Author Topic: The Killing - Part 1 - what happened???  (Read 12163 times)

The Killing - Part 1 - what happened???
« on: 30 January, 2011, 04:53:48 pm »
For various reasons, I thought The Killing was an episodal thing, like Wallander. Turns out it's a series. I only recorded Part 2 onwards & missed it on iPlayer, Soooo, who can give me a run down of what happened in episode 1?

TIA
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: The Killing - Part 1 - what happened???
« Reply #1 on: 30 January, 2011, 06:04:26 pm »
This is a very good series.It reminds me of the French Spirals tv dramas.

I think episode 1 was the murder plus the fact that our heroine was on her last day at work before she moved with her son and boyfriend to Sweden.

Did you notice Thais parked his van in a Copenhagian cycle lane when he went into the cafe.

Prime suspect at the moment is Vagn,Thais chief assistant in the removal business.But this is a little to obvious perhaps.

n
Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

« Reply #2 on: 30 January, 2011, 06:15:52 pm »
For various reasons, I thought The Killing was an episodal thing, like Wallander. Turns out it's a series.

[Pedantic mode]In traditional British TV terminology, Wallander is a series, i.e. a set of self-contained episodes but with common themes & characters. The Killing is a serial, i.e. a continuing story.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3 on: 30 January, 2011, 06:31:58 pm »
Only at 4/20 and Vagn seems to be almost putting himself forward as a suspect so it's probably not him

I'd like it to implicate Bremer the mayor for no other reason than he's a greasy slime ball but that's probably a conspiracy theory too far.

Lisa's goody two shoes persona seems to be disapearing rapidly.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4 on: 30 January, 2011, 11:06:18 pm »
I just saw a trailer that mentioned you could catch up with what's gone before on iPlayer, which suggested to me that all the episodes are there and don't expire in a week. I just checked and episode 1 is there.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 02 February, 2011, 10:22:40 am »
I just saw a trailer that mentioned you could catch up with what's gone before on iPlayer, which suggested to me that all the episodes are there and don't expire in a week. I just checked and episode 1 is there.

Plus it's on BBC4, isn't it? So it'll be repeated ad nauseam anyway, and will eventually be on BBC2.

Which is good, because I missed it and have heard lots of good things about it.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: 02 February, 2011, 11:27:33 am »
TWFKAML says this is a Danish version of Twin Peaks.  I have no opinion on this, since I am made entirely from wood and also haven't watched it, but if I want Twin Peaks I know where to find it1.

1 - In Bambi's DVD collection.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7 on: 02 February, 2011, 11:43:59 am »

Oh good, thanks!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #8 on: 02 February, 2011, 01:11:23 pm »
I watched episodes 1-3 last night on iplayer. I agree this appears to be an above average crime drama.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #9 on: 02 February, 2011, 01:20:02 pm »
Mrs Manotea said she'd cracked Swedish and moved on to Danish. She said Danish is much harder to follow.

I asked what Danish was for 'Police'. She said she could spell it but couldn't pronounce it yet.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #10 on: 16 February, 2011, 11:15:42 am »
I've rather got into this thanks to the joys of a telly which speaks Intertube.  Moreover I've fallen in lust with Rie and reckon that Troels is Lance Armstrong's older brother.  Both Rama and the beardy perv teacher are too obvious to have dunnit but there's still another six weeks to go.  I shall watch eps 7 & 8 tonight.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #11 on: 16 February, 2011, 02:23:03 pm »
I'm loving this - we don't have TV so just started watching on iPlayer following a newspaper review. I'm check every nigth for the next one!
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #12 on: 17 February, 2011, 10:41:32 am »
Caught up now.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #13 on: 17 February, 2011, 06:01:44 pm »
Caught up now.

(click to show/hide)

+1  Rama :(

I still think things may lead back to Bremer.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #14 on: 17 February, 2011, 07:06:59 pm »
Caught up now.

(click to show/hide)

+1  Rama :(

I still think things may lead back to Bremer.

Rama may be saved by the fact that the cops are tracking the location of his mobile.

Bremer? Sounds like she got close to Rama. She found stuff out? Political stuff? No signs of a motive at all at the moment that's for sure [I've certainly missed all the signs if there have been any! :)]

Watch very little telly these days, but just happened to catch this from the beginning. It's got me well hooked.
Garry Broad

« Reply #15 on: 19 February, 2011, 08:43:50 am »
Finally got round to watching the first 2 episodes last night. It's rather good, isn't it?

Very convoluted plot, but believably so. I have the rest of the episodes so far to watch & I don't think it'll take long to catch up.

« Reply #16 on: 20 February, 2011, 04:09:51 pm »
Yeah..but

Last night's episodes 19.02.

The yellow van that arrived from Sweden for Lund.This was not fully explained.

Can i assume that this was the boyfriend returning her gear from the house in Sweden?

A sorta goodbye.

n

If she wears that jumper for many more days it will begin to ripen :-[
Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

« Reply #17 on: 20 February, 2011, 04:44:20 pm »
Just one minor quibble I have and that's with the title. I'm pretty sure Foerbrydelesen (sic) means the much more ambiguous "The Crime", as it's close to the similar word in Swedish, so I'm wondering why we have to have it clearly spelt out to us in the translatiion.

« Reply #18 on: 20 February, 2011, 09:39:33 pm »
Just one minor quibble I have and that's with the title. I'm pretty sure Foerbrydelesen (sic) means the much more ambiguous "The Crime", as it's close to the similar word in Swedish, so I'm wondering why we have to have it clearly spelt out to us in the translatiion.

The original title is 'The crime', however the title of the American remake coming out later this year is 'the killing'

I guess we're being prepared for the BBC showing the Leftpondian version later
― Douglas Adams

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #19 on: 21 February, 2011, 11:52:40 am »

« Reply #20 on: 21 February, 2011, 04:09:16 pm »
American remake
FFS ???

That would explain the dumbing down of the title. Don't they have the word "ambiguity" in Merriam-Webster? Or "originality", come to that...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #21 on: 21 February, 2011, 06:46:10 pm »
It may work perfectly in Swedish, but in English "The Crime" is an appaling title. "The Killing" isn't great, but it's an improvement!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #22 on: 22 February, 2011, 10:24:11 am »
It may work perfectly in Swedish, but in English "The Crime" is an appaling title. "The Killing" isn't great, but it's an improvement!

Especially when pronounced inna Henry Portrait and Ally Welles stylee.

« Reply #23 on: 22 February, 2011, 04:00:35 pm »
Have to disagree with you there. "The Crime" in Danish or Swedish is obviously meant to imply some ambiguity about which crime is being discussed. Ostensibly it's the murder, & both Danish & Swedish have "Mordet" to cover that. They obviously chose not to use that title and deliberately left the ambiguity hanging there. I'm only half a dozen episodes into the serial, so I can't say for sure, but I'll guess there are other crimes going to appear.

Mis-translating it as "The Killing" is pure dumbing down.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #24 on: 22 February, 2011, 04:03:08 pm »
Mis-translating it as "The Killing" is pure dumbing down.

In "Hart to Hart" it was always "Moider".