Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1630201 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #1975 on: 25 June, 2012, 04:29:22 pm »
Cystitis of doom.  Marvellous.  :(

Quite possibly related to a damp weekend in a windswept swamp with suboptimal washing facilities...

« Reply #1976 on: 25 June, 2012, 04:35:30 pm »
Aaargggh. The tickets that were £16 for ages have suddenly gone up to £31 overnight. Why didn't I buy them yesterday?
i don't understand this. Just checked again and they're back to £16.  ??? Think I'll buy them now before they change again!

The other evening I met a woman who worked for the dept of Virgin trains where they decided how many cheap tickets to issue etc. I asked her about this. She said it should only happen if someone had bought cheap tickets and then cancelled them (so they go back on the market), because the message they were trying to get out was to get people to buy as early as possible to get the cheapest tickets.

« Reply #1977 on: 25 June, 2012, 04:36:21 pm »

Quite possibly related to a damp weekend in a windswept swamp with suboptimal washing facilities...

Ouch. Sympathy indeed.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1978 on: 25 June, 2012, 08:33:23 pm »

Ouch. Sympathy indeed.

More sympathy from me.

Get thee a pint mug and some fruit squash. Defeat the bugs by dilution, knowledge and MATHS.

Bugs multiply exponentially, doubling every 20 minutes.

Drink pint of squash. Refill glass.
Drink contents when you've been for a pee.

Repeat six times, them stop.

GWS!

Do not continue drinking if you're not peeing - you don't want water intoxication. Try to empty your bladder as completely as possible.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1979 on: 25 June, 2012, 08:40:45 pm »
Pee standing up in the shower if you can. If not, pee till you think you're empty, stand up for a minute, then sit down and pee some more. Or use a shewee. If it stings, pouring warm water over yourself as you pee takes the sting out of it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1980 on: 25 June, 2012, 08:44:46 pm »
Mmmm cranberry juice :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1981 on: 25 June, 2012, 09:05:25 pm »
Get thee a pint mug and some fruit squash. Defeat the bugs by dilution, knowledge and MATHS.

Bugs multiply exponentially, doubling every 20 minutes.

Drink pint of squash. Refill glass.
Drink contents when you've been for a pee.

Repeat six times, them stop.

A technique I've used to good effect in the past, and it appears to be working now.  Typically, I first noticed symptoms while on the train this morning, which is a fairly bad place for anything requiring frequent toilet trips.  I made do with drinking my remaining water supply on the (thankfully recumbent) ride back from Mordor Central, and following up with a bottle of Frijj and a pint of dilute orange when I got home.

Large volumes of fluid like that tend to result in IBS consequences, but I think I've headed those off with pre-emptive Buscopan.  And yet another attack of the poo is better than letting these things fester.

Cranberry juice, on the other hand, is ming of the highest order, and makes obtaining Trimethoprim at short notice seem like fun (cystitis, like hearing aid failure, is one of those things that usually happens at the start of bank holiday weekends).  :hand:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1982 on: 25 June, 2012, 09:10:30 pm »
Heh, I came to quite enjoy the taste of cranberry juice :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #1983 on: 25 June, 2012, 09:19:50 pm »
I was encouraged to drink squash with a tsp of bicarbonate of soda dissolved in it.  It helped, but it was horrid. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1984 on: 25 June, 2012, 09:22:31 pm »
I've tried that, too.  Tastes better than cranberry juice, but has a rather spectacular effect on the bowels.

In the absence of something sensible like antibiotics, I reckon volume of fluid should suffice.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1985 on: 25 June, 2012, 11:20:14 pm »
A bladder full of dilute wee is not too painful to pass; it's the small volumes of boggy, buggy pee that hurt.
Waiting until your bladder is fairly full won't make things worse if you're drinking lots.
I went through a trimethoprim-resistant phase of UTIs.
Sometimes a short sharp fluid burst is best.
GWS!

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #1986 on: 26 June, 2012, 05:05:50 pm »
Given all of modern technology why can't a tumble dryer dry a duvet cover?
Three times I have unrolled the duvet cover and put it back in.  Three times the dryer has put all the wet bits of the cover into the middle of a ball and reheated dried the dry parts of the cover on the outside. :facepalm:

The duvet cover is now strung out across the furniture to dry by natural evaporation. ::-)

« Reply #1987 on: 26 June, 2012, 05:28:45 pm »
<pissing contest> I spent a year with cystitis symptoms and no causal organisms found </pissing contest>
Including a 'romantic' weekend in Rome. In August. Yes, every bit as bad as you think it might be.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1988 on: 26 June, 2012, 05:35:58 pm »
<pissing contest> I spent a year with cystitis symptoms and no causal organisms found </pissing contest>
Including a 'romantic' weekend in Rome. In August. Yes, every bit as bad as you think it might be.

I paid a high price for a romantic Valentine's weekend.
My bike was stolen and I got a UTI...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1989 on: 26 June, 2012, 06:00:55 pm »
Sainsbury's no longer give vouchers for late delivery.
They never informed the customers.

« Reply #1990 on: 26 June, 2012, 06:22:34 pm »
Given all of modern technology why can't a tumble dryer dry a duvet cover?
Three times I have unrolled the duvet cover and put it back in.  Three times the dryer has put all the wet bits of the cover into the middle of a ball and reheated dried the dry parts of the cover on the outside. :facepalm:

The duvet cover is now strung out across the furniture to dry by natural evaporation. ::-)

I wonder if it's an effect of the wet bits being heavier or something?

Still, at least with two of us yesterday, changing the cover was a bit easier!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1991 on: 26 June, 2012, 06:25:58 pm »

Right.  I'm never doing anything romantic ever again.  Just to be on the safe side, like.

(Pain free, urine clear of blood, trace for protein as of earlier this afternoon  :thumbsup:)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1992 on: 26 June, 2012, 07:36:37 pm »

Right.  I'm never doing anything romantic ever again.  Just to be on the safe side, like.

(Pain free, urine clear of blood, trace for protein as of earlier this afternoon  :thumbsup:)

Pleased to hear you're better.
I think I've 'outgrown' my tendency to UTIs.
You may, too...

I think the real lesson from my anecdatum is that parking bicycles outside a hospital overnight is Not Advised.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1993 on: 27 June, 2012, 08:56:56 pm »
X-Country: your stickers proclaiming "Free WiFi; wireless internet available in this coach" are lying.
Fixing the air-conditioning would be nice too.

Even so, it's nicer than a Voyager.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1994 on: 27 June, 2012, 09:02:09 pm »
It's free on First Class and free if you pay them £LOTS via a credit card, innit?

« Reply #1995 on: 27 June, 2012, 09:03:06 pm »

Fixing the air-conditioning would be nice too.

Ah, I wonder if that's the one I was in a couple of months back....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1996 on: 27 June, 2012, 09:07:20 pm »
I think that's the one I was on on Monday.  I wasn't mentally prepared for a HST, and got a bit flustered securing the bike (and inevitably leaving things I wanted with me in the panniers attached to it).  The air conditioning wasn't doing a lot, but the loo was mostly harmless (smelling mostly of cheap liquid soap) and getting a GPS signal on my phone was a novelty.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1997 on: 27 June, 2012, 09:13:26 pm »
It's free on First Class and free if you pay them £LOTS via a credit card, innit?
This train's just b0rked.  And, I AM, as usual, in First Class. [insert 'smug' smiley here]

X-country have only 5 HSTs, of which most days see only 2 in use.  So sorting the wifi on them isn't a priority.

Edit: But a Mordor->Tamworth start-to-stop of 15 mins was quite, erm, interesting.  RMallard (126mph) was sustained for at least a minute.  And then a full brake application as we went through Wilnecote. Let's see what he can do from here to Beertown.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1998 on: 28 June, 2012, 02:56:47 pm »
The roofer couldn't look at the roof because of the mad seagulls.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1999 on: 28 June, 2012, 05:13:35 pm »
Seagulls..
I recollect installing roof mounted condensing units for the Chelsea Girl shop in Sunderland.
Of our own volition we chose to wear hard hats,goggles,ear defenders & paper overalls for protection from beaks & shit.
For 5 days we were subject to aerial attack from the multitude of seagulls nesting on the flat roof.I didn't realise how aggresive these birds can be :o