principals. Flat leaf parsley, and a lot of it, sliced as thin as you can, with your sharpest knife. I stress sliced, not chopped. The same with a handful of mint, and a big bunch of spring onions. The finer you slice the fresh green things, the lighter and 'fluffier' the final salad will be. Tomatoes, diced small, and save the juice.

A small handful of fine bulghur, rinsed, and drained. let it sit with the tomato, and the juice, while you slice the herbs. Combine, adding a litle lemon and olive oil, black pepper, salt, and a pinch of allspice or cinnamon.

The salad should be a green and red light fluffy thing, with the bulghur almost as a dressing, not the substance.

Every time I make this, it seems like a revelation. That something so quick can taste so savoury and enticing, and so much more than the sum of its parts.

« Reply #8 on: 23 July, 2008, 09:13:06 pm »
Instant noodles with a couple of frankfurters and some frozen peas.

alan

« Reply #9 on: 23 July, 2008, 09:35:25 pm »
My can't be bothered to cook recipe is....eat out :)

fiendish

• Yummy!
« Reply #10 on: 23 July, 2008, 09:40:01 pm »
Tom yum soup.  Tub of tom yum paste in the cupboard - add a blob to a pan of hot water, add whatever veg (and protein if you've got it), cook for a few minutes and that's it.  Fresh coriander is good if you've got it.

Last time I had tom yum there was bugger all in the fridge, so it was half an onion sliced and frozen peas, sweetcorn and soya beans.

Fishfinger sandwiches are good too, although I sped so long trying to decide wether to have tartare sauce or ketchup on them that my fishfingers are cold.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 24 July, 2008, 07:59:00 am »
My can't be bothered to cook recipe is....eat out :)

My can't be bothered to cook recipe is call the local Chinese and ask for a delivery.
No waste, no predatory service, no silly questions halfway through the main course...

Nienke

« Reply #12 on: 24 July, 2008, 09:34:31 am »
no silly questions halfway through the main course...

I hate it when they do that! We went to a really nice little french restaurant a little while ago. It took me a while to notice that part of the reason I was enjoying my meal so much (apart from the lovely food) is that the service was impeccable: the staff would show up a split second after I'd started looking for eye contact, but never once to ask me if there was anything they could do when I just had my mouth full.

Adam can hardly ever not be bothered to cook, but I think tomato-based goo with lentils and whatever else we can find would be the easy option. With rice / pasta.

« Reply #13 on: 24 July, 2008, 03:05:24 pm »
Usually pasta and a sauce from the freezer, we nearly always have some sort of tomato beased leftover in there.  But the real standby is fish 'n chips - we're lucky to have a good one not too far away. With a pickled egg for me of course  :P
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #14 on: 24 July, 2008, 03:21:38 pm »
Omelette! Sometimes with chips from the chippy, for bonus piggerish-laziness. Or pasta&pesto, if there's pesto about. Or fried egg sandwiches.

For really-swift-food I have instant noodles from the Chinese supermarket, but they're for emergencies, when I Need Food Now, and not for when I'm just being lazy.

Elleigh

« Reply #15 on: 24 July, 2008, 03:23:08 pm »
Eggy bread :)

Far too easy and and far too naughty.

Air Dancer

« Reply #16 on: 24 July, 2008, 03:31:30 pm »
Tom yum soup.  Tub of tom yum paste in the cupboard - add a blob to a pan of hot water, add whatever veg (and protein if you've got it), cook for a few minutes and that's it.  Fresh coriander is good if you've got it.

Last time I had tom yum there was bugger all in the fridge, so it was half an onion sliced and frozen peas, sweetcorn and soya beans.

Fishfinger sandwiches are good too, although I sped so long trying to decide wether to have tartare sauce or ketchup on them that my fishfingers are cold.

Top stuff.

When I'm lazy I'll boil up some quick noodles and add a dollop of Tom Yum and stir in.

ian

« Reply #17 on: 24 July, 2008, 06:05:33 pm »
Pasta. Cook it, and about two minutes from the end, add some frozen garden peas.

Once done, quarter a few small tomatoes and slice some olives. Add to the cooked pasta and crumble in a good helping of feta (or coarsely slice some parmesan or pecorino). If you have herbs (dried or fresh) add a tablespoon or handful. Then pour in a good glug of good olive oil. Mix and let stand (covered) a few minutes to warm through and let the flavours develop.

PGtips

• behold. the might of the jellybaby!
« Reply #18 on: 24 July, 2008, 07:29:17 pm »
scrambled eggs, I find is good as an easy food.

Milk, Milk, Milk.... "I reject reality and substitute my own!" I am all for the Olympic food eating contest!

« Reply #19 on: 25 July, 2008, 06:07:04 am »
My "can't be arsed" recipe is, pick up something edible, then eat it.

+1

(but, sadly, not +1 for the standard of cycling)

« Reply #20 on: 25 July, 2008, 06:36:24 am »
I note with interest the mention of Tom Yam paste. Is it made in the UK or imported from Thailand?

My quick meal in Bangkok would be a ready made Thai meal from S&P or  7/11 heated for 3.5 minutes in a microwave oven and washed down with a glass of beer :P
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

fiendish

• Yummy!
« Reply #21 on: 25 July, 2008, 09:28:55 am »
Just looked at my tub - it's made in Thailand and the original labels are in French; it's got English stickers on it including one for the importer who is is south London.  I buy it from the health food stall on my local market.

« Reply #22 on: 25 July, 2008, 04:25:37 pm »
Thanks, I'll have a look in the Super tomorrow night.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #23 on: 25 July, 2008, 04:32:11 pm »
Two slices of bread in toaster.

Grate some seriously mature cheddar.

Grill.

Chuck on a few slices of tomato. Maybe even some mushrooms.

Grill some more.

Drown in tobasco and worcestershire sauce.

Eat.

Done!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #24 on: 29 July, 2008, 02:09:32 pm »
Satay noodles - boil up some thready noodles, add a dollop of peanut butter, some water, some chilli sauce (the dipping kind), mix through, eat. Nom nom  :thumbsup:.