Author Topic: The Pompino Thread  (Read 77909 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: The Pompino Thread
« Reply #150 on: 27 July, 2017, 04:57:23 pm »
Hello, It's the biggest frame they do - 57".  In theory it's a bit small as I am a gnat's cock under 6'2", but feels comfy enough.

It was cheaper to buy the whole bike and take off what wasn't required and also add bits.  TOP TIP: if you do buy a complete bike upgrade to the TRP brakes as the Tektro Mini V brakes shown in the picture are crap (in my view).

BJ isn't my main bike, just a play thing and winter steed, so on that basis I'm pleased with him.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #151 on: 28 July, 2017, 01:12:30 am »
I'm going to guess you mean 57cm ;)

Dicta freewheels should have 4 holes on them for fitting the removal tool. To remove dicta freewheels in the past I've used the tool, a nut to hold it on the wheel, a big spanner and a long piece of thick-walled metal pipe for leverage.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #152 on: 02 August, 2017, 12:06:04 pm »
I'm going to guess you mean 57cm ;)

Dicta freewheels should have 4 holes on them for fitting the removal tool. To remove dicta freewheels in the past I've used the tool, a nut to hold it on the wheel, a big spanner and a long piece of thick-walled metal pipe for leverage.

Yeah, 57cm!  I will look again for the holes in my freewheel, I don't recall seeing any and Planet X tech services didn't seem to think they could be removed easily. Not that it's an issue.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #153 on: 13 September, 2017, 08:07:33 pm »

IMG_9527_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #154 on: 17 September, 2017, 02:46:49 pm »
Just got my new pompino delivered ready for the winter rides,a quick shake down ride and it feels great 😁
Only thing I need to add now are mudguards,what's the recommendation to set off the bike just right?
Currently have 28mm tyres on and not likely to go any wider than that.

Roberto

« Reply #155 on: 17 September, 2017, 03:04:21 pm »
Just got my new pompino delivered ready for the winter rides,a quick shake down ride and it feels great 😁
Only thing I need to add now are mudguards,what's the recommendation to set off the bike just right?

Roberto
SKS Raceblades do the job on my 25s.
Thing 1 (previous owner of the bike) had 28s in the same guards, as I recall.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #156 on: 17 September, 2017, 11:27:49 pm »
I've had one since the beginning of June and have now put over 2000km on it!
Have used it mainly for commuting and fun rides but have used it a few times loaded up with camping gear.
FB link to a loaded touring picture
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156353441517729&set=pcb.10156353441582729&type=3&theater

Have just sent away for a FWC card from Richard Phipps as I may try for an SR on it, even though it threw me off last week at 50kph!
Damp road, fast descent, 150rpm, back wheel gets a bit skittish and starts bouncing around. Choice is slide down the road or take the grass verge.
I chose the verge and after about 30m the front wheel went down a hole and I went over the bars and slid on the grass.
Better option than the chipseal road though! Still nursing a battered shoulder, feels like a rotator cuff injury though as had trouble with it before.

Not leaving recumbents, just another one to add the the stable  8)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #157 on: 18 September, 2017, 07:49:05 am »

Roberto

I run 28mm tyres on my Pomp and fitted these 'guards.  I'm new into fixed but have lots on mates who ride them and some say removing the rear wheel with 'guards fitted can be tricky.  If you loosen the sliders on the stays there is enough slide and flex in the 'guards to allow for easy removal which makes up for them being a bit ugly.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #158 on: 18 September, 2017, 08:57:53 am »

Roberto
I run 28s on mine with full SKS chromoplastic guards. If you fit some of the safety secu clips for the stays which the front have on the rear as well, it makes wheel removal in times of punctures a piece of cake. I'd also recommend a Surly chain tensioner, which at around £20 makes your eyes sting a bit, but you only need one and it makes chain line and tension tuning dead easy. Plus you'll always have a bottle opener handy.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #159 on: 18 September, 2017, 09:20:23 am »
I have the Surly chain tensioner too - brilliant bit of kit.

The safety clip idea is another way of getting the rear wheel out easily. I was a bit worried about the clips breaking over time with repeated wheel removal - perhaps I'm worrying about nothing.

Chris N

« Reply #160 on: 18 September, 2017, 09:28:24 am »
The safety clip idea is another way of getting the rear wheel out easily. I was a bit worried about the clips breaking over time with repeated wheel removal - perhaps I'm worrying about nothing.

They do wear if you use them a lot - they become less secure over time - and I've snapped a couple.  I find it helps if you bend the end stays a little so they enter the clips straight and don't force them over at an angle.

They're only a couple of quid a set so it's worth getting a few.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #161 on: 19 September, 2017, 05:09:23 pm »
BJ my new Pomp ...

Well, given there is a decided nip in the air I suppose its about time that BJ stopped cowering in the garage and started fulfilling his role as my winter bike.  Since the above photo was taken he has a new (secondhand) rear wheel with a Goldtec hub and Sputnik rim as the Plantet X wheels he came with are not very good.  I have also just ordered a pair or Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres (28mm) so hopefully I won't have to wrestle with tug nuts and Allen keys to fix a p-thingy.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #162 on: 11 March, 2018, 12:26:16 pm »
I’m not sure I like fixed riding but would like to keep BJ as a winter bike. Has anyone converted a Pomp to hub gears?  Or are there any reasons why such a conversion wouldn’t work?

« Reply #163 on: 11 March, 2018, 12:53:50 pm »
I’m not sure I like fixed riding but would like to keep BJ as a winter bike. Has anyone converted a Pomp to hub gears?  Or are there any reasons why such a conversion wouldn’t work?
You fit the rear wheel with the drive sprocket on the left hand side!  ::-)
Beyond that I can't see a problem with hub gears. As long as you select a hub which actually fits the dropouts, 120mm +/- whatever cold setting you could get away with.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #164 on: 17 April, 2020, 03:19:12 pm »
I'm a tad bored so how about an update on BJ the Pomp...?

I rather fell out of love with riding fixed so he hasn't seem the light of day for the last couple of years.  However, last December, when I thought I might use him to ride to a temp job I had, BJ got taken down from his hook in the garage.  Since then we have been on regular rides and had a lovely time.  Here's what he looks like now:

Up thread I mentioned fitting a freewheel on the other side of the hub.  BFC OTP removed it for me (no violence was used and the freewheel remains intact) and I fitted a 20T cog instead as I struggle to get up The Mighty North Hill on the 18T cog on t'other side.  I have yet to discover whether the extra 2 teeth will save me from a cardiac episode - tomorrow maybe.

Fitting the new cog required me to buy a lock ring and whilst on the Planet X site I purchased two new caps, rather natty I think:

Untitled by Steve Rowley, on Flickr

Love 'n' stuff and stay safe  :-*

« Reply #165 on: 19 April, 2020, 06:30:36 pm »
Fortunately, I don't seem to know anyone who speaks Italian.

I went to Italy.

I was riding with these guys for a couple of days, then they noticed the name:

Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #166 on: 19 April, 2020, 07:31:02 pm »
 ;D

« Reply #167 on: 19 April, 2020, 07:45:08 pm »
I think that respray is getting closer :facepalm: :-[ ::-)

« Reply #168 on: 13 January, 2021, 08:30:45 pm »
It has been nearly a decade since this bike last appeared in this thread, so here it is in its current form.

On-one pompino. by Luke Hayes, on Flickr

On-one il pompino. by Luke Hayes, on Flickr
Don't ask.

« Reply #169 on: 13 January, 2021, 08:54:49 pm »
Still looking good !

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #170 on: 13 January, 2021, 09:03:03 pm »
Monsal trail?

« Reply #171 on: 13 January, 2021, 09:17:18 pm »
Don't ask.

« Reply #172 on: 02 October, 2021, 03:02:25 pm »

Did the Transfăgărășan again, this time on the Pompino.
There were bears.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #173 on: 22 May, 2023, 01:09:02 pm »
About six years since I sold my pompino to Tewdric, and about 5.99 years since I regretted selling it, I had a gap in the shed just big enough for this eBay special:

It's perfect, like meeting an old friend for a beer after a few years apart. It needs a set of mudguards, bigger tyres and a slightly bigger gear (46/21 is a bit too spinny for me in Cambridge, although will stay single speed this time).  Very happy.

« Reply #174 on: 22 May, 2023, 01:20:24 pm »
Welcome back to the club :thumbsup:

Mine's looking a bit more battered than on page one, and I've just ordered a new chain and chain ring, but still going strong.