Author Topic: Where has all the grapefruit juice gone?  (Read 5230 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Where has all the grapefruit juice gone?
« on: 02 August, 2018, 09:44:36 am »
No one stocks UHT grapefruit juice anymore.  Sains theoretically have it online (haven't tried ordering) but not in any stores.  They only have fresh Tropicana at 3x the price.  Asda don't have it.  What's going on?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

Re: Where has all the grapefruit juice gone?
« Reply #1 on: 02 August, 2018, 09:57:31 am »
A horrible, horrible mistake by Donald's carers. Every evening they have taken to immersing him in a swimming pool filled with lukewarm orange juice. They then leave him marinating overnight in order to maintain his indelicately luminous skin tone.

As they've no run short of OJ they bought grapefruit instead. Any reference to his new slightly hulkish hue will be fake news and CNN lies.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 02 August, 2018, 11:54:31 am »
Suspect there was declining demand.

Grapefruit diets went out of fashion.

Then some medicines were found to have potentially fatal interactions with grapefruit juice.

I don't like grapefruit much. David hates it. We don't get it so haven't missed it.

« Reply #3 on: 02 August, 2018, 01:13:43 pm »
It's all gone into The Scottish Brewery™'s Elvis Juice.

I think there was a problem with the grapefruit harvest in Florida last year...?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 02 August, 2018, 01:40:04 pm »
The problem is not with the grapefruit harvest, there's a shortage of Ultra Heat. Ultra Heat Treatment is actually a more intense form of Deep Heat. You can't get it over the counters but it's used in hospitals for physiotherapy (and to keep junior doctors awake towards the end of their shifts). It was this Ultra Heat that gave grapefruit juice its distinctive flavour and aroma.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 02 August, 2018, 02:13:47 pm »
Gwynneth Paltrow has cornered the market in preparation for her next vaginal-cleanse campaign.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6 on: 06 August, 2018, 09:15:10 pm »
I liked grapefruit and grapefruit juice, but they are now thought to be dangerous with many medications.

There is an enzyme in Grapefruit that affect the breakdown of drugs and in turn this means that the dose can be much higher than prescribed

From NHS Choice:

It is already known that grapefruits contain a group of chemicals, furanocoumarins, which can affect drug metabolism – the amount of time it takes for a drug to be broken down by the body.
The chemical inhibits an enzyme that breaks down drugs, this can cause more ‘active’ drug to be present in the body than was intended with the given dose. This can then trigger unpleasant, and sometimes serious, side effects.

I take one of the specific drugs that interacts and the SPC clearly states that Grapefruit should be avoided

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 06 August, 2018, 09:52:08 pm »
Indeed. I knew there were interactions with some medicines and posted about this upthread, before reading up a bit more.

The list seems HUGE!

In my defence, I see most problems were described after I qualified and mostly involved drugs I never prescribed, but the list scares me!

ian

« Reply #8 on: 07 August, 2018, 07:48:42 am »
Well, there's probably a huger list of things that affect drug metabolism that we don't know about. Plants are full of chemicals anyway, most of them toxic. Avoid chemicals, eat natural people!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #9 on: 07 August, 2018, 01:20:41 pm »
Avoid chemicals, eat natural people!

Agreed!  Organic and free-range people are the tastiest.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 07 August, 2018, 03:05:09 pm »
Avoid chemicals, eat natural people!

Agreed!  Organic and free-range people are the tastiest.

Just make sure you wash them thoroughly first.

ian

« Reply #11 on: 07 August, 2018, 05:47:10 pm »
Naturally organic people not only don't have chemicals, they're also gluten free.