Author Topic: Getting A Place on Trans Pyrenees Race  (Read 1641 times)

Getting A Place on Trans Pyrenees Race
« on: 29 September, 2023, 02:25:50 pm »
Hi, i know am exactly a year too early for this sort of query, but how easy is it to get into this race?

I have some experience of 30km rides and was hoping to supplement experience gained with some longer multiday rides next year - before TPR4. Am I up against a body of hardcore ultra endurance riders, or are there openings for lightly experineced, male, middleaged 'tester' like myself?

i am unlikely to have built up much experinece by entry time January next year.

Many thanks etc.....

Re: Getting A Place on Trans Pyrenees Race
« Reply #1 on: 06 October, 2023, 12:54:44 pm »
Not heard of it, but I have done the Raid Pyrenean twice: the first was inside 10 days, which I did with a tourer and a tent, 28 cols; the second, 18 cols in 100 hours. Also did the raid alpine last year when it was very hot.

Looking at the TPR I would suggest that to enjoy it you would need to do a lot of training and be more than lightly experienced. Long mountain climbs are tough, especially in temperatures over 30c.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #2 on: 06 October, 2023, 01:22:10 pm »
On one of the podcasts for this year's race they preceded an interview with a competitor (who descrived hmself as 'a runner, not a cyclist' by saying something like 'if you think all the riders are highly exprienced ultra-randonneurs then think again'. So not beyond the bounds of possibility for you, but on the website, under 'How do applications work?' in the faqs, it states:

There are no qualification requirements however we expect applicants to have gained relevant, multi-day, long distance expedition experience either alone or as part of a small group.

« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2023, 05:44:52 pm »
I rode this years race. It was the toughest thing I've ever done, I was 3km away from CP5 at my cut-off time.

From what I remember it was really easy to get a place.

I entered whenever entries opened and got in without issue but I've been riding Audax for 7 years (inc. 1.5 LELs) and had completed 3 other ultra races when I entered.

I think it's a bit ambitious for someone that has "some experience of 30km rides" but I've been wrong before.

« Reply #4 on: 14 October, 2023, 11:55:40 am »
To date I understand that its been under subscribed. That doesn't mean it won't be next edition though.
The ultra racing scene is burgeoning on the one hand but then to counter that there are more events out there on the calendar.
It appears to be much lower key than TCR.
I had a spot on the cancelled covid edition, then subsequently DNS last year to stay home and take care of my partner (chemo)
It still peaks my interest too, looks to be a beautiful event through some lovely scenery, if very hard.
I would imagine its at the more arduous end of the ultra racing scale and perhaps not one to kick things off with.
That said if you are light/can climb well why not Gove it a go.
I'd still like to enter, though I have a clash next edition and the year after I'll be another year older!
often lost.

« Reply #5 on: 14 October, 2023, 10:55:57 pm »
I saw on Facebook that the last finisher this year took 11 days. So 30km per day is not a bad start!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 15 October, 2023, 12:28:51 pm »
is this the Mike Hall related 1700km one or the other one that's 1000km?

to get a place on the Mike Hall related one I think you have to wait until January- from their FB page
We hope to see an equally inspiring and spirited group of riders come back next year – look out for applications for TPRNo4 opening in January 2024.

The other event is this
https://www.transiberica.club/transpyrenees/
it's 1000km and runs in June

TBH i would like to ride either of these but they look a bit too much... the average ascent per km is a big number.

The most "climb-ish" ride i did ever (and this was over 10 years ago) was the Mille Cymru which was 14000 in 1000km = 14m per km.  The Mike Hall one is approx 30000 in 1700 = 17.5m per km

Add on to that that they expect you to bivvy every night and it is a bit dubious

« Reply #7 on: 15 October, 2023, 03:04:40 pm »
is this the Mike Hall related 1700km one or the other one that's 1000km?

to get a place on the Mike Hall related one I think you have to wait until January- from their FB page
We hope to see an equally inspiring and spirited group of riders come back next year – look out for applications for TPRNo4 opening in January 2024.

The other event is this
https://www.transiberica.club/transpyrenees/
it's 1000km and runs in June

TBH i would like to ride either of these but they look a bit too much... the average ascent per km is a big number.

The most "climb-ish" ride i did ever (and this was over 10 years ago) was the Mille Cymru which was 14000 in 1000km = 14m per km.  The Mike Hall one is approx 30000 in 1700 = 17.5m per km

Add on to that that they expect you to bivvy every night and it is a bit dubious

I would assume the one organised Lost Dot, my route for this years race was 1850km with 40,000m of elevation gain - 18,000m of the elevation gain in the ~600km return parcours