Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
OT Gallery / Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Last post by TimC on Today at 09:11:27 pm »
RAF Airbus 400M just flew down the loch at only 175ft altitude.

Erm, that's lower than many of the surrounding hills.

Took off from Elgin, been flying close to ground through Skye, through the loch valleys of Harris and Lewis ('through' not over). Then Buzzed stornoway airport.

Now doing a pass over the middle of Lewis, still sticking to no more than 150ft off the deck.

Low level flight training?

How are you judging its altitude? You do realise that the Mode C squawk works only on ISA numbers unless you have ATC conversion equipment. The barometric pressure at Lossiemouth is 1024mb. That means the altitude reading from Mode C transponders needs to be adjusted by 11mb (approximately 330ft) to get a reasonable approximation of the aircraft's height above sea level. If you had datalink (as Mode S supplies and the military and civil air traffic authorities can interpret), the radar altitude of the aircraft above the ground can be derived. The Minimum Separation Distance under normal circumstances for low flying fixed-wing military aircraft is 250', and it's not easy to maintain anything close to that in lumpy terrain. Within LFA7T (tactical training area) specially-qualified crews can fly down to 100ft MSD, but it's incredibly difficult to get down to that anywhere other than over ridges or large amounts of water or very flat ground.

It's likely that the A400 was operating to 250' limits, and was in fact around 3-400ft most of the time.
Food & Drink / Re: Beer!
« Last post by Wowbagger on Today at 09:10:00 pm »
This evening I am drinking Clogwyn Gold, from the bragdy Conwy. A typical golden ale, very hoppy. This one is bottle conditioned. Very enjoyable.
Yet more rain and cold in Suffolk, and the weekend is going to be.... cold and wet. Not even going to make it into double figures tomorrow.
Audax / Re: Steady lights on on calendar events - resolution for AUK AGM
« Last post by Kim on Today at 08:49:42 pm »
I don't think there's any decent real-world evidence for bike lights having any safety benefit at all.  Even front lights probably just help you to ride faster.
My take home pay as a newly qualified teacher in 1975 was just short of £130 a month.
And in 1969, it was £69/month, and that included extra for having a degree and a PGCE!
Food & Drink / Re: Beer!
« Last post by Wowbagger on Today at 08:32:43 pm »
I discovered that there is a Cwm Gwaun brewery not far at all from where we are staying. Since it would have been rude not to pay a call, we did. I had a very pleasant pint and bought six bottles to take home. Jan and I had a good chat with the brewer and his only other customer, all of us English.
My take home pay as a newly qualified teacher in 1975 was just short of £130 a month.
There is a great deal of sunshine forecast for the Pembrokeshire coast for the next week. Sadly, we will be in England tomorrow and home on Sunday.
Caption It / Re: Caption it #2080
« Last post by rogerzilla on Today at 08:19:02 pm »
Hung like an Argos pencil.
The Pub / Re: what I have learned today.
« Last post by The Family Cyclist on Today at 08:18:13 pm »
And let soil.pipe smells into your bathroom

Nope, there's still some water just not as much so easier to apply cleaner
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10