Author Topic: Brompton folding pedals  (Read 10627 times)

Brompton folding pedals
« on: 24 July, 2011, 08:25:51 pm »
So, at long last, I have a Brompton!  Hoorah!  ;D

Anyway, it's come with standard pedals, and I'd like to upgrade to a folding pedal on the left at some stage. I'm looking at them secondhand on Ebay, and notice they don't seem to have spindle like normal pedals - do they attach with a bolt?  If so, will it come with any pedal I buy, or is it a standard sort of thing?

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Brompton folding pedals
« Reply #1 on: 24 July, 2011, 09:00:03 pm »
Bolt, requires 24mm socket.

Bearings are single row so can be short-lived but you *can* change them with a bit of rudimentary metalwork - see the thread on this.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 24 July, 2011, 09:09:47 pm »
If you don't have the socket already, just get an ordinary 24mm socket from a hardware store or eBay, and suitable wrench (usually 1/2" drive).

There is a lighter version of the pedal (supplied with titanium models) that requires a 10mm allen key.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 24 July, 2011, 09:14:41 pm »
notice they don't seem to have spindle like normal pedals

They do, it's just that you can't see it from every angle when the pedal is folded.

rogerzilla

« Reply #4 on: 24 July, 2011, 09:23:07 pm »
Technically I'd say the bolt and the inner race of the bearing make up a spindle (or is it an axle, since in a pedal it doesn't actually spin relative to the part to which it's attached?)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 24 July, 2011, 09:27:51 pm »
I say spindles spin, like the thing in the middle of a bottom bracket; and axles have things spinning around them, like the things in the middle of hubs and pedals.  But the terms seem interchangeable in common parlance.

By the way, Arch, any pedals can be fitted to a Brompton so long as they have the usual 9/16" threads.  There are some other folding pedals besides Brompton's.  I'm not sure what the best are.

A Shimano M520 SPD pedal doesn't stick out very much more than a folded Brompton pedal.

border-rider

« Reply #6 on: 24 July, 2011, 09:38:50 pm »
A Shimano M520 SPD pedal doesn't stick out very much more than a folded Brompton pedal.

+1

I've got some tiny minimalist triangular SPD-alikes on my Brommie, and they stick out less than the folded pedal.

« Reply #7 on: 24 July, 2011, 09:41:16 pm »
I was looking at this one - spindle/axle does seem to be missing, or am I looking at the wrong bit?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290590077697&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I could just get a cheaper folding pedal, I got the impression that the Brompton one gave the most compact fold....

I don't do SPD on two wheels....   ;)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 24 July, 2011, 09:43:23 pm »
I've got some tiny minimalist triangular SPD-alikes on my Brommie, and they stick out less than the folded pedal.

Do you know the make and model?  I might like a pair of those myself if they're lightweight too.

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 24 July, 2011, 09:48:02 pm »
They're cheapo FPD or something, from Decathlon in France. Single-sided, so they are a bit of  a PITA because the bottom doesn't work to pedal against - it's too small and curved

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 24 July, 2011, 09:58:31 pm »
I was looking at this one - spindle/axle does seem to be missing, or am I looking at the wrong bit?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290590077697&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I think that pedal is in its folded state, so we can't see the axle (?).  I will have to dig out my folding pedal to check, or hopefully someone else will explain.  I never actually used mine - as I fitted SPDs on day one - so I can't remember exactly how they work.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #11 on: 24 July, 2011, 10:01:25 pm »
They're cheapo FPD or something, from Decathlon in France. Single-sided, so they are a bit of  a PITA because the bottom doesn't work to pedal against - it's too small and curved

I won't bother then.  Thanks for the info anyway.

border-rider

« Reply #12 on: 24 July, 2011, 10:02:05 pm »
I might have a folding pedal somewhere you can have free, Arch. it's still attached to a crank, but the crank is a bit bent

If I can find a socket I can separate them

« Reply #13 on: 25 July, 2011, 05:45:36 pm »

I think that pedal is in its folded state, so we can't see the axle (?).  I will have to dig out my folding pedal to check, or hopefully someone else will explain.  I never actually used mine - as I fitted SPDs on day one - so I can't remember exactly how they work.

If you look at the other pic posted in the ad, there seems to be a gaping hole where, I think, the bolt should be...  But without one to hand, I'm not sure.

MV, if you do have one going begging, that would be fab, I'm not in a great hurry.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #14 on: 25 July, 2011, 05:52:04 pm »
The eBay picture does confuse me too, I must admit.  Unfortunately I can't find mine now to compare, and it might be a different version anyway.

« Reply #15 on: 26 July, 2011, 03:44:18 am »
Whats wrong with the stock folding pedals? ???

rogerzilla

« Reply #16 on: 26 July, 2011, 06:28:21 am »
They're not clipless.

« Reply #17 on: 26 July, 2011, 03:42:10 pm »
They're not clipless.

??? The OP want clipless? Only know of MKS detactable spds.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #18 on: 26 July, 2011, 03:45:25 pm »
No, Arch doesn't want clipless.  "They're not clipless" is the answer to "Whats wrong with the stock folding pedals?" for those of us who like clipless pedals.

« Reply #19 on: 26 July, 2011, 06:03:11 pm »
Whats wrong with the stock folding pedals? ???

The price, if I can possibly get one cheaper. The Brom came, via Ebay, with standard platform pedals, and I'd like a folding one for the left to make it easier to carry, but new they are nearly £30 for the one pedal.

I'll settle for a non-Brom folding pedal if necessary, but got the impression that the Brom ones gave the very best fold because they fold to lie along the axis of the crank. (MFWHTBAB has folding pedals on his cheap folder, and they only fold from only halfway along so they still stick out a bit.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20 on: 26 July, 2011, 06:09:41 pm »
It is a lot easier to carry a folded Brommie with the LH pedal tucked out of the way.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #21 on: 18 August, 2011, 09:21:38 am »
Well, my Ebay-bought pedals arrived yesterday, and I used them this morning and they feel good!  More importantly, it was a bit easier to carry the bike downstairs without a pedal jammed against my thigh.

Next upgrades, mudguards, and a front bag. But I'm going to let the credit card cool off a bit....

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #22 on: 18 August, 2011, 12:57:29 pm »
"They're not clipless" is the answer to "Whats wrong with the stock folding pedals?" for those of us who like clipless pedals.

The other answer is that they're shite. My folding pedal disintegrated without too much provocation.

It is a lot easier to carry a folded Brommie with the LH pedal tucked out of the way.

I have Shimano M324s on mine now. The left-hand pedal does stick out a bit when the bike is folded but I don't find it a problem. YMMV.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #23 on: 18 August, 2011, 01:44:51 pm »
I have just kept the original foldies on mine.  I'd like SPDs but the ability to ride it in thongs* and not have a pedal digging into my shin when carrying it it wins.

Not that sort of thongs Hummers.

« Reply #24 on: 18 August, 2011, 03:22:34 pm »
Well, my Ebay-bought pedals arrived yesterday, and I used them this morning and they feel good!  More importantly, it was a bit easier to carry the bike downstairs without a pedal jammed against my thigh.

Next upgrades, mudguards, and a front bag. But I'm going to let the credit card cool off a bit....

Oh. I was too slow in offering mine. Oh well I would have overcharged you anyway. enjoy.