Author Topic: Easter Arrows  (Read 16205 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Easter Arrows
« Reply #50 on: 23 April, 2011, 12:37:19 pm »

With any luck, I'll be leading Team Cripple on a 'proper' Arrow next year  ;D

I reckon I might be able to qualify for such an outfit

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #51 on: 23 April, 2011, 12:49:14 pm »

With any luck, I'll be leading Team Cripple on a 'proper' Arrow next year  ;D

I reckon I might be able to qualify for such an outfit
Well why not?

The last time I rode an Easter Arrow (which ended in failure but we won't go there) we settled on a 400km route through not-entirely flat terrain and were going great guns until circumstances got in the way. And this was despite utterly atrocious weather, too - a gust of wind which threatens to blow me over is a serious gust indeed ;)

Fitness permitting, I'm planning to do a Summer Arrow but if I can't get a team together I may well do it solo as a 'dry run' for next Easter.

« Reply #52 on: 23 April, 2011, 05:37:26 pm »
Well, there were no pints at that point - they didn't start serving alcohol 'til 9  ;D

I did my not-Arrow, all of a mile, maybe a mile and a half, to the pub where I found a plenty of audaxers and fed many of them cake and flapjack.  Everyone seemed in fine fettle - rather less dishevelled and weary than last year when the weather wasn't quite so benevolent.

Lovely to see some familiar faces, and meet a few new ones too.  Same place, same time, next year?

Nice to see you and some of my other cycling friends this morning in Wetherspoons. My Arrow is a mixed tale, I haven't done many miles this year and been suffering a virus for the last four weeks, broken and poor sleep. I struggled on some of the hills, the 70" gear, the heat made it hard work. SOme of the roads we chose made for single file riding so it wasn't sociable at times. I was talking about packing early, getting a train home to eat vindaloo with Mrs MSeries. But I didn't really want to do that. I pressed on, the others slowed for me a bit, it cooled down and the terrain got easier like I knew it would. I was fine. No sleep 'til tonight. My longest Fixed ride ever, pretty much doubling my previous longest at 427km

« Reply #53 on: 23 April, 2011, 06:28:21 pm »
Well, there were no pints at that point - they didn't start serving alcohol 'til 9  ;D

I did my not-Arrow, all of a mile, maybe a mile and a half, to the pub where I found a plenty of audaxers and fed many of them cake and flapjack.  Everyone seemed in fine fettle - rather less dishevelled and weary than last year when the weather wasn't quite so benevolent.

Lovely to see some familiar faces, and meet a few new ones too.  Same place, same time, next year?

Nice to see you and some of my other cycling friends this morning in Wetherspoons. My Arrow is a mixed tale, I haven't done many miles this year and been suffering a virus for the last four weeks, broken and poor sleep. I struggled on some of the hills, the 70" gear, the heat made it hard work. SOme of the roads we chose made for single file riding so it wasn't sociable at times. I was talking about packing early, getting a train home to eat vindaloo with Mrs MSeries. But I didn't really want to do that. I pressed on, the others slowed for me a bit, it cooled down and the terrain got easier like I knew it would. I was fine. No sleep 'til tonight. My longest Fixed ride ever, pretty much doubling my previous longest at 427km

Yeah, the first 100 miles were shite. Dunno who picked that route  ;) Still, it'll be my one flat ride of the season, so a trundle down to Northamptonshire did the job. Rutland and the Vale of Beaver were especially lovely, we spotted a buzzard, a great spotted woodpecker and (while riding up the A1) a meteor shower.

Finishing at the Punch Bowl and seeing everyone was canny, plus fine cakes and (eventually) beer. I spotted Flat Earth Bob and AndyC drinking more beer at the station.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #54 on: 23 April, 2011, 07:51:31 pm »
Crinkly’s Coffee Cake with chocolate dusted Coffee Beans was a sight to behold.
Ah, I did wonder what they were.
Unfortunately, however, I did not partake of cake partially out of respect for my dysfunctional pancreas but mainly 'cos I'm trying to shift some of the lard I've put on as a result of being off the bike for damn near 3 months  :-\

And I really did feel rather sorry for the poor guy who was looking at a 40 minute wait for some charred bread :)

Already sorted a route for next year. Mwaaahahahahaha!  ;D

EDIT: Miscellaneous Cycling Bits - a set on Flickr - I didn't take many pics, but those that I did take are in here. All four of 'em(!)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #55 on: 23 April, 2011, 08:08:51 pm »
Yes, nice to meet old and new faces, my journey up was much better than the journey down which was ac omplete fiascon containing cancelled trains, delayed trains, missed connections and trains to full to admit further bikes - I eventually arrived home 4 hours later than I should have done ..and the journey was only meant to be 3 hours  >:( >:( >:(

Nice cake from Kat, apologies to those of you I didn't really chat to.
cba to add the details of the ride
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #56 on: 24 April, 2011, 09:11:18 am »
    Quick thanks before I get down to preparing a big family Easter lunch.... to my team, 'Dick Turpin Rides Again' Andy, Deniece & Joth for making our 405km a success and commiserations to our 'man down', Lars: Hope your elbow gets better soon!

Also ta+XX to Kat, for her Crinkly Cakes that rounded off the post-ride party breakfast splendidly. [PS My boys did get to eat the ones you gave me - I didn't succumb on the train, being asleep most of the time!]

« Reply #57 on: 24 April, 2011, 02:58:02 pm »
'twas a good day out, apart  from the  reception at  Blyth services - we  got the message that we were not  wanted. All windows and  doors  left open, and  surly reception -  I suppose  the  night  shift  at  a  services is  a  fairly **** job but  apart  from us  there  were no other customers. I wonder  why.

Alternative  arrangements will have to be made next  year

« Reply #58 on: 24 April, 2011, 05:35:12 pm »
417k from the Derby massive. Great weather-although one our lightweight riders did suffer with the cold in spite of a winter jersey.
11pm into Blyth 4a very unwelcoming visit. Windows open, doors open. They clearly didnt want us there. Find somewhere else next year. Early am cafe in Driffield couldnt have been more different, although the new girl behind the counter couldnt add up. But 4lots of scrambled egg on brown along with 4 teas was no prob.
11am into York-so a bit later than everyone else. We found a table by the river and managed a couple. Then onto the usual italian place on the corner-excellent and with the bikes just outside the window.
4some reason our train home was past 5pm-so killed a bit of time. The other mercury jim rode home, no 3wheelers on the train. That ll teach him.
Great day. And a new recruit blooded.
3buzzards for us-so 11 out of 10
Jim

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #59 on: 24 April, 2011, 08:15:47 pm »
Proper report.

Me being Captain, the ride started from château Arabella so Els and Emma duly arrived Thurday evening having navigated across Ipswich without my directions as my normal route was blocked with Ipswich footy fans preventing Norwich footy fans reaching the trains ... (Ipswich lost by 5 goals or something).

8am Friday saw us speeding across the lanesy bit as I treated us to some nice'n'small roads.  Alas the potholes had grown since Feb and as I bounced over on my front light fell off.  I stuffed it in the panier to deal with later. 
Jobsworth #1 at Saffron W Tescos who said we were blocking people passing* and there were bike racks over there**.  I said we'd be only 15 mins as had nearly done by then (subtext: we aren't going to move them).
*untrue unless they wanted to squeeze behind pillars as well
** on the way out and not signposted
We continued to make good time for the rest of the ride, I think my fasted 200 so far.  My direction-fu only let us down once when I failed to count to 2 and made it 1 instead.  Quick look at the map put us back on track.  A few slight somethings in the directions but nothing I didn't remember about from writing/riding the same bit at some other point.

It got dark roundabout Lincoln. My route through the pedestrian area seemed OK by the bobbies we passed - perhaps we were better behaved and more sober than local yoof.  I was starting to feel yawny by Gainsborough but a cofee at the garage there put me right and cured the waht must have been caffeine-lack headache.  Plus a bit of salt to make up for the loss.  Most I've drunk too, full refill at every option and 2 cans of something at lunchtime.  I left some lime cordial at Sleaford though as it was fizzy (sniff, as wall as asking for no ice I have to start asking for no fizz it seems).

The remaining excitements aere all north of the Humber. Our only visit, complete with pingfuckit which fortunately turned up at the edge of the road and had leapt over the grass.  I put some lovely new batteries in my temperamental light and dropt it onto said grass so it would turn on. So far so good, and on we went, though rather chilly so we fancied a stop-n-warm-up, except the garages, even 24 hour ones, were empty ...
so it was we paid a visit to the Ramada Jarvis at Willerby.
Approach 1, Arabella:  "Can we sit here for 30 mins and warm up, please?" Manager "10 mins".
Approach 2, Els, resulted in tea and crisps for 3, on the house, and to stay as long as we wished.  Must find out which charm school I should visit ...
Come Beverley it was noticed my light had died again so I removed to repeat the 'gentle drop' approach.  Drop, bounce, bounce, roll and trickle between two bits of a drain cover  :-[.  Bye bye light.  Emma lent her equally temperamental spare which I patted to enlightenment instead.  It went off to eventually but as it was getting light by then not a problem.
Dawn chorus was lovely and A19 suitably empty.

And so it was we met the gerneal massive at the Punchbowl.
Apologies to all those who were subjected to my ranting about jobsworth #2 as I returned from a failed visit to catch the cancelled 10:07.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

AndyH

« Reply #60 on: 25 April, 2011, 09:34:59 am »
1st Arrow experience for me, certainly won't be the last. It made an excellent change from riding in the south west, & we visited some beautiful parts of the east. Lavenham sticks in my mind, as does over 400K with only one hill, excellent weather (I don't mind the heat) and a tailwind. Last time I was that way I had 250K into a headwind & 200K in the rain.

"Dick Turpin Rides Again" ready to leave Great Dunmow

The route took us from great Dunmow through Lavenham, Haverhill, Red Lodge, Ramsay, Spalding, Brigg, Beverley, Howden to York.

Thing1 was following Thing2's progress on twitter, and we were invariably a bit behind after tacking through the first few controls. We asked a barmaid in the Packhorse in Sleaford if they had seen them; she smiled and said "Oh no, they've already been and gone". On the A164 drag up to Beverley I spotted some bike lights in the distance. It could only be the ladies team, nobody else would be cycling around here at 2 in the morning. A 3 mile pursuit followed, even when we realised that there were only 2 lights. It was 2 policemen going home after the night shift.  :facepalm:

+1 to all the comments about the Arrivee at the Punchbowl - it really did make it feel like an occasion and good to meet some new faces. Thanks for the cake Crinklylion  :thumbsup:

Low points - Lars' accident in Ramsay. I hope you recover quickly. Train was cancelled in York (same one as Arabella) Got onto the 10.30 as far as Peterborough then a stopping train to Stevenage, but was much later than I should have been which screwed up my evening.

But everything considered an excellent day out, many thanks to Tomsk for organising.

PS Google maps tells me that my house in Blandford is 400K from York. Mind whirrs

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #61 on: 25 April, 2011, 10:55:14 am »
No ride report because I didn't do an Easter Arrow but the Cardiff Byways trio (Lewis, Swallow, Tout) rode a 400+ Arrow the day before riding the Buckingham Blinder 400.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #62 on: 25 April, 2011, 11:37:41 am »
Proper report.

Me being Captain, the ride started from château Arabella so Els and Emma duly arrived Thurday evening having navigated across Ipswich without my directions as my normal route was blocked with Ipswich footy fans preventing Norwich footy fans reaching the trains ... (Ipswich lost by 5 goals or something).

8am Friday saw us speeding across the lanesy bit as I treated us to some nice'n'small roads.  Alas the potholes had grown since Feb and as I bounced over on my front light fell off.  I stuffed it in the panier to deal with later. 
Jobsworth #1 at Saffron W Tescos who said we were blocking people passing* and there were bike racks over there**.  I said we'd be only 15 mins as had nearly done by then (subtext: we aren't going to move them).
*untrue unless they wanted to squeeze behind pillars as well
** on the way out and not signposted
We continued to make good time for the rest of the ride, I think my fasted 200 so far.  My direction-fu only let us down once when I failed to count to 2 and made it 1 instead.  Quick look at the map put us back on track.  A few slight somethings in the directions but nothing I didn't remember about from writing/riding the same bit at some other point.

It got dark roundabout Lincoln. My route through the pedestrian area seemed OK by the bobbies we passed - perhaps we were better behaved and more sober than local yoof.  I was starting to feel yawny by Gainsborough but a cofee at the garage there put me right and cured the waht must have been caffeine-lack headache.  Plus a bit of salt to make up for the loss.  Most I've drunk too, full refill at every option and 2 cans of something at lunchtime.  I left some lime cordial at Sleaford though as it was fizzy (sniff, as wall as asking for no ice I have to start asking for no fizz it seems).

The remaining excitements aere all north of the Humber. Our only visit, complete with pingfuckit which fortunately turned up at the edge of the road and had leapt over the grass.  I put some lovely new batteries in my temperamental light and dropt it onto said grass so it would turn on. So far so good, and on we went, though rather chilly so we fancied a stop-n-warm-up, except the garages, even 24 hour ones, were empty ...
so it was we paid a visit to the Ramada Jarvis at Willerby.
Approach 1, Arabella:  "Can we sit here for 30 mins and warm up, please?" Manager "10 mins".
Approach 2, Els, resulted in tea and crisps for 3, on the house, and to stay as long as we wished.  Must find out which charm school I should visit ...
Come Beverley it was noticed my light had died again so I removed to repeat the 'gentle drop' approach.  Drop, bounce, bounce, roll and trickle between two bits of a drain cover  :-[.  Bye bye light.  Emma lent her equally temperamental spare which I patted to enlightenment instead.  It went off to eventually but as it was getting light by then not a problem.
Dawn chorus was lovely and A19 suitably empty.

And so it was we met the gerneal massive at the Punchbowl.
Apologies to all those who were subjected to my ranting about jobsworth #2 as I returned from a failed visit to catch the cancelled 10:07.

Very well done - Ist ladies team for how long?  :thumbsup:
I was with you in spirit and thanks to Salvatore for keeping us up to date with the Yarrows as we rode 1st leg of the H of E. Well done to all the teams.
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

« Reply #63 on: 25 April, 2011, 11:42:47 am »

Great fun through central London, busy A roads to Oakham, wonderful quiet lanes to Lincoln, three hours in the Premier Inn, over the Humber to York, with the last few miles spent hanging on the VC167 peloton before breakfast at the Punchbowl.

Rode home from Kings Cross, shower and tea at the in-laws.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #64 on: 25 April, 2011, 12:56:31 pm »
Fantastic day out! Great big thanks to Tomsk for putting together our route and team, really nice mix of scenic roads in the day and faster moving, easier navigating stuff once it was dark. Really enjoyed my first visit to That Bridge, makes a nice 2am punctuation in what can be long drags through the dark.
Interesting experience to do my first solo ride over 180km. Really appreciated the company to get me through it, nothing but respect for anyone who goes out doing multiday DIYs entirely solo. There one moment that made me chuckle inwardly when I was about to say "you're very quiet back there" before remembering there was no Thing "back there"!
Hope Lars makes a fast recovery from scrapes and bruises.

The group RV at the Punchbowl makes a great finish. We then went and slept at our friend's house before spending the evening and most of Sunday eating, looking around York, and eating.

The CAKE was very highly appreciated CL.  :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #65 on: 25 April, 2011, 02:15:25 pm »

"Dick Turpin Rides Again" ready to leave Great Dunmow
is there something wrong with the aspect ratio of your photo? Deniece looks really short and Tomsk looks rather more burly than usual!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #66 on: 25 April, 2011, 03:09:38 pm »
is there something wrong with the aspect ratio of your photo? Deniece looks really short and Tomsk looks rather more burly than usual!

Deniece is really short!
Tomsk is more burly than usual!

More seriously: Tom and Lars are giants so anyone will look short next to them. I'm stood back a bit which probably makes me appear a bit taller than reality, and furthering the effect.
I don't think I was intending to puff up my chest in that way :hand: maybe we'll all just agree it's hard to get a nice photo first thing in the morning!

Uncle Eric

« Reply #67 on: 25 April, 2011, 07:17:22 pm »

Deniece is really short!
Tomsk is more burly than usual!

More seriously: Tom and Lars are giants so anyone will look short next to them. I'm stood back a bit which probably makes me appear a bit taller than reality, and furthering the effect.
I don't think I was intending to puff up my chest in that way :hand: maybe we'll all just agree it's hard to get a nice photo first thing in the morning!

Hmmm "hard to get a nice photo first thing in the morning".
Did you actually mean "hard to get a nice photo _of_ first thing in the morning"?
Since the rest of us look so smashing in the photo!  :smug:  :smug:

Elbow is better now. Still very sore in the groin. Been icing generously during the first 48 hours
after the accident as one should. Now switching over to heat and stretching.

« Reply #68 on: 27 April, 2011, 06:47:44 am »
That was a great day for the Easter Arrow.  Loved the meet up at York, and the cake!  Many thanks to Arabella and Thing2.

Blog: Clicky

Photos: Clicky

« Reply #69 on: 28 April, 2011, 09:04:01 am »
The event details state the Easter Arrow is BRM, but it is not really is it?  Anybody know for sure?

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/11-144/

border-rider

« Reply #70 on: 28 April, 2011, 09:08:34 am »
It doesn't count as a PBP qualifier.  It is recognised by ACP though, and counts towards an ACP Brevet 5000

« Reply #71 on: 28 April, 2011, 09:40:03 am »
It doesn't count as a PBP qualifier.  It is recognised by ACP though, and counts towards an ACP Brevet 5000

I understand now, thanks Mal Volio!

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #72 on: 28 April, 2011, 11:05:45 am »
The event details state the Easter Arrow is BRM, but it is not really is it?  Anybody know for sure?

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/11-144/

From that page:
Easter Arrow 360k needed to claim your free ACP medal.

Hello! Back in time for tea and medals?

Where do we apply?  :)

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #73 on: 28 April, 2011, 12:44:41 pm »
Free Certificate for the Arrow - it will turn up eventually
You need a few more rides to get the ACP Brevet 5000
(just 1000km +pbp+ some shorter ones)