Author Topic: carrying spanners  (Read 11648 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: carrying spanners
« Reply #25 on: 18 October, 2010, 08:21:41 pm »
Aha, thanks for that. It actually looks quite sensible - it's just as if the top part of the saddle clamp has been incorporated into the saddle itself. The obvious downside is that you can't move it fore and aft.  OTOH angle adjustment probably becomes easier, and I suppose there's a minimal weight saving.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #26 on: 18 October, 2010, 08:23:03 pm »
And you limit yourself to a very small number of saddles.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #27 on: 18 October, 2010, 08:28:46 pm »
There is that! Fine if the OE saddle suits you, but not if it doesn't.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 18 October, 2010, 09:43:39 pm »
This thread got me googling...

I have, I think, located the ultimate bling:

6" TITANIUM ADJUSTABLE WRENCH

*little moment*

And for you fixie types:

15MM TITANIUM COMBINATION SPANNER

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #29 on: 18 October, 2010, 09:46:52 pm »
*swoon*
Getting there...

« Reply #30 on: 18 October, 2010, 09:48:25 pm »

And for you fixie types:

Hells bells, you'd be a little annoyed if you left one of those beside the road after dealing with the puncture fairy. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
Getting there...

« Reply #32 on: 18 October, 2010, 09:52:11 pm »

£94  ;D

Just as well I've changed (well, at the back anyway) to Allen bolts or I'd have been straight on that (not).

« Reply #33 on: 18 October, 2010, 09:59:52 pm »
This is an interesting option if you're carrying a U-Lock.

U-Lock Socket

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available (yet).

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #34 on: 18 October, 2010, 10:07:42 pm »
£495.47
Ordered.

Ha ha, had you there!

« Reply #35 on: 18 October, 2010, 10:08:16 pm »
£495.47
Ordered.

Three. One of each saddlepack.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #36 on: 18 October, 2010, 10:11:40 pm »
Four, actually.

One for my son to take to school.

« Reply #37 on: 18 October, 2010, 10:46:07 pm »
Enough of the boasting, I'll be impressed when someone buys one and cuts the open end off.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Zoidburg

« Reply #38 on: 18 October, 2010, 10:53:44 pm »

And for you fixie types:

Hells bells, you'd be a little annoyed if you left one of those beside the road after dealing with the puncture fairy. :-\
They must be aimed at underwater engineering jobs as Ti is generaly not a good tool material as it doesn't hold an edge well.

« Reply #39 on: 18 October, 2010, 11:01:27 pm »
The Ti torque wrenches (POA) say they are for the MRI sector, so I would guess it could be the non magnetic aspect.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #40 on: 18 October, 2010, 11:21:29 pm »
When on the SS I have a flat spanner that fits in a triangular bag inside the frame. I think it was from Halfrauds.
It is simpler than it looks.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #41 on: 18 October, 2010, 11:24:43 pm »
For the weight weenie, an 'orrible cheapo dumbbell multi spanner is lighter than just about anything else you can use for a 15mm nut, and fits in any small bag or pocket.  It might even last a few years if saved for roadside emergencies only.

Those have always been the mainstay of my portable repair toolkit, along with a small allen-key-rich multitool, a chain tool (if the multitool doesn't have that) and some spare links.  Fixie survival kit, covers most scenarios I'll encounter on a commute.  I've certainly used the dumbbell spanner much more often than any other tool.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #42 on: 19 October, 2010, 03:07:42 pm »
Further to this, can you get small-ish seatpost mounted bags?  Various searches show a number of large bag that use this system, ie Carradice SQR, but I haven't seen anything at the small, cheap and cheerful end of the market.

« Reply #43 on: 19 October, 2010, 03:54:53 pm »
Probably not exactly what you're after but I use one like this:

Topeak Aero Wedge Buckle On Large Saddle Bag Only £15.29

Big enough to carry the toolkit and spares I carry on an Audax (multi-tool, chain tool, puncture repair kit, patches, tyre levers, adjustable spanner, 15mm spanner, topeak micro rocket CB pump, two spare tubes, spare batteries, insulating tape, pencil, spare cash, spare chain links)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #44 on: 20 October, 2010, 01:04:11 pm »
Just received one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160490487327&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It's just 24g - about half the weight of another dumbell spanner I have - so light that at first I thought it was aluminium!  I don't think it can be though.  Best used as little as possible anyway.

EDIT: This is so light that I think it must be aluminium after all.  Apparently the cheap but heavier ones are usually zinc - also softer than ideal.  It helps though that it's quite close fit, and fits more than two sides of the nut at once.  It doesn't help that it's so short.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #45 on: 23 October, 2010, 04:05:58 pm »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160490487327&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It's just 24g - about half the weight of another dumbell spanner I have - so light that at first I thought it was aluminium!  I don't think it can be though.  Best used as little as possible anyway.

EDIT: This is so light that I think it must be aluminium after all.  Apparently the cheap but heavier ones are usually zinc - also softer than ideal.  It helps though that it's quite close fit, and fits more than two sides of the nut at once.  It doesn't help that it's so short.

Yes, they are interestingly light.  I shall have to experiment a bit with them, but I think they'll probably be fine, so long as the bolts haven't been done up by an ape (which on a colleagues bike was the case, hence the demise of a previous version of this spanner).

I'd think that they are probably OK for wheels, although I have chaintugs on my singlespeed, so don't need them ludicrously tight anyway.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #46 on: 23 October, 2010, 04:14:22 pm »
I carry the usual anti-fairy kit & have a 15mm combi spanner fixed to the two braze-ons on the seat tube of the Langster

« Reply #47 on: 28 November, 2010, 11:11:29 pm »

It's just 24g - about half the weight of another dumbell spanner I have - so light that at first I thought it was aluminium!  I don't think it can be though.  Best used as little as possible anyway.

Yes, they are interestingly light.  I shall have to experiment a bit with them, but I think they'll probably be fine, so long as the bolts haven't been done up by an ape (which on a colleagues bike was the case, hence the demise of a previous version of this spanner).

I'd think that they are probably OK for wheels, although I have chaintugs on my singlespeed, so don't need them ludicrously tight anyway.

OK, they really aren't very strong.  I just tried to remove the rear wheel from Vince (singlespeed snow bike), which wasn't all that tight.  It is an ex-spanner, it is no more.  Strictly speaking it still is, however it's in two pieces. :-\

They're probably not useful for bolting and unbolting wheels, they really can't take much force at all.

« Reply #48 on: 29 November, 2010, 04:09:06 am »
...Also, if I need to, is there an easy way of carrying spanners, ie can you get versions that can be easily attached to the frame via the bottle-mounts?...

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/trixie.html

« Reply #49 on: 29 November, 2010, 11:19:11 pm »
They're probably not useful for bolting and unbolting wheels, they really can't take much force at all

They are very handy for the nuts on SKS mudguard stays, but not much use for anything else.