Author Topic: A random thread for the wildlife stuff - you know the drill  (Read 133903 times)

Re: A random thread for the wildlife stuff - you know the drill
« Reply #575 on: 09 March, 2021, 10:51:55 am »
"Les grues ont passé" This afternoon I saw two big groups (flights?) pass over Limoges heading up north. That is usually the sign that the wintry weather is finished. (For us commoners grue is a generic term for any group of birds flying at altitude in V formation - the actual bird type might not be a grue!.

Over here in Nevers, it's rather "Les oies". Both groups of birds probably belong to the same specie, although no one really knows whether they are geese or cranes!

« Reply #576 on: 09 March, 2021, 01:49:18 pm »
"Les grues ont passé" This afternoon I saw two big groups (flights?) pass over Limoges heading up north. That is usually the sign that the wintry weather is finished. (For us commoners grue is a generic term for any group of birds flying at altitude in V formation - the actual bird type might not be a grue!.

Over here in Nevers, it's rather "Les oies". Both groups of birds probably belong to the same specie, although no one really knows whether they are geese or cranes!

I think we have both in two separate waves but everyone refers to them as "les grues" regardless. Going out in autumn there are several weeks between the two. Spring seems to be a little less obvious. We are quite definitely on a flight path in Limoges - they may be using the lakes of the Brenne as a refuelling stop!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #578 on: 22 March, 2021, 08:11:13 pm »
RIP Freddie the seal :'(

Just saw that, very upsetting. Wish more dog owners were more considerate.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #580 on: 02 April, 2021, 11:59:35 am »
Does anyone know what these tubular items are, attached to the branches?

« Reply #581 on: 02 April, 2021, 12:51:31 pm »
Grey squirrel traps?
Don't look if easily upset....
https://www.greysquirrelcontrol.co.uk/spring-traps.php

« Reply #582 on: 02 April, 2021, 01:20:16 pm »
I think you might be right.

It’s the only tree in the place (Marble Hill Park, SW London) that has them. They are restoring the park at the moment, planting huge numbers of trees and shrubs, including 2 orchards, and that tree stands in one of those.

Presumably they are concerned about tree damage. To be fair the park is awash with greys.

« Reply #583 on: 02 April, 2021, 01:32:13 pm »
I know control of greys is used in areas up here that still have red squirrels. But I think the preferred method is live trap and despatch to make sure it's only the target species that is removed.  Not likely to be any reds in London, so as you say almost certainly they are kill traps to reduce damage to new trees.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #584 on: 02 April, 2021, 06:37:45 pm »
Does anyone know what these tubular items are, attached to the branches?

I was contemplating a rectangular item of similar size and position that has appeared on today's ride.

« Reply #585 on: 02 April, 2021, 10:19:15 pm »
I asked via their twitter and they tell me these are owl boxes. I don’t think so. Perhaps they have read my tweet but haven’t looked at my photo.

« Reply #586 on: 03 April, 2021, 08:25:31 am »
Not surprised that they will not admit on twitter that they are killing "cuddly furry mammals."
Lots of town folks will be feeding greys in gardens - regard them as pets.
Council can't pretend those are live traps and the animals will be released elsewhere as that is illegal.
Disclaimer: I know nothing about London.

« Reply #587 on: 03 April, 2021, 08:43:32 am »
They confirmed they are owl boxes when I expressed some doubt. I don't want to press the matter too hard as it may well be the case that they want to avoid controversy, so I jus thanked them for their reply. But they don’t look like any of the many other owl boxes I’ve seen in that park, and I doubt if you would have 3 owl boxes so close together on the same tree.

« Reply #589 on: 06 April, 2021, 01:18:08 pm »
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #590 on: 18 April, 2021, 08:20:42 pm »
Reunited a lamb with its family. It was stuck in a small field beside its flock's field. I negotiated the barbed wire into the small field, grabbed the lamb and chucked over more barbed wire into its home field.

« Reply #591 on: 21 April, 2021, 08:23:17 am »
Think we might be getting visits from badgers. Holes have appeared in the lawn:

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #592 on: 21 April, 2021, 01:15:52 pm »

Are you sure it's not your dog?  Our lawn has similar holes where our Border Terrier seems to dig and then eat the soil, or insects, or grass roots, or something.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #593 on: 21 April, 2021, 01:34:35 pm »

Are you sure it's not your dog?  Our lawn has similar holes where our Border Terrier seems to dig and then eat the soil, or insects, or grass roots, or something.

I'm going to setup a wildlife cam to check but I don't think its Tilly. She isn't a digger. We have had her nearly six years and this is a first. We had similar holes years ago during one hot summer and we didn't have a dog then. I know at least six badger sets with quarter of  a mile of here and we front onto a single track lane with fields on the other side of it so badgers wouldn't be a shock.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #594 on: 29 April, 2021, 04:07:24 pm »
When we moved in, about 3 months ago, there was a 20l bin full of birdseed, left by the previous owners (along with a note requesting that we feed the birds).

There is a feeding station/table thing opposite the kitchen window.

The bin is nearly empty. 20l in about 3 months.

We get sparrows, chaffinches, Redwings, starlings, blackbirds, greenfinches, goldfinches and coaltits (that I've identified so far). A few lazy pigeons as well.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #595 on: 29 April, 2021, 07:15:46 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #596 on: 02 May, 2021, 02:14:07 pm »
Following on from the Sgt Pluck identify a thing photo, here's another one

Seen in a curated but fairly wild wood, that apparently used to have a lot of dormice, but squirrels.
It is simpler than it looks.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #598 on: 16 May, 2021, 11:27:41 pm »
We found this on a roadside. Anyone do nest ID?

IMG_8148_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #599 on: 18 May, 2021, 01:48:19 pm »
This story https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-57156565 has cat family being found in bird's nest up a tree, which I admit is unusual. Cat Protection are reported to state tom cats don't usually hang about family.
I do wonder if that's the case if cats go feral/semi-feral.

Our story is that Big Tom alway made sure kittens had food before he ate, after their pregnant mother turned against them. I suspect toms are protective and acquisitive when food & shelter are scarce but indifferent/independent otherwise.