Author Topic: Horizon: the secret life of the cat  (Read 4995 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Horizon: the secret life of the cat
« on: 08 June, 2013, 03:01:47 pm »
Horizon has fixed GPS trackers to 50 pet cats in Surrey to see what they do all day. I can only assume the cats they're using in the programme on Thursday lead more interesting lives than Boris, who appears to sleep for 23 hours out of every 24.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Re: Horizon: the secret life of the cat
« Reply #1 on: 08 June, 2013, 06:32:05 pm »
Didn't Horizon used to be a science programme? Unless I'm missing something, this don't sound like no science to me.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 08 June, 2013, 07:06:28 pm »
While I agree about the decline of Horizon (and BBC science programming in general[1]), how is studying animal behaviour not science?

For all we know they may have decoded the rules of Cat Chess :)

[1] Bang Goes The Theory deserves honourable mention for bringing back Tomorrows World by the back door...

spindrift

« Reply #3 on: 08 June, 2013, 07:23:51 pm »

I is exploring.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4 on: 08 June, 2013, 11:17:14 pm »
I remember walking home from the pub a few years ago, and I saw maybe 6-7 cats sitting in a semi-circle on a low roof. They were mewling/howling to each other but as soon as they saw me they stopped and stared, in the manner of a group of people would if you mistakenly walked into a room where they having a meeting. I looked sheepishly at my shoes and carried on walking. That's why I'm sceptical that Horizon have got to the truth on this.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 08 June, 2013, 11:55:57 pm »
Horizon is using video cameras as well as GPS.  I'd love to put a camera on Ginger next door, but he's so active that the camera is bound to get lost, broken or stolen.  The BBC's budget is a bit higher than mine.  :thumbsup:
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 10 June, 2013, 01:21:49 pm »
The late Mr Josh, who was surprisingly diurnal for a cat (they're normally crepuscular) used to patrol "his" boundary every morning after breakfast.  This involved the entire primary school perimeter and the two acres of the property to the side (now sadly used for 9 "executive" homes but used to be wild and overgrown).  We used to see this white and tabby shape mooching along in the distance.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #7 on: 10 June, 2013, 01:35:14 pm »
I haven't proved this as fact, but I suspect our cat never goes anything like as far from home as in that picture above - I doubt he ever goes further than the end of the garden tbh.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 10 June, 2013, 02:55:03 pm »
When I was a kid 'my' cat sometimes used to follow me to school in the morning (in those days, children walked to school).  Every time she'd get to the end of her territory halfway down the road, stop and mowl pitifully that it was the edge of the world and I should come back so I didn't fall off (or the big black cat from a few houses down would get me, perhaps).

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #9 on: 10 June, 2013, 03:13:09 pm »
Our huge, fierce moggie we had when we were kids (regularly used to bring rabbits home, used to fight the local foxes) had a huge territory. At the back of my dad's house it's all fields and Tiptoes was regularly spotted a couple of miles from home. Bobb's cat Boris, on the other hand, rarely makes it off the end of bobb's bed.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 10 June, 2013, 03:39:15 pm »
Our huge, fierce moggie we had when we were kids (regularly used to bring rabbits home, used to fight the local foxes) had a huge territory. At the back of my dad's house it's all fields and Tiptoes was regularly spotted a couple of miles from home. Bobb's cat Boris, on the other hand, rarely makes it off the end of bobb's bed.
That's because bobb is a pussy magnet.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #11 on: 10 June, 2013, 04:40:46 pm »
While I agree about the decline of Horizon (and BBC science programming in general[1]), how is studying animal behaviour not science?

Hmm. By that low bar, reading Playboy is actually "studying anatomy".

EDIT: Apparently, it is: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1748681511004359 (caution: scholarly paper but contains pictures of anatomy) although apparently he used the Sun rather than Playboy.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 10 June, 2013, 05:04:14 pm »
A low bar to subjects being studied by the scientific method is a feature, not a bug.

I have a friend who studies the migratory behaviour of vultures.  As this involves lots of lounging around in hot countries drinking rum, with brief interludes for getting vomited on by captured birds (to fit radio trackers) and occasional bouts of malaria, this is about 1000% more scientific than strapping a GPS logger to Greebo and Boris and seeing how much wildlife they terrorise.

« Reply #13 on: 10 June, 2013, 05:45:37 pm »
You worry about the BBC sometimes. Several months ago on Feedback they had some top woman on from Radio 4. They were talking about complaints that Radio 4 had axed several science programs and part of her defense was that they had commissioned "The Life Scientific". She couldn't get it through her head that a program that is a biography of a scientist and a discussion with them about their career is not actually a program about science any more than an a biography of Alan Ayckbourn would be a play.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #14 on: 10 June, 2013, 05:48:41 pm »
Horizon is there to entertain people who watch telly, rather than make them prove themselves in some kind of intellectual fight to the death. Admittedly, when I was young, science on TV gave even clever folks the sort of epic nosebleed that normally required your being hit on the nose by an agitated rhino. Not sufficient to have you bleeding, they'd then punch you in the brain with Mr Schrödinger's really hard wave equation, leaving you mentally gasping and intellectually winded. That's why TV used to look black and white, the whirling vortex of intellectualism would stuck up so much brain power that you weren't left with enough left to process colour. That was proper science telly, back when O Levels were hard and A Levels were so tough that they were genuinely fatal (coincidentally, they became easy the year after I completed them).

I want to know what my cats do. OK, they sleep a lot, but you've got to think that maybe they're teleported their brains somewhere while they sleep, perhaps to some kind of undersea (or possibly orbital) HQ where they discuss their next phase of human-behavioural modification. But when they're in-body, mine are out there somewhere. For all I know they're taking in a west-end show or pulling on floppy blond wigs and standing in for Boris. I want to know. Plus there's several cats that hang out in my garden. It's all a bit sinister. I suspect they get together and act French. No, I don't just want to know, we as a people need to know what our felines are doing.

Mind you, the threat posed by cats is nothing compared to that of the dolphins. Something should be done about them. I advocate turning the sea into treacle to slow them down.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 10 June, 2013, 05:52:33 pm »
Mind you, the threat posed by cats is nothing compared to that of the dolphins. Something should be done about them.

Both cat and dolphin overlords can be appeased with offerings of fish...

« Reply #16 on: 10 June, 2013, 06:53:55 pm »
I suspect that criticising what Horizon broadcasts before the programme has even been on, is pushing the boundaries of reasonable critical behaviour.

I do remember seeing a programme some years ago, where they did something similar.  They radio tagged some cats, and studied what they did.  This was out in the country somewhere, and the male ranged for miles, mostly visiting his harem of females, who kept to smaller areas, although still substantial.

My understanding of most domestic cats, is that whilst they still have their own territories, the higher density of cats in such urban environments means that their territory is typically much more constrained.  Zev rarely seems to stray much outside of my back garden, which probably has less area to it than the house.  Kai on the other hand, seems to wander a lot further afield, since these days he rarely seems to come in response to cat food sounds being made out the back door (Zev rarely takes longer then 30 seconds to appear).  Kai was entire for the first four or five years or his life however, and was probably used to wandering around searching for females, so he could get his paw over (which presumably he's still doing, only with less kittens being produced).
Actually, it is rocket science.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #17 on: 10 June, 2013, 07:48:19 pm »

Mind you, the threat posed by cats is nothing compared to that of the dolphins. Something should be done about them. I advocate turning the sea into treacle to slow them down.

I've just finished the first trilogy of David Brin's Uplift series and he reckons we're going to 'give' dolphins (and chimps) full sentience & adaptations sufficient for them to pilot spaceships. So beware.
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

ian

« Reply #18 on: 10 June, 2013, 08:06:58 pm »
Mind you, the threat posed by cats is nothing compared to that of the dolphins. Something should be done about them.

Both cat and dolphin overlords can be appeased with offerings of fish...

Sadly, the world went a little bit more wrongside the day tuna became dolphin-friendly. Frankly, even that fateful day when Hitler and Stalin agreed to give one another other backrubs had nothing on that. Those three three little words ushered in a new world order. This really pushed us deep into the furry arms of the cat. Cats, of course, being one of the two natural predators of the tuna fish (the other being the Japanese). One has to wonder if the dolphins put them up to it, and even now, in some secret undersea headquarters, cats and dolphins are colluding towards our ultimate demise. Tuna fish are mere patsies.

My demise at the paws of the cat will come even sooner. I have to wash out the little cat's ears tomorrow owing to a build up of earwax. As the vet pointed out earlier after he'd given it a go, using his final breaths as paramedics vainly tried to staunch the bleeding, this may be a two person job.

« Reply #19 on: 11 June, 2013, 09:48:40 pm »
On the last series of James May's Man Lab, they fitted cameras to cats and tested them as a Neighbourhood Watch device, which was surprisingly useful!

Ok, they didn't apprehend the pretend burglar, but they got some good footage of him, - in one case, from under a parked car...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

spindrift

« Reply #20 on: 12 June, 2013, 01:54:12 pm »
Burglar cats!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #21 on: 13 June, 2013, 11:41:54 pm »
It is simpler than it looks.

Jakob

« Reply #22 on: 14 June, 2013, 01:49:25 am »
Year ago, a friend of mine working for BBC Graphics, had to create a 3D model that would 'prove' the purpose of the pyramids. (something with the alignment to stars, etc). The 'scientist' had overhead maps and back dated starmaps, so it was relatively trivial to model, but unfortunately, the 3D model disproved the scientist theory!.
 My friend was asked to change the model, so that it would match the theory.....

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23 on: 14 June, 2013, 12:13:45 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #24 on: 14 June, 2013, 12:41:07 pm »
Orlando has the best video

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22567526

Bastard!  :)

Don't watch the video, people.

(click to show/hide)
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●