Author Topic: Favourite English Regional Things.  (Read 4914 times)

Re: Favourite English Regional Things.
« Reply #25 on: 22 September, 2014, 09:15:18 pm »
The East Midlands is a toss-up between Alvin Stardust...
And how could you forget Showaddywaddy?

I wasn't anticipating a rotational presidency, but I suppose there'd be a different one every month.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #26 on: 23 September, 2014, 08:11:22 pm »
South Yorkshire: Henderson's Relish - much nicer than that stuff from Worcestershire
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #27 on: 24 September, 2014, 10:47:38 am »
And it's vegetarian! :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #28 on: 24 September, 2014, 10:53:33 am »
Whenever my work took me to distant parts of these islands I would endeavour to come home with some sort of treat speciality from the region concerned. I seem to remember that the "lardy bread" from Devon (or was it Somerset?) went down particularly well.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #29 on: 24 September, 2014, 10:55:59 am »
Whenever my work took me to distant parts of these islands I would endeavour to come home with some sort of treat speciality from the region concerned. I seem to remember that the "lardy bread" from Devon (or was it Somerset?) went down particularly well.

When next in York get thee to Thomas The Baker and purchase some of their fine curd tarts - bliss.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #30 on: 24 September, 2014, 11:07:30 am »
I've never rated Kylie Turd Farts, I'm afraid.

Nor Filey Curd Tarts.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #31 on: 24 September, 2014, 11:08:50 am »
Eh?  Curd tarts are wonderful!
Getting there...

« Reply #32 on: 24 September, 2014, 11:09:13 am »
I've never rated Kylie Turd Farts, I'm afraid.

Nor Filey Curd Tarts.

Burn the heratic !

« Reply #33 on: 24 September, 2014, 11:10:17 am »
Yorkshire salad - how could I have forgotten that !

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #34 on: 29 September, 2014, 09:57:48 am »
I love traditional game cooking (Venison, Pheasant..etc).

Many of my local Hampshire pubs and restaurants are making much of locally sourced game (as well as other produce with "good provenance").

This is one of my favourite things, the improvement of English cooking from (justifiable) stereotypical jokes in the foreign media to real quality fare, using good quality regional produce.

It will take a while for the jokes to die out, especially as many nations have a distinctly unadventurous palette ((The French, despite having a reputation for fine cuisine, good looks and great fashion-sense are particularly unadventurous eaters, plain-looking and poor dressers (It's the Italians with the good looks and the nice clothes and even they think you're mad for eating Curry)).

So yes, smoked Trout starter with a Venison main please.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #35 on: 29 September, 2014, 12:24:39 pm »
Delia Smith for East Anglia I suppose, but perhaps too identified with Norwich. It would be like having John Bishop for the North West, it's better to have someone identified with one of the smaller centres if there are two competing cities. The problem is that most successful people live in London, Sir Peter Hall was born in Bury St. Edmunds for instance.

Not forgetting Britten, Eno and Peel*.

*OK he was an import, but so am I.

St Edmund ferrchristsake.

Because dragons are fictional.

There's no regional food worth eating round here though*.

* fboab  waits to be corrected

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #36 on: 29 September, 2014, 08:22:58 pm »

St Edmund ferrchristsake.

Because dragons are fictional.

There's been an awful lot of rubbish written about the DETH of St Edmund too, thobut...

There's no regional food worth eating round here though*.

* fboab  waits to be corrected
A Several of my fellow zeks seemed to dote on the kebab shop (almost) opposite BSE bus station, but I don't think that counts ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #38 on: 29 September, 2014, 08:32:22 pm »

Many of my local Hampshire pubs and restaurants are making much of locally sourced game (as well as other produce with "good provenance").

This is one of my favourite things, the improvement of English cooking from (justifiable) stereotypical jokes in the foreign media to real quality fare, using good quality regional produce.

It will take a while for the jokes to die out, especially as many nations have a distinctly unadventurous palette ((The French, despite having a reputation for fine cuisine, good looks and great fashion-sense are particularly unadventurous eaters, plain-looking and poor dressers (It's the Italians with the good looks and the nice clothes and even they think you're mad for eating Curry)).

From my late mother's 1954 cookbook.

« Reply #39 on: 29 September, 2014, 10:46:45 pm »
Tripe is quite popular is some other countries  still. There still a large scale tripe producer in Yorkshire but most of their product gets exported these days. My Dad likes tripe, he used to eat it cold with vinegar.

« Reply #40 on: 29 September, 2014, 10:50:02 pm »
Did someone say tripe?

http://tripemarketingboard.co.uk

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #41 on: 30 September, 2014, 08:47:04 am »

From my late mother's 1954 cookbook.

...............Finally season with salt and pepper before feeding to the Dog and phoning for a Chinese Takeaway.

Half of that recipe could be used to successfully repair a puncture.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #42 on: 30 September, 2014, 09:39:57 am »
I agree with many of pcolbeck's Yorkshire choices, with the addition of the Wolds, Norman Ackroyd and the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.

Lancashire; cheese, Chorley cakes, Thwaite's beer and Maxine Peak.

Northumberland; the coast, the Cheviots, both Tyne valleys and the Allen gorge.

The English side of the Marches and the rural parts of the West Country.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #43 on: 30 September, 2014, 09:53:06 am »
London Beer. It used to be Youngs but that buggered off to notlondon so can sod off. It has been replaced in my affections by Sambrook's, more specifically their Wandle Beer. Its bloody lovely, like a better, more refined version of Young's Bitter (to those in the know it was called Ordinary).

I also love the Surrey Hills- the area is just lovely. It may be full of people in huge cars but for somewhere so close to London it really is wonderful- I have a lovely route that takes me from home to Friday Street and back in just over 100km. It takes in hills, valleys, woods and cake and Friday Street itself is lovely. As is Peaslake and the shop, and the climb out up Radnor Road- its quiet and having heard a cuckoo calling earlier in the year, now stuck in my memory.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4406293

I love Dorset Knobs and Lardy Cake, Melton Mowbray Pork Pies (we have friends that live close) and lots of things about Yorkshire (Oven Bottom Muffins, walking in the Dales, the generous portions of food and all our friends that live up there!). There are plenty of places I don't know in the country and still need to visit!

Chris S

« Reply #44 on: 30 September, 2014, 09:59:22 am »
Driving home after several pints of Ordinary... that takes me back.  :facepalm:.

#sinsofouryouth

« Reply #45 on: 30 September, 2014, 10:04:44 am »
Having lived here for 38 years I have grown very fond of the Southwest. I also like the contrast with London where I grew up, and with Lancashire from whence my family comes.

It is still surprisingly easy to find very bad food down here, especially in tourist areas, and it gets worse the further west you go. But there are exceptions.

« Reply #46 on: 30 September, 2014, 10:26:16 am »
Hmm, recently we went to Suffolk, so I'd add to the list Orford Ness and Dunwich Heath.

Nearer my old stamping grounds, the South Downs, in particular the view from the Trundle near Goodwood.

Kingley Vale near West Dean, for it's ancient Yew woodland

The Chiltern hills, especially at this time of the turning leaves in the beech woodland.

The beer at the Gribble in Oving, all made in their own microbrewery.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #47 on: 30 September, 2014, 11:48:17 am »
Northumberland; the coast, the Cheviots, both Tyne valleys and the Allen gorge.
Stotties, Pan Haggerty, the smell of the hills.
And this:

clarion

• Tyke
Getting there...

« Reply #49 on: 01 October, 2014, 09:05:28 am »
I'm not keen on the dog, but I prefer the Manchester Terrier, which would be infinitely inappropriate.