Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 390983 times)

Assasin

• It can only get better
Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #125 on: 19 July, 2011, 01:58:07 pm »
As one of the greyer grey hairs - yes you can do that
Just remember that the first 400 has to be within 27 hours
The other two will be  slower as you get the full effect of the event
If you are up for the full 90 hours of fun it might be better to treat it as a 600 followed by two 300's.
600 inside 40 hours followed by two 300's inside 25 hours each.

I would try to earn & maintain a float of about 2 hours westbound for
any problems physical/mechanical that might happen.
Hopefully they won't but you need a contingency just in case.

on the return if you can maintain the same pace the time in hand should increase to cover sleep stops of a suitable length.
whatever you do don't try to ride through night 3 (tues) without sleep
That when you can screw the whole thing up as most ordinary mortals can't do it.
That was passed on to me by an even greyer grey hair who knows these things.

Enjoy it BB
Find a big green windbreak (my crew) and we will get you home
We are also slow up and fast down.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #126 on: 19 July, 2011, 02:21:15 pm »
My strategy will be to ride as fast as I possibly can at all times and hope that's enough.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #127 on: 19 July, 2011, 03:46:16 pm »
Can you (would you) do a audax on a Brompton or are they a pig long distance up n down hills ? Also is that rear pannier rack looking thing on a Brompton actually a rear  pannier rack ?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #128 on: 19 July, 2011, 03:58:51 pm »
Tal of this parish has completed PBP, LEL and Mille Miglia on his customised Brompton. An Italian rode LEL01 on a three speed Brompton.

The rear rack will take a big racktop bag but don't even think about panniers.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #129 on: 19 July, 2011, 04:23:50 pm »
There were several Bromptons on the Dunwich Dynamo this weekend.

Mal Volio has taken one up the Col Du Tourmalet, I do believe!

border-rider

« Reply #130 on: 19 July, 2011, 04:34:16 pm »
Aubisque, Aspin, Tourmalet, Mont Ventoux & Puy de Dome  :)

(not all the same day, or even the same year, and I didn't have the cojones to descend them onna Brommie)

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #131 on: 19 July, 2011, 04:42:24 pm »
Oooh good. Ive wanted one for years. Along with other bicycles. My panniers are very small, they could fit ?. I seen a Brompten conversion once that had dropped handle bars and Ive been in love ever since :)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #132 on: 19 July, 2011, 05:01:22 pm »
No panniers on the back. I know a fellow who made a rack that mounts a pair of front panniers on the Brompton block, either side of the headset.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #133 on: 19 July, 2011, 10:16:30 pm »
A “grey hair” suggested as a strategy to treat the event as 3 - 400`s.

I object to being called a "grey hair". I have no hair thses days and reject these hairist insults.

But 3 x 400k's is my strategy. Although I endorse the 600 + 2x300 strategy also.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #134 on: 19 July, 2011, 10:36:50 pm »
I've just entered my first DIY-GPS, for a 200 starting/finish at my house. On the entry form I had to specify a ride date. For normal perms I like to keep a few cards in the drawer for the odd free weekend ride, can I "keep" my virtual GPS-DIY card or does it expire if I don't use it on the correct date?
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #135 on: 20 July, 2011, 12:14:39 am »
You can leave the date blank but must email the org before you leave on the ride.
When riders pay me for rides I add them to a spreadsheet and add the rides as and when they enter.
Riders can enter just before they leave home if they want to, but have to be sure the ride is ok for distance.
If it comes out short when I check it it will have to be refused.

I have sent my organiser a ride the same way and he is happy with that also.
Check with yours and see what he does

Rich

« Reply #136 on: 21 July, 2011, 03:44:46 pm »
I've ridden a few audaxes which I've entered on the line. Although, I'm listed as finishing in the results, they don't show up in "My results" in the members part of the audax site.

Is there any way of getting these credited to yourself?

I've done enough events to get my Brevet 500, but only 3 official results are showing in my results.

My results for 2011
ACP Brevet Evno Memno Event Date Pts AAA Climb
 10-307 7656 ALFRETON, NW of Nottingham 110 13 Nov (To the Races)
 11-224 7656 CRICH, Derbyshire 104 04 Jun (Tramway 100)
 11-114 7656 ALFRETON, Derbyshire 154 25 Jun (North notts sleepy villages)

I've also ridden the Roses to Wrags 200, the 3 fields 100, plus a couple of other audaxes more recently - Cotswolds Outing and China Teapot (These were entered in advance, but the results aren't available yet.)
Sherwood CC - Squadra Giallo Verde

« Reply #137 on: 21 July, 2011, 04:15:15 pm »
Trev,

Whether you enter on the line or in advance makes no difference to the recording of events.  If you look at the "Individual Rides List" under the Results tab, your three recorded rides are listed.  When I look at my own "My Results" under the Members tab the information is identical to the Individual Rides List (as I would expect).  While I can look at your Individual Rides List, I cannot look at your My Results page as it is password protected.  If yours are different it would suggest a system quirk, which should be reported to the webmaster, Pete Coates, who sometimes posts here.

« Reply #138 on: 21 July, 2011, 05:23:14 pm »
Thanks, but it looks to me as when you enter on the line (not online) the organiser doesn't know your AUK number and so you don't get credited with the ride. The system doesn't seem to be smart enough to recognise you, but I was wondering if there was a way to link or include the EOL rides into "my results", without intervention by the webmaster.

If you look at the results of the 3 fields and Roses to Wrags, I'm listed but the result doesn't carry over into "My results".
Sherwood CC - Squadra Giallo Verde

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #139 on: 21 July, 2011, 06:19:59 pm »
Entering ON the line is the same as entering by post (except later). In both cases the organiser needs to spot your AUK number and key that into the results web-interface. (This is actually quicker than keying in non-members).

I guess if he has a pile of (non-member) on-the-line entries to process, he may miss the odd member in there. In which case the "webmaster" (I don't know who this really is, but someone here will!) probably needs to manually link your entry to your "AUK" self.

Probably.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #140 on: 27 July, 2011, 03:02:50 am »
How long does it take to get used to kilometres, any tips on making the switch? I've changed my bike computer to kilometres for my next audax ride, worked in miles for previous rides but can't bear to re-type the route-sheet and convert it all to miles this time.

« Reply #141 on: 27 July, 2011, 06:53:08 am »
It didn't take me very long.  Nowadays I do all my cycling in kilometres, and find I can very quickly convert between km and miles when in conversation with non-audaxers*  If you have a computer that can be set for different wheel sizes, you can set it so that one "wheel size" is actually reading km and the other miles.  If you can be bothered.

*on several occasions when I've been chatting to cyclists I've met on the road they have mentioned a ride distance in kilometres.  They're surprised when I respond "oh, you're an audaxer", but using kilometres is a fairly reliable identifier.

Billy Weir

« Reply #142 on: 27 July, 2011, 07:48:31 am »
The irony of the event you entered is that it is what the imperialists call a century.  100 miles = 160km (or thereabouts).  It might even be the route sheet shows both miles and kilometres (I've been on a couple of centuries that have done just that, but not having done the one you are on, not sure if it will be the case there).

You have the joy of converting road signs from miles to kilometres to look forward to.  It's not instant when you first ride, but multiply by 3 and divide by 2, and add a bit will get you there or thereabouts.  After a while it will become second nature to convert 3 miles to just under 5km (say).  A bit like darts players, figuring out what score they have left - a combination of arithmetic brilliance and experience - in other words.

Another thing I've seen done (although very unusual) is for riders to adjust the instructions on their routesheet.  There's no reason why you can't break the mould and tippex out the "forrun" km distances and overwrite them with the queen's own miles.  Or scribble the miles figure on the sheet alongside the km.

« Reply #143 on: 27 July, 2011, 08:06:23 am »
It doesn't take long to adjust at all. And, until you've got used to the major conversions and can rattle them out (10miles=16km, 50km=31miles etc.) then you can amuse yourself doing the conversions in your head on the road (multiply by 5, divide by 8 or vice-versa depending upon which way you are going). It's a good sign of your current mental state how quickly you can do this, or even if you can maintain the concentration to be bothered at all  :)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #144 on: 27 July, 2011, 09:49:02 am »
I've changed my computer to km for all of my Audax rides to date bar one (my most recent).

On some of my earliest rides I thought I'd be reliant on using the distances on the route sheet to spot instructions (so much so that if cumulative distances weren't provided then I'd run the route through bikely to redo the routesheet with cumulatives on it).

Since then I've become more used to the route sheets and probably won't bother switching to km in future.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #145 on: 31 July, 2011, 06:00:06 pm »
... it looks to me as when you enter on the line (not online) the organiser doesn't know your AUK number and so you don't get credited with the ride. The system doesn't seem to be smart enough to recognise you ...

'The system' is very much MemNo-driven.  When you enter in advance it is to the Organiser's advantage to use your Memno to help populate the Start List, and this information eventually makes its way through to the Results. 
When you enter on the line the Start List is already in paper form, and your name may be simply scribbled on as an addition.  If things happen this way, there's a good chance of your memno getting lost in the process.
It's very much dependent on the Organiser - some will process on the line entries 'properly' (assuming you put your membership number on the entry form you signed at the start) but you've obviously found one or more who don't.  Some won't handle on the line entries at all.
[ edited - thanks, mattc ! ]
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #146 on: 31 July, 2011, 06:46:19 pm »
... some will process online entries 'properly' (assuming you put your membership number on the entry form you signed at the start) but you've obviously found one or more who don't.  Some won't handle online entries at all.
There should be a fine for this error  ::-)

;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #147 on: 02 August, 2011, 11:04:30 am »
Sorry!  Quite right.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

CramCycle

• Mille Failte
    • The Bicycling Biochemist
« Reply #148 on: 10 August, 2011, 07:04:30 pm »
Is it possible to get a 400km medal if you do a 400 perm or is it only on organised rides?

Billy Weir

« Reply #149 on: 10 August, 2011, 07:09:26 pm »
Is it possible to get a 400km medal if you do a 400 perm or is it only on organised rides?

There is no difference between the treatment of perms and calendars in this regard.