Author Topic: eBay rant  (Read 27005 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: eBay rant
« Reply #25 on: 03 August, 2020, 05:10:58 pm »

Some high quality thread necromancy here. Nicely done!

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #26 on: 03 August, 2020, 06:16:19 pm »
eBay is the undead.  Nothing can kill it, not even coronavirus.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #27 on: 04 August, 2020, 12:34:45 pm »
IME, the seller will get about 80% of the actual price (item price + P&P) paid by the buyer. It varies a bit depending on the postage, if the postage is high compared with the item price, then it can go down even 50%.

Eg, I sold an item for £5, P&P was £4, so the buyer paid £9, but I only got about £4.

rogerzilla

« Reply #28 on: 27 August, 2020, 02:53:34 pm »
This week's experience: won some new PD-6800 SPD-SL pedals for £47 (!) and paid instantly.

Next day seller sends a brusque message "your payment is short.  Please pay the postage."

I send him the PayPal receipt.  He says he's only had £48.68, not £50.70.

I ask if he knows about PayPal fees.

It goes quiet for a bit.

He messages saying he knows about the fees but they've never done it that way before  ???  Also says he will post them now and I am very lucky.

They turn up today.  They are fine, but he charged me for first class and sent them second class.  What a cockwomble.

Ultimately, he's pissed off because he expected £100, I suppose.  Well, 9.30 on a Sunday morning is not the optimum time to end an auction  :facepalm:

« Reply #29 on: 13 September, 2020, 11:42:54 am »
Selling a shopper bike that Mrs A no longer uses. 

A bit of a bidding war pushes the price up, two bidders, 18 bids. 

Get a message from one bidder asking me to cancel because they had a fall..

Pretty much means the bidding gets back to the very low starting price and now there are just a few hours to go!  Cancelled bids, not a good look.
Move Faster and Bake Things

rogerzilla

« Reply #30 on: 16 November, 2020, 09:36:33 am »
Message from joybidder today: "Please cancel all my bids thank you I’ve already bought one".

There isn't much you can do except cancel the bids and block them so they can never bid on your auctions again.  Ebay rules don't allow scatterbidding but, if you force them to go through with it, there goes your 100% feedback.

rogerzilla

« Reply #31 on: 21 February, 2021, 03:15:50 pm »
I've noticed an increasing trend for items to be pulled early. Either they're listed for more elsewhere or deals are being done to avoid eBay fees.  This has always gone on but, on items with bids in place, it is fucking rude.

« Reply #32 on: 21 February, 2021, 06:48:46 pm »
It could be the effect of FB Marketplace.

« Reply #33 on: 21 February, 2021, 07:13:59 pm »

Told my bidder I was not prepared to cancel.  It was fine, they didn't win and I got a good price; it was a nice quality machine despite being a bit last century.. 

Most of my ebay purchases are BIN these days.

« Reply #34 on: 21 February, 2021, 08:32:28 pm »

Most of my ebay purchases are BIN these days.
I've got a handful of vintage cameras in 'spares or repair' condition that I must get around to selling - and I'm certainly not messing with auctions. It's too much aggravation these days.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

rogerzilla

« Reply #35 on: 21 February, 2021, 09:05:46 pm »
If I have an offer declined on an auction, I get a little satisfaction from placing a bid for less than the offer.

E.g. new pair of Ultegra pedals: offer of £70 declined, bid £69, won for £43  ;D

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #36 on: 23 February, 2021, 10:57:18 am »
Dear fucking ebay.  Will you please bastard well cease with the annoying show-&-shuffle search results.  You show me exactly what I want then shuffle the results 0.5 seconds later with the perfect match nowhere to be seen.  Pack it the fuck in.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

rogerzilla

« Reply #37 on: 25 February, 2021, 09:25:47 am »
I bought these a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233903110397

They are as rough as a buzzard's crutch, with bearings totally rusted out on both sides (rubber seals long disappeared - very hard to see in the photos) so I sent them back for a refund.  The seller has just relisted them, still with no mention of their scrap condition.

I think I ought to leave feedback as a warning.

« Reply #38 on: 25 February, 2021, 05:00:07 pm »
I treat any listing without a description of condition with suspicion, eg:

Item name (eg shimano spd pedals pd-m323, Makita drill etc). Condition is "Used". Dispatched with Royal Mail 1st Class.

Loads of listings have just that in the description, nothing else.

Either the seller is lazy or dishonest.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #39 on: 25 February, 2021, 07:20:23 pm »
He's also bragging about his 100% feedback, perhaps he needs some honest feedback.

« Reply #40 on: 25 February, 2021, 07:26:15 pm »
I treat any listing without a description of condition with suspicion,

They autogenerate that.

I usually find I have little else to say, other than some variation on "good condition but usual wear and tear", which is entirely meaningless.

« Reply #41 on: 27 February, 2021, 03:28:57 pm »
I thought it might be automatic because so many listings have the same exact description, which makes it even worse as the seller doesn't even bother to write anything at all.

I also pass over any listing with "the photos form part of the description".

« Reply #42 on: 28 February, 2021, 07:58:47 am »

I also pass over any listing with "the photos form part of the description".
I scan through the 'cheap old film camera' listings most weeks and am bemused by the relatively large number of cameras that are 'working', 'tested' or 'tested with film' when they use obsolete film types.
Ditto anything listed as 'rare' - your description of it as collectable does not double the price, (particularly if its an Instamatic) .
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #43 on: 28 February, 2021, 07:14:49 pm »
Sold a low-value item this evening (started bidding at 99p). Bids received, item ended. eBay is now telling me "Sorry, this item did not sell" whilst also telling me it sold. Clicking on the actual item shows at the top: "You sold this item | Relist" - no option to send an invoice to the winner as it normally would.

I'm thoroughly confused. I think it's sold, but it's also saying it's not... ???

« Reply #44 on: 28 February, 2021, 07:20:06 pm »
Sold a low-value item this evening (started bidding at 99p). Bids received, item ended. eBay is now telling me "Sorry, this item did not sell" whilst also telling me it sold. Clicking on the actual item shows at the top: "You sold this item | Relist" - no option to send an invoice to the winner as it normally would.

I'm thoroughly confused. I think it's sold, but it's also saying it's not... ???

Ah well, buyer has paid, so clearly eBay was just having a moment.

rogerzilla

« Reply #45 on: 06 April, 2021, 06:49:29 pm »
Ordered 28 spokes.  Seller does them in 8s or 2s.  I ordered 3 x 8 and 2 x 2.

I got 40  ???

« Reply #46 on: 06 April, 2021, 09:30:18 pm »
The bastard.

« Reply #47 on: 07 April, 2021, 01:42:58 am »
I recently won an auction.  On my phone it said it had 3 minutes less time remaining than the countdown on my laptop. At the risk of inflating the price I went with the mobile and won. I forgot to look at what the laptop countdown did but I would have lost the bidding if I hadn’t used a mobile instead. Never seen that before.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #48 on: 07 April, 2021, 07:44:27 am »
I recently won an auction.  On my phone it said it had 3 minutes less time remaining than the countdown on my laptop. At the risk of inflating the price I went with the mobile and won. I forgot to look at what the laptop countdown did but I would have lost the bidding if I hadn’t used a mobile instead. Never seen that before.

Moral of the story:  Use AuctionSniper - it's the only way I bid now.   Decide on max I'll bid, enter the details and forget about it until I either get the winner email, or the end time passes I don't.  Stops you getting carried away with bids.

rogerzilla

« Reply #49 on: 07 April, 2021, 07:51:52 am »
The bastard.
I know.  He could at least have sent enough to build another wheel  ;D