Author Topic: I could have commuted in today but...  (Read 98693 times)

Re: I could have commuted in today but...
« Reply #550 on: 28 November, 2016, 11:57:45 am »
..but since I left my bike at work... I had to take the dreaded Tube... only 8 stops and each stop was a living hell of bacteria, colds, cough and stinkin' armpits.  :sick:

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #551 on: 12 January, 2017, 11:55:44 am »
after 2 return trips where I got totally soaked, I just did not have the willpower for it today.

I am however, getting very, very comfortable with the scooter, which is not a good thing! Am going to try and ride tomorrow depending on the how much ice I thing we will have

« Reply #552 on: 12 January, 2017, 12:55:48 pm »
They said Winter Was Coming overnight.

My bridge opened at 07:29 after being closed all day yesterday, and it was +2.

pfft.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #553 on: 12 January, 2017, 01:10:12 pm »
I'm not yet hard enough to shrug off a cold wet commute, especially as I'm still trying to shift a cough which has been around for too long.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #554 on: 16 January, 2017, 09:26:28 am »
I thought I was strong enough to return running with my friends on a Saturday morning. Well, I'm not. My hamstring went 'boing' after half a mile. Limped back to my car. The bike ride I was going to do yesterday never happened, and I didn't leave the house.

Limped into work this morning.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Riggers

« Reply #555 on: 18 January, 2017, 09:10:05 am »
^
Yesterday morning too, and this morning as well.

Riggers

« Reply #556 on: 19 January, 2017, 09:04:47 am »
^
… and this morning too.

Riggers

« Reply #557 on: 20 January, 2017, 08:34:22 am »
^
Ditto.

« Reply #558 on: 05 May, 2017, 07:08:25 am »
But I'm taking a gaggle of girls out to dinner, so the cattle car it is.

« Reply #559 on: 02 March, 2018, 07:23:08 am »
After getting pushed around all over the road last night I decided conditions were such that it qualified as 'ruddy silly', trains seem to be unpredictable and I had the offer of a lift, so gas guzzling dinosaur it was.

« Reply #560 on: 02 March, 2018, 08:21:55 am »
Seeing as my Schwalbe Ice Spikers proved rather not up to the task on snow & slush yesterday, I reluctantly drove in today & I sailed through. First time I've been 40 minutes early for this crap job!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #561 on: 08 April, 2018, 05:09:08 pm »
It is four month since I managed to commute normally.   I had a very bad cold around Christmas sitting in my throat. So I did not try again until February almost restarted then my crank snapped.  I swapped bikes.  Red bike was not running well so it got me to work :-).  As I set off I noticed the flange of the rear hub had snapped. So I walked it to the station. Green bike had very worn brake pads so I could not use that until I got some new ones.  So I go off on my ski holiday. Two days skiiing then I go shopping.  On the way back I step off the edge of a firm snowy path and my right leg disappeared twisting my left knee.

So for the past few weeks I have been using train and bike.  One or two more weeks and I will be fine (but fat).

« Reply #562 on: 09 April, 2018, 07:22:35 am »
Running too late to get the train I wanted in with my bike and the later train I can't be certain of room for bike.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Riggers

« Reply #563 on: 30 April, 2018, 08:57:13 am »
I fair-weathered walked into work this morning. Stayed dryer, and as I put little faith in car drivers nowadays, I doubted their ability to concentrate on a wet Monday morning, with heavy squally wind-blown rain diverting their concentration to manoeuvre their children to school.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #564 on: 29 June, 2018, 01:22:20 pm »
I could not commute today because I am retired.

Must change name.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #565 on: 29 June, 2018, 02:15:29 pm »
I could not commute today because I am retired.

Must change name.
On the contrary, your name is now more appropriate than ever; just one metre of commute would be too far!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #566 on: 01 December, 2018, 08:54:05 am »
I'm working tomorrow and may consider the cage given the forecast and total absence of trains all day  ??? but I always feel guilty driving into the city  :-\

Well today is tomorrow and am at work, working would be stretching it. The trains thing is a strike and I'm tired to the point of feeling really low so couldn't face the bike. Mrs S needs the cage, so a lift it was, that's a double dose of guilt and I'm now overdrawn in the brownie point account  :(

« Reply #567 on: 10 September, 2019, 08:22:03 am »
I was all set to ride in. Bike washed and lubricated over the weekend. Tyres pumped up. In cycling kit.
First ride since I broke my ankle.
Back tyre has gone flat since Sunday. No time to sort, even if I have the wherewithal.
So a quick shower and I’m back in the car again.  >:(
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #568 on: 24 September, 2019, 03:15:48 pm »
Absolutely hosing down. Flooded roads bouncing rain. And with my winter bike about to be replaced, I just decided the car would be more comfortable. Slower though.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #569 on: 25 September, 2019, 06:23:16 pm »
Yesterday: floods.  Flooding outside my work was front page on the bbc.
In hindsight I would still have been better off on the bike.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #570 on: 06 December, 2019, 09:04:18 am »
I got soaked to the skin going home last night and it was pissing down this morning too.  So I took the car of shame this morning, and of course when I left a 45 mins later the rain had eased and its dry now  :(

« Reply #571 on: 06 December, 2019, 10:09:20 am »
I got soaked to the skin going home last night and it was pissing down this morning too.  So I took the car of shame this morning, and of course when I left a 45 mins later the rain had eased and its dry now  :(

I saw the forecast for yesterday and did the same, took the car without any guilt though. It was the correct decision due to the wind and horizontal rain, sometimes you just need to do it.
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

Riggers

« Reply #572 on: 09 December, 2019, 09:15:05 am »
Working from home now, and no longer get the bike out in the morning for the half mile commute. It does go out, but can now avoid the rush-hour/kids-to-school madness. Having said that, this time of year, building up to Christmas it appears the rush-hour twattery is extended throughout much of the day.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #573 on: 09 December, 2019, 10:01:46 am »
The traditional Christmas driving started in early November, I reckon.

ian

« Reply #574 on: 10 December, 2019, 08:37:07 am »
Christmas party (and I still feel a bit rough after a cold took a tour of my body at the weekend), so the train for me. Plus it's getting to the time of year to throw in the towel, leastways for later rides home, the roads fill with pissed-up drivers who will have correctly figured by now that the likelihood of being pulled over by the police is close to zero.