Author Topic: Storing Pears  (Read 3143 times)

Storing Pears
« on: 09 October, 2022, 07:50:38 pm »
We've finally got a pear crop worth mentioning.

The Conference pears would seem to be OK to store in a cool place, rather like apples. But I've also got some of the more juicy Comice type (it's actually Beth) with a soft flesh which would seem at first sight to be more difficult to store.

Any advice on storing pears - particularly the more juicy sort?

(We've tried juicing them and found the result disappointing, and we don't want to make pear cider)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Re: Storing Pears
« Reply #1 on: 09 October, 2022, 08:10:10 pm »
I am no expert - but don't you mak eaux-de-vie with pears?
Industrial quantities of vodka and some big sterilised jars?

« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2022, 08:43:11 am »
I preserve them in spiced syrup. I have racks of kilner jars ready for the winter.
(Mum's pear crop this year was 6. Previously I've had to assist in the storage, not this year).

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2022, 11:42:57 am »
Comice are definitely more difficult to keep - they've just arrived in my local supermarket and the supply usually stops mid December.  Until then they are my pear of choice, I think they are referred to as the Queen of Pears.  Whereas Conferences are available all year round.  A bit of research suggests storing them in a refrigerator - not in a larder, and then taking them out for a couple of days to finish the ripening process.  For supermarket bought pears I normally eat them Wed - Fri after a Saturday shop.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Storing Pears
« Reply #4 on: 10 October, 2022, 01:52:53 pm »
My wife preserves our pear crop (conference) by canning them in Kilner jars. She uses water for the liquid, with a bit of vitamin c to prevent them discolouring. They keep well.

You could probably do the same with Comice but they might go a bit mushy.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #5 on: 10 October, 2022, 03:46:55 pm »
I am also willing to help people with their comice surplus :)
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)