Author Topic: DIY frogs legs.  (Read 7207 times)

rae

Re: DIY frogs legs.
« Reply #25 on: 15 August, 2008, 03:21:31 pm »
I'll be doing the shooting, beheading and skinning, so I will be in charge of making sure it is not cat.  Must go and get a cleaver for the heads and feet. 

« Reply #26 on: 15 August, 2008, 03:29:10 pm »
What's next? Rats? Squirrels?

I've got a selection of spatchcocked squirrels in the freezer. I was saving up enough to make a pie, but I've been failing to trap any lately.

How do you kill them?  :(

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #27 on: 15 August, 2008, 03:30:41 pm »

I've got a selection of spatchcocked squirrels in the freezer. I was saving up enough to make a pie, but I've been failing to trap any lately.

OBVIOUS JOKE ALERT:

You grab them by their nuts and squeeze!!!  ;D ;D
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kathy

« Reply #28 on: 15 August, 2008, 04:40:39 pm »

RSPCA-approved humane method: immobilise the vermin in a sack, and hit it really really really hard on the back of the head. Instant death.

Tiger

« Reply #29 on: 15 August, 2008, 04:47:51 pm »

[/quote

RSPCA-approved humane method: immobilise the vermin in a sack, and hit it really really really hard on the back of the head. Instant death.

Wow - doesn't it hurt when you whack your head with a sqiirrel in a sack hard enough to kill it?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #30 on: 17 August, 2008, 02:20:39 pm »
Going OT here...

Is that like going into a chippy and ordering haddock?  Instant respect, that man knows his fish.

Ackcherly, the rationale for ordering haddock instead of cod is not so much "knowing your fish" as "knowing how chippies work" - most bog-standard chippies in the south sell mostly cod, so they tend to cook it in advance and leave it in the heater to enable fast turnaround. If you order haddock, it's more likely to be cooked to order, therefore much nicer to eat.

This obviously doesn't apply in the better class of chippy where all fish is cooked to order. And as Mrs P says, there are regional differences - in the north, haddock is more popular than cod - which I've heard is largely because of the belief that all cod is infested with worms. I don't know how true that is but Mrs P's comments seem to back it up.

But in any case, in a blind taste test, very few people will be able to tell the difference between cod and haddock.

Back on topic, I've eaten frogs legs but not in the last 20 years. Utterly pointless food - chickens' feet are better in all respects. You won't ever catch me eating slugs, though I might throw them on the BBQ for the fun of watching them die.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #31 on: 18 August, 2008, 10:24:29 pm »
More practical is Signal Crayfish, as scoffed by Hugh Fearlessly Eats it All.  Lurking in a stream/brook/river near you. Kill by freezing, cook by boiling or barbecuing.

To catch them properly you need an Environment Agency licence.

We had a barbecue at the Scout group I help run a few weeks ago. One of the boys had promised to bring some, but failed to do so. He dashed off to the stream in the playing field, turning over rocks, and ten minutes later returned with four good sized crayfish.   
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)