Author Topic: You wait ages for one...  (Read 5917 times)

You wait ages for one...
« on: 16 October, 2011, 08:05:38 pm »
...then two come along at once!

Months after I joined the club, MFWHTBAB has acquired a Brom!   ;D <happy dance>

A colleague of mine was selling one, it's a bit rougher than mine, the hub gears slip, it might just need an overhaul, might need a new hub. But he got it for a pretty good price, and he'll be able to do his own investigative fettling.

The rear tyre is shot though. Any ideas on a replacement that balances cheap with good?
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: You wait ages for one...
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2011, 08:12:47 pm »
I'd just go for Marathon and sod the expense. You don't really want to be compromising on tyre quality on a Brommie because they are such gits to get on and off on a small-wheeled bike.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2011, 08:23:15 pm »
Marathon Plus, but you'll need to swap the rim tape for something that actually fits (Velox 10mm) in order to get them on easily.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3 on: 17 October, 2011, 05:35:08 pm »
Cheers. I'm all for investing in p***ture proofing, it's only that MFWHTBAB isn't on much income at the moment. Perhaps he could have some for Christmas....

« Reply #4 on: 17 October, 2011, 05:52:23 pm »
Is it a sturmey AW hub?

They usually slip either because they are out of adjustment or they need a new clutch. If you need experienced AW fettling, I've refurbished one or two.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 17 October, 2011, 07:22:25 pm »
I'm not actually sure, but...

He's had it apart today, and cleaned it up, and found a piece snapped in half - a rectangular bit with a hole in the middle that the indicator chain screws into. So he's welded it up (tiny job!) and ground it back and put it back in, and says it seems to be ok - not sure if he just means it fits back together, or if he's tested the gears extensively.

The bike was pretty grubby, and hadn't had any apparent care in years, so it could be all sorts of little things adding up - the chain was very worn for a start. I think he's probably happier with one he needs to fettle anyway!  Bear in mind that he's currently riding a £13.50 Ebay Hungarian folder onto which he's grafted hub brakes, and two motorbike tank-top bags for luggage, one held in place on the handlebars by two bent steel hooks and a wooden wedge!

rogerzilla

« Reply #6 on: 17 October, 2011, 07:35:27 pm »
That's the axle key.  Must be a SRAM (Sachs) Spectro T3 hub - they break these keys with depressing regularity.  You can buy the spare part (Schubklotz) on eBay if you widen your search to include Germany.  It's also worth ordering new bearing cage assemblies (Kugelhaltern) as these are not well weather sealed and the balls are NOT standard imperial sizes.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/fahrradhandeltotenhfer0582/Sram-Sachs-Nabenteile-/_i.html?_fsub=1169071010&_sid=777132700&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Finally, the proper SRAM IGH grease is totally different to Sturmey-Archer hub grease - it's pale yellow stuff and like toothpaste in consistency.  Smells faintly of tobacco.

« Reply #7 on: 17 October, 2011, 10:01:45 pm »
Ah, thanks very much, I'll pass that on!

He said the hub was full of grit and a 'toffee like' grease. No wonder it's been slipping.

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #8 on: 18 October, 2011, 12:15:33 pm »
Hi Honey! :thumbsup:

I'm here.
 :)

That's the axle key.  Must be a SRAM (Sachs) Spectro T3 hub - they break these keys with depressing regularity.  You can buy the spare part (Schubklotz) on eBay if you widen your search to include Germany.  It's also worth ordering new bearing cage assemblies (Kugelhaltern) as these are not well weather sealed and the balls are NOT standard imperial sizes.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/fahrradhandeltotenhfer0582/Sram-Sachs-Nabenteile-/_i.html?_fsub=1169071010&_sid=777132700&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Finally, the proper SRAM IGH grease is totally different to Sturmey-Archer hub grease - it's pale yellow stuff and like toothpaste in consistency.  Smells faintly of tobacco.
That's the part.

Tiny bits of weld on each side of the break.

It was then filed down to fit.

I hold no great hope of it lasting like that as the piece is a lot harder then the weld but it is enough to rule out other faults.
I have used a general purpose greese for now to save running it dry but as it needs to come apart again I can regrease if it is a critical element.

I may even change the hub for something else depending on what I can find that fits the drop outs without too much modification.

Mr Arch

• Gothic Arch
« Reply #9 on: 18 October, 2011, 04:52:54 pm »
With a bit of comprehensive testing, up and down the gears, the hub seems to work ok.  Then the axle key broke.
Hopefully with just a replacement key it should be ok.

« Reply #10 on: 18 October, 2011, 05:52:02 pm »
Yay!  Hello you!   :-*

With a bit of comprehensive testing, up and down the gears, the hub seems to work ok.

I read that as 'up and down the stairs' for a moment, and was wondering if you were riding up to the first floor, or down to the cellar!

I looked at RZs link, and the keys on that page seemed to be cylindrical, whereas yours looks like a flat plate. Will that matter?

Mr Arch

• Gothic Arch
« Reply #11 on: 18 October, 2011, 05:58:56 pm »
Yay!  Hello you!   :-*

I looked at RZs link, and the keys on that page seemed to be cylindrical, whereas yours looks like a flat plate. Will that matter?

Hello!

My key is D shaped, square with two corners rounded off.  The ones in the link are like that but with the flat side downwards.

I'll see if I can source one in the mean time but it is good to know they can be bought.

The alternative would be to change the hub.  I am watching a broken Brom wheel with a SA hub on ebay.  It might make life easier.

« Reply #12 on: 18 October, 2011, 06:28:35 pm »

My key is D shaped, square with two corners rounded off.  The ones in the link are like that but with the flat side downwards.

Ah, I see!

rogerzilla

« Reply #13 on: 18 October, 2011, 08:50:16 pm »
The Spectro T3 has been renamed but hasn't changed in design for decades.  They're like watchwork internally (a Sturmey AW is apparently made by Uruk-hai with learning difficulties) but not very well sealed at all.  SA labyrinth seals are legendarily good and only immersion normally foils them.

Mr Arch

• Gothic Arch
« Reply #14 on: 20 October, 2011, 05:01:57 pm »
Fettling update.

Given Tiddles only has one good tyre and so can't go out to play yet I have been fettling, Granville (the Hungarian folder) should have warned him by now!

I started with a bit of 6mm gavanised steel plate and cut out a shape.  I then bent a spring from a V brake spring nicked from a BSO.

Can you tell what it is yet?

This is it fitted.  Much nicer and easier then the aftermarket spring clip and cheaper as my labours are free at the moment.

I took it all off and added some heat shrink sleeving to both bits.

Fitted it again.

Didn't stop there.
This one may hurt as I had to drill a 4mm hole and tap out to M5 for a bolt.

But it does stop the folding pedal from hitting the frame.

rogerzilla

« Reply #15 on: 20 October, 2011, 05:04:59 pm »
Cranks normally break at the pedal eye but even so... :o

Mr Arch

• Gothic Arch
« Reply #16 on: 20 October, 2011, 05:14:17 pm »
Yeah, I was a bit concerned about that but I am also thinking of getting a later crank with the bit cast in to do the same job.  At least that's what I think they have.

Mr Arch

• Gothic Arch
« Reply #17 on: 20 October, 2011, 06:09:43 pm »
Made a clip for Arch too, in red to match her Brom. :)

The curly bit of wire in the photo is the prototype to get the shape and size right.

Did have one 'fatality' though.

Well, Arch does reckon I have strong hands. 8)

« Reply #18 on: 20 October, 2011, 06:41:09 pm »
That's ma man, that is. <swoon>

;D

:-*

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #19 on: 21 October, 2011, 02:51:58 pm »
Of course, none of us would ever use a vice to help grasp and tighten a pair of pliers.  O:-)  Would we?  :-[
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 21 October, 2011, 04:55:48 pm »
Dangerous things, pliers... (DAHIKT)   :facepalm:

« Reply #21 on: 21 October, 2011, 05:18:29 pm »
Of course, none of us would ever use a vice to help grasp and tighten a pair of pliers.  O:-)  Would we?  :-[

Vice? who needs a vice?  I've done that trick with my hands a couple of times. Bloody stings.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #22 on: 21 October, 2011, 06:59:50 pm »
Oooh! I've got a new Brom clip. Works so much better than the Spa one I bought - I mean the Spa one works to hold the back end, but it doesn't engage automatically like MFWHTBAB's design, and it's more awkward to disengage quickly, meaning I've not been using the flip to park, and lets face, the flip is half the fun!

Mr Arch

• Gothic Arch
« Reply #23 on: 21 October, 2011, 09:36:23 pm »

Vice? who needs a vice?  I've done that trick with my hands a couple of times. Bloody stings.

Smarted a bit as it all collapsed in my fist.  My finger nails still have a bit of redness from being pinched under the broken handle.

Arch's Brom clip is very smart, and a slightly slimmer profile then mine.

Mr Arch

• Gothic Arch
« Reply #24 on: 29 October, 2011, 04:24:26 pm »
Tiddles now has his Schwalbe Marathons on.  Only £17.50 each and £2.00 p+p.
The rear one was a bugger to fit propery.  I could get it on the rim but struggled to get it to seat properly.  Loads of messing about to get it on properly.  The front was a doddle.  Are the rims different front and rear?

I wanted to have a saddle bag for Tiddles and so today I made one.

I used a scrap of left over roller black out blind material, as used for the Ratrike panniers and trailer.
The material was sewn into a tube and then flat sewn at the bottom to keep the shape narrow. The top was then rolled down and webbing straps sewn in so it can be rolled and clipped like an Ortlieb bag.
Two toe clips suspend it from the saddle and a double sided velcro band keep it attached to the seat tube.

By releasing the velcro Tiddles can still be folded with the bag being a minimal addition in size.

The top roll fastening can also clip around the seat tube to keep things snug.
This is the bag with waterproof coat, gloves, buff and a few tools in it.

There is also a dedicated Haribo pocket inside near the top as a reserve fuel tank.