Author Topic: Easter Arrows  (Read 16205 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Easter Arrows
« on: 01 January, 2011, 07:04:37 pm »
    As I've used every spare moment between Xmas and now to mess around with setting up my 2011 events, including planning a new 300km, I'm now moving on to thoughts of Easter, and Arrows in particular.
    Anybody got any plans? I want to look at a similar route to last year, but avoiding the hilly bit around Louth, that some members of the team still haven't forgiven me for! Route was: [starting 09:00 Good Fri,] Ardleigh[nr Colchester], Cambridge, Whittlesey, Sleaford, Louth, Brigg, Beverley, Howden, York. 415km iIrc. Maybe a south Essex start, like Shenfield, for good London access?
     Breakfast at the Weatherspoon's pub in York last year was a Good Idea and I have been promised Crinkly Lion's special cake services again :thumbsup:! Worth repeating!

Re: Easter Arrows
« Reply #1 on: 01 January, 2011, 07:09:01 pm »
Arabella & I are working on a Ladies Team for Ladies.
If you are a Lady, and are interested, get in touch.

(I may not be part of the team as I may be away practising riding on the other side of the road as Easter is a child-free zone for me, but don't let that put you off. It may even be viewed as a bonus!)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 02 January, 2011, 07:31:54 am »
   The Essex team is open to anyone daft enough.... ;) Don't even have to be of an Excess persuasion!

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #3 on: 02 January, 2011, 11:21:39 am »
Hmmm, arrows.  I'm probably daft enough, but not sure about fast enough...

Ponders....
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

mikewigley

« Reply #4 on: 02 January, 2011, 12:39:11 pm »

It's probably always a good idea to have at least one Lady on your arrow team.  Otherwise, you would have no-one to ask for directions if you can't find the cafe/shop/ATM etc

« Reply #5 on: 02 January, 2011, 10:00:35 pm »
Anybody got any plans?

The Desperate Housewives will be back this year, this time not hemorrhaging time at Chris' en route.

Breakfast at the Weatherspoon's pub in York last year was a Good Idea...........Worth repeating!

We'll likely be there also. Yet to confirm a room at the YH / Travelodge prior to DIYs home.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 03 January, 2011, 08:31:44 am »

It's probably always a good idea to have at least one Lady on your arrow team.  Otherwise, you would have no-one to ask for directions if you can't find the cafe/shop/ATM etc

Arabella was there for me last year.... :)
Hmmm, arrows.  I'm probably daft enough, but not sure about fast enough...

Ponders....

You'll be fine.....I'll arrange a tail wind for your fastest 400 ever, like last year.... :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #7 on: 03 January, 2011, 08:55:12 am »
I shall not be planning to join a ladies team for ladies, because you would all finish out of time and hate me forever which seems like an all round Bad Plan (however "paging Kim, paging Kim, Silly_Bike_Adventure ideal for you over here - you know you want to!") but I shall indeed plan my very own not-arrow all of a couple of miles to the 'spoons complete with pannier full of cake.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #8 on: 03 January, 2011, 12:16:14 pm »
The current plan is to ride the arrow that didn't fly last year: Up the A6 from Manchester, cross the country to Hexham and down through Darlo to York.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #9 on: 03 January, 2011, 07:32:23 pm »
i'd like to do this again, but i'm running london marathon the sunday before, so not sure if my legs will be up to the task. it was a lovely ride last year!
cheers, Rimas

rob

« Reply #10 on: 08 January, 2011, 10:25:12 am »
Usual mix of Kent and Sussex riders starting from my place and following the LEL route to Lincoln, then over the Humber Bridge and across to Howden.   Probably getting to York 9am Sat.   We had breakfast at the Wetherspoons by the castle last time :-

The Postern Gate, York | Our Pubs | J D Wetherspoon

but we were a day after everyone else.   Is this where you all met last time ?

I notice we did the lowest distance of any team last year.   Got to have something to aim for.

Rob

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #11 on: 08 January, 2011, 02:56:49 pm »
No, we used The Punchbowl as it's near the station and practically impossible to miss if you're coming from there.  IMO it's also less of a depressing place.

« Reply #12 on: 10 January, 2011, 01:35:54 pm »
If you're looking for somewhere a bit different - on the opposite corner is the Bar Convent - York Cafe & York Teashop | Light Lunch & Refreshments Gluten Free

« Reply #13 on: 10 January, 2011, 01:37:26 pm »

« Reply #14 on: 10 January, 2011, 01:55:13 pm »
The good thing about the Punchbowl is it's big enough to hold 20-30 grubby cyclists without getting in anyone's way.  Also the food/drink is very cheap.  Seems ideal to me.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 10 January, 2011, 05:05:53 pm »
The good thing about the Punchbowl is it's big enough to hold 20-30 grubby cyclists without getting in anyone's way.  Also the food/drink is very cheap.  Seems ideal to me.
+1, its ideal for the post-Arrow recovery, though a Wetherspoons would not normally fit my description of a good pub. We will probably be re-visiting the one in Sleaford [The Packhorse] at the half-way point, as per last year; it serves food until 9pm, has adequate bike parking and lots of room inside, plentiful food, quick service and good washing facilities. [The only time I patronise McDonalds seems to be when Audaxing!]

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #16 on: 10 January, 2011, 05:14:32 pm »
If you're looking for somewhere a bit different - on the opposite corner is the Bar Convent - York Cafe & York Teashop | Light Lunch & Refreshments Gluten Free
Audaxers are pretty set on their Wetherspoons - last year I tried to sell the idea of the Spurriergate centre but the board were having none of it!  One good thing about the Punch Bowl is that it has windows onto a courtyard where you can wheel your bikes and watch them. 

rob

« Reply #17 on: 11 January, 2011, 08:06:14 am »
We're due to arrive at 9am Sat and will book trains for about Noon, so will give plenty of time for post ride recovery.

Rob

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: 06 March, 2011, 07:13:06 pm »
    The Essex Team [official name still to be decided] will be setting off earlier than 09:00 now, due to Capt. Tomsk tweaking the route, but still needing to get to Sleaford before the 'Packhorse' stops serving food at 9pm. The 'Punchbowl' in York opens at 07:00, allegedly, so we may start at 7 or 8am on Friday.
    We have our 3 definite team members, but have a place for one more thrill seeker, interested in a fairly flat ride of just over 400km. [Just pray for a tailwind across the shelter-free-zone of the Fens!]

rob

« Reply #19 on: 20 March, 2011, 04:24:30 pm »
Bumping this one.

Entry forms are in.   We're leaving Kent 9am Good Friday with a planned distance of 373k.

Is everyone still meeting up for breakfast in Wetherspoons ?  Our train back is not until Midday.

Rob

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #20 on: 20 March, 2011, 09:07:18 pm »
Our entry form will go in when I print it out - but isn't there a special one?  Audax pages only give the standard print out yet I had a 'team' entry form last year  ???

Also aiming for Punchbowl Sat am.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

CramCycle

• Mille Failte
    • The Bicycling Biochemist
« Reply #21 on: 22 March, 2011, 02:09:39 am »
New to the forum but am looking for a team to join for an Easter Fleche/Arrow. I am from Audax Ireland (member of AUK as well), is there anyone still looking for members? Or am I asking to late in the day, finding it hard to get any definites to join me on this side of the water.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #22 on: 22 March, 2011, 01:20:28 pm »
Depends if you're a Lady or not ...
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #23 on: 22 March, 2011, 01:30:26 pm »
Our entry form will go in when I print it out - but isn't there a special one?  Audax pages only give the standard print out yet I had a 'team' entry form last year  ???

There probably should be. Write in your team members' names and who is captain.

CramCycle

• Mille Failte
    • The Bicycling Biochemist
« Reply #24 on: 22 March, 2011, 04:36:16 pm »
Depends if you're a Lady or not ...

:'( Alas no