Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 512326 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Xanthan gum seems to be key then. Best get some. Thanks!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

In separate news, while I have a Santoku and I like the idea of it and use it from time to time, I had not found anything that actually needed a Santoku, as opposed to being slightly easier. Until today. Cutting freshly dug potatoes, the sort that are as brittle as a brittle thing for a day or so. My normal knives are all too thick and split rather than cut, even the six inch, the santoku sliced like a ninja.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
the santoku sliced like a ninja.

And cut like a razor blade, I’ll warrant.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Just had some "bottled conditioned" ale, with NO yeast sediment.  How does that work?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
It's easy to transport, will sit in a ship for several weeks without going off. China has the world's biggest garlic industry by far.

C'est une disgrâce!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

Just had some "bottled conditioned" ale, with NO yeast sediment.  How does that work?
Presumably not settled, ie it was dispersed in the liquid and you drank it.

You’ll be able to tell by the severity of your hangover tomorrow.

Biscoff ice cream :D

Not seen it before
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Saw some left-over pasta in the fridge last night, MrsT said it was going spare so I nuked it with some smoky lardons and ate it with butter & parmesan.  It was revolting.  "What's in it?" "Roasted vegetables."  By the flavour, cucumber or snot courgette.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

I'm tidying up the cupboard in which I keep my camping kit.  Tucked away at the back , 4 pouches of freeze dried main meals with "best before" dates ranging from 2013 to 2015.......

Goulash,  Rice with Fish & Tomatoes,  Mushroom & Chicken Risotto, Game Casserole......

Dare I....... ???

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

Yes, you do dare, but only one at a time. Alternatively, save them for a hot date.

Srsly, can those things even go off? As long as they're still sealed, I can't imagine anything bad happening to them. I also can't imagine anything good happening, but you knew that when you bought them. You could even save them for your next camping trip...

I'm tidying up the cupboard in which I keep my camping kit.  Tucked away at the back , 4 pouches of freeze dried main meals with "best before" dates ranging from 2013 to 2015.......

Goulash,  Rice with Fish & Tomatoes,  Mushroom & Chicken Risotto, Game Casserole......

Dare I....... ???
You'll be fine.
A few weeks ago I had some Vegemite dated as 2012.
I'm still here.

nicknack

• Hornblower

Dare I....... ???
You'll be fine.
I'm still here.
"Once opened consume within 4 weeks" on a jar of capers I finished tonight after starting a couple of years ago (BBE Feb 2020).
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Well, I was best before 1980.  Mrs B has survived.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Some old cupboard foods may taste rancid or stale but are not harmful.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I've eaten salami that had lived for a year in my cycling backpack.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

Dare I....... ???
You'll be fine.
I'm still here.

Objection, yeronner!  Vegemite is not “food”.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

It’s that time of year again (well, has been for a couple of weeks at least) when nectarines, and best if all, white fleshed flat peaches, are in season.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Dare I....... ???

Dare I....... ???

<Dr Pepper> What's the worst that could happen? </Dr Pepper>  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Got up early to catch the coolth and now it feels like lunchtime.

citoyen

This is most entertaining -

British woman makes egg fried rice:
https://youtu.be/KpKPueBqFWc

Chinese man takes exception:
https://youtu.be/53me-ICi_f8

Slightly surprised he didn't pick up on her pre-cooking the egg - I always add the egg raw, so you can really mix it through the rice properly. But maybe I'd get a kicking from Uncle Roger for doing that!

Cudzoziemiec

;D He might be the Hambini of cooking (no, not rude enough) but I agree with him. Except perhaps the induction hob, I don't think I've ever used one of them.

citoyen

Except perhaps the induction hob, I don't think I've ever used one of them.

Nothing wrong with induction hobs, I'm a big fan. I can live with his disapproval on that point.  ;D

ian

Uncle Roger afraid of ghosts. Not egg fried rice.

He's right about the MSG though. Admittedly, I accidentally bought a 10 kg bag, so I've been putting it in everything for the last three years.

ETA: as a serious point, trust me, adding MSG to anything savoury is awesome. And it's vital for a stirfry.

ian

This is most entertaining -

British woman makes egg fried rice:
https://youtu.be/KpKPueBqFWc

Chinese man takes exception:
https://youtu.be/53me-ICi_f8

Slightly surprised he didn't pick up on her pre-cooking the egg - I always add the egg raw, so you can really mix it through the rice properly. But maybe I'd get a kicking from Uncle Roger for doing that!

They get an egg-fried round 2 – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGtR3l_JeUo