Author Topic: Anyone built a cargo bike  (Read 7343 times)

Anyone built a cargo bike
« on: 16 January, 2018, 07:59:44 pm »
I've posted in wanted incase anyone is shifting one but just wondered if anyone on here has made a cargo bike. I'm considering it. Would be a three wheel box at front type. Would need to practice my welding first

Re: Anyone built a cargo bike
« Reply #1 on: 16 January, 2018, 08:33:18 pm »
I've always gone for trailers - easier to build, easier to store, more versatile.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #2 on: 17 January, 2018, 09:19:44 am »
If you need plans, it's worth having a look at the Atomic Zombie site. The instructions and pictures are useful (though I'm building a recumbent trike, so it's not the same). Trikes do take up a lot of garage space though.

« Reply #3 on: 17 January, 2018, 09:46:50 am »
Instructions here too, if useful: https://toolsforasimplelife.wordpress.com/2013/02/14/illustrated-box-bike-instructions/

Would be very tempted if I had a garage to take up lots of space in :-)

« Reply #4 on: 17 January, 2018, 05:00:29 pm »
Far easier to build a trailer.

I have a very simple frame (for a commercial trailer), works with a weber hitch and 26" tyres. That was ok up to 100kg of cargo.

Can photograph it if you'd like, give you some measurements. Wouldn't be difficult for someone with welding skills to duplicate.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 17 January, 2018, 07:03:41 pm »
I currently have a burley trailer but for future plans I'd like a cargo bike. Thanks for the trailer offers. I'll probably build one of them at some point anyway