Author Topic: Front carrier on Dahon Speed TR?  (Read 4729 times)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Front carrier on Dahon Speed TR?
« on: 20 September, 2012, 11:53:31 pm »
I have the Speed TR, about 6 years old, maybe more now. On the newer ones I see online they have a front carrier but I can't see how it is fitted to the forks etc. Does anybody know if it is retrofittable to the Older models?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Front carrier on Dahon Speed TR?
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2012, 12:39:31 am »
Looking closely at Gewgle Immijizz (Oo'er Mrs!) the front rack appears to be some kind of dedicated low rider fixture, fastening to the fork crown and the mudguard eyes. Caution, I may be talking bollox.  :D

This may be a solution and it's very cheap, provided that you have brake bosses on your forks.

There is also the caveat that while increasing the carrying capacity I have no idea how it may interfere with the fold.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #2 on: 22 September, 2012, 12:45:10 am »
Like the mini one on Flea Buy ;D

Not in any sort of rush so Might wait until I see one inna flesh like at a Dahon dealer.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2012, 10:06:01 pm »
Torslanda is in fact not talking bolleaux at all.  Dahon makes (or made) two front racks: the Tour and the Traveller.  The Tour is a mini-lowrider, and the Traveller is taller with a top platform.  I nearly bought the Tour rack when it was new out, but opted for a Klickfix handlebar bag instead, and putting the bigger load on my back, which I soon learned was never that great a plan.

World Wheels has the Tour, for twenty five of Her Majesty's British Pounds.  Of course, this being Dahon, finding something in stock in the UK and actually available is a bit of a black art.  Derfaltradshop has the Traveller rack for 40 Euros.  Both will take front panniers, while the eBay mini Blackburnalike is probably better for rack bags or other self-supporting things.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #4 on: 22 September, 2012, 10:39:53 pm »
Cheers 'becca. The "Tour" sounds like the one to look at for me. I shall look in there at the next influx of "Earth Pounds" in a week or so.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 24 September, 2012, 07:55:49 pm »
I fitted a 'Tour' front rack to my 2009 Ridgeback 'Attache' [made by Dahon] - its a good quality tubular alloy number, three point fitting at the brake bolt and mudguard eyes. The bolts supplied were a bit long, so I spaced them out with a nut each - just haven't got round to cutting them down properly.

Only carried panniers on one camping tour a few years ago, but another planned this autumn :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 24 September, 2012, 11:19:57 pm »
I quite fancy a front rack.  Now I know how well the Dahon Vitesse behaves under load, I'm minded to add a little weight to the front to keep it grounded.  I might go for a racktop bag with drop down sides.
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 25 September, 2012, 07:42:47 pm »
I have the Speed TR, about 6 years old, maybe more now. On the newer ones I see online they have a front carrier but I can't see how it is fitted to the forks etc. Does anybody know if it is retrofittable to the Older models?

I bought the rack and it was a very poor fit. Didn't quite line up on my Speed TR which I think is the same year as yours. I made a bracket to compensate at the fork crown but was never happy with it so I fitted a Brompton block and use the Brompton T bag.
Both my small wheeled bikes benefit from weight on the front wheel especially up hills.

Did you ever finish reading those Adventure Cycling mags PD?
Never knowingly under caffeinated

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 25 September, 2012, 08:45:10 pm »
How did you fit the Brompton block, nobby?
Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: 25 September, 2012, 09:56:00 pm »
How did you fit the Brompton block, nobby?

I bought the Klikfix Dahon block to mount at first and found when it arrived that it was only rated at 5kgs, and not the 10kgs that it said on the website at the time.

Then I stole a thought from Literida.
An alloy plate (about 4mm thick), two car exhaust brackets around the steering tube and through the plate (I seem to recall that the exhaust clamps were a slightly unusual size - 38mm maybe - but a kind fitter at Kwikfit gave me two), then drilling and tapping to bolt the B block to the plate. It was very easy and worth doing because the old B tour bag holds loads if required.

If you need pics TJ let me know and I'll tear myself away from this busy retirement and take some  :D
Never knowingly under caffeinated

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 25 September, 2012, 09:57:26 pm »
No need for pics just now, as we're not in the position to do that, but I can definitely see how it would be a good idea.  Butterfly has a Brommie bag on her Helios, and it is great.
Getting there...

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #11 on: 25 September, 2012, 10:37:28 pm »
Oops! Sorry Nobby, I totally forgot!  I've got builders and electricians in the flat for a couple of days but I'll try and smiff them out over the weekend and let you know the score. O:-)