Author Topic: Easter Arrows  (Read 16112 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: Easter Arrows
« Reply #25 on: 22 March, 2011, 05:44:47 pm »
Hmmm... maybe I should start baking soon.  What sort of cake would you like?

CramCycle

• Mille Failte
    • The Bicycling Biochemist
« Reply #26 on: 30 March, 2011, 10:32:16 am »
Looks like I won't be doing one this year  :'( I could only find one volunteer over here, might crack on with it solo just to see what it's like

« Reply #27 on: 20 April, 2011, 07:26:20 am »
Will be tweeting #EasterArrow.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #28 on: 20 April, 2011, 11:16:23 am »
Hmmm... maybe I should start baking soon.  What sort of cake would you like?
If you insist ... that choco-banana was nice.
We're leaving at 8:00am to arrive Sat 8:00 am approx at the punchbowl
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #29 on: 20 April, 2011, 11:20:30 am »
Any team heading down from Scotland, please feel free to stop off at our house(Northallerton) from a break/breakfast.

Let me know how many and when you will be going by and I'll have the kettle on and food on the go.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: 20 April, 2011, 08:52:03 pm »
    Arrivee: 8 am Friday at the 'Punchbowl' for 'Dick Turpin Rides Again', the Essex team [with an international membership, or at least substantially un-Essexian: Tom, Lars, Deniece, Joth, & Andy - don't need surnames do we, like Brazilian footballers? ;D]

We have earlier trains than last year btw: 10/11 am.

Looking forward to the full English and CAKE, [thank you CrinklyLion.]

AndyH

« Reply #31 on: 20 April, 2011, 09:03:03 pm »
Bike fettled, batteries charging just packing then all ready.  Shame I have to go to work tomorrow. I'm looking forwards to this.

Looking forward to the full English and CAKE, [thank you CrinklyLion.]

And this  :thumbsup:

« Reply #32 on: 21 April, 2011, 12:11:15 am »
Aye, we're planning to be there too. 

rob

« Reply #33 on: 21 April, 2011, 08:14:51 am »
See you all there. Should be great conditions for a ride.

border-rider

« Reply #34 on: 21 April, 2011, 08:17:12 am »
Yes: warmish days, warmish nights & a decent moon

Should be a good one for you chaps :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #35 on: 21 April, 2011, 10:25:06 am »
I look forward to a time when I am fit enough/have the stamina to do an Arrow.
I hope this good weather persists for you all.
Bon voyage

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #36 on: 21 April, 2011, 11:00:39 am »
have a good ride, Tom & the team! are you taking the same route we took last year? best wishes to l'equipe.

« Reply #37 on: 21 April, 2011, 01:31:32 pm »
were in. A 4 man, 9wheeled Derby Merc team will be at Blyth services 11pm ish on fri. Bit late 2meet u in York- we ll b there 11am sat.
Looking fwd 2 a good warm overnight.
Route is south from Derby, melton, oakham, st ives, boston, lincoln. Blyth, humber bridge, great driffield, york

simonp

« Reply #38 on: 21 April, 2011, 01:32:32 pm »
I'm not; can't be arsed.  I'll be thinking of you as I sit in the sun in Cambridge at a BBQ on Saturday.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #39 on: 21 April, 2011, 01:33:23 pm »
were in. A 4 man, 9wheeled Derby Merc team will be at Blyth services 11pm ish on fri. Bit late 2meet u in York- we ll b there 11am sat.
Looking fwd 2 a good warm overnight.
Route is south from Derby, melton, oakham, st ives, boston, lincoln. Blyth, humber bridge, great driffield, york

Beware of nutters in blue mondeos @ Blythe services....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #40 on: 21 April, 2011, 01:35:58 pm »
Yes: warmish days, warmish nights & a decent moon

Should be a good one for you chaps :)
Given the late Easter, I'd half-targetted a first arrow for 2011. Then other stuffs got in the way, and i never got organised...

I'm now hugely jealous!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

simonp

« Reply #41 on: 21 April, 2011, 01:44:03 pm »
I can use a summer arrow for my AUK 25k award, can I?  Only need the easter fleche for the ACP one?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #42 on: 21 April, 2011, 02:07:42 pm »
I can use a summer arrow for my AUK 25k award, can I?  Only need the easter fleche for the ACP one?

Correct
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #43 on: 21 April, 2011, 02:11:59 pm »
I look forward to a time when I am fit enough/have the stamina to do an Arrow.
I hope this good weather persists for you all.
Bon voyage
Join the club ... my plans (including perhaps qualifying for that ride) got well and truly scuppered by a 90 year old in a Peugeot.

Hoping to do a Summer Arrow if my back behaves itself though.

Thunderstorms(!) are forecast for Saturday and Sunday, though. My plants will like that, audax riders not so much I suspect.

simonp

« Reply #44 on: 21 April, 2011, 02:16:52 pm »

Correct

OK.  I might try for a summer arrow this season then.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #45 on: 21 April, 2011, 03:16:33 pm »
Can someone please look at my results*and work out which award I might reasonably aspire to, and when I need to ride an arrow to get it?

that's not much to ask, is it? Whaddya mean, 'RTFM'?!?

* (since 2007 - not worth looking before that)

[query moved to Brevet 5000 thread]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

simonp

« Reply #46 on: 21 April, 2011, 03:30:26 pm »
Can someone please look at my results*and work out which award I might reasonably aspire to, and when I need to ride an arrow to get it?

that's not much to ask, is it? Whaddya mean, 'RTFM'?!?

* (since 2007 - not worth looking before that)

Brevet 5000 should be easy.  You have LEL, mutliple SR, MC.  That's sufficient for the AUK award. (Once you add an arrow)

Brevet 25,000 is a little harder.  I'm on something like 216 accumulated points since 2006, have to get to 250 (adding UK events I've already entered, plus PBP this year, == 250).  You need iirc 3x SR (got), 1x1000 (got) PBP and LEL (got) and an arrow (not got).  For the 5K you have everything you need except the arrow, I reckon.  50 points over 4 years?  Easily.

rottenhat

• Audax Irlande
    • Audax Ireland
« Reply #47 on: 23 April, 2011, 07:54:39 am »
Dublin jury reporting - 452k in near ideal conditions (how often do you get a tailwind both ways on an out and back loop?). The rails on my saddle snapped after 190k, had to clamp them back together and pedal another very ginger 30k to Galway.  Found a closed bikeshop and hammered on the door until they agreed to sell me a saddle. Little did I know, my pain was only beginning....

I guess you're all ensconced in a pub in York with big breakfasts and pints right now. Sadly the pubs here don't open until 10:30 and I couldn't persuade my team to wait. Fair play, all of you.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #48 on: 23 April, 2011, 12:25:18 pm »
Well, there were no pints at that point - they didn't start serving alcohol 'til 9  ;D

I did my not-Arrow, all of a mile, maybe a mile and a half, to the pub where I found a plenty of audaxers and fed many of them cake and flapjack.  Everyone seemed in fine fettle - rather less dishevelled and weary than last year when the weather wasn't quite so benevolent.

Lovely to see some familiar faces, and meet a few new ones too.  Same place, same time, next year?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #49 on: 23 April, 2011, 12:31:34 pm »
Well, there were no pints at that point - they didn't start serving alcohol 'til 9  ;D

I did my not-Arrow, all of a mile, maybe a mile and a half, to the pub where I found a plenty of audaxers and fed many of them cake and flapjack.  Everyone seemed in fine fettle - rather less dishevelled and weary than last year when the weather wasn't quite so benevolent.

Lovely to see some familiar faces, and meet a few new ones too.  Same place, same time, next year?
It takes a bit to drag me in to town, but it was good fun nonetheless - I managed a slightly more respectable 5-and-a-bit miles for my not-an-Arrow :) I'm actually glad I had breakfast before I left home, largely because when I went up to get a drink the barmaid was telling some poor, crestfallen chap that he'd have to wait 40 minutes for some toast because they were serving 'rather a lot' of food. Can't possibly think why ;)

Had a couple of coffees, a bit of a chat and a rather nice pedal home - sadly, my plan to stop off via York Model Railway show was scuppered by unfeasibly large numbers of people. Probably good news for my credit card. Took a few photos of the usual suspects which I'll probably bung onto Flickr later on.

With any luck, I'll be leading Team Cripple on a 'proper' Arrow next year  ;D