Author Topic: "highway network is there to facilitate movement of vehicles" - races cancelled  (Read 6753 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Yes and no, DM

My son has taken part in some of the (now cancelled) TTs. He isn't riding a 1500k bike, he's riding a 2nd hand Al-framed bike that cost about £300. He was only 17 when he took part in the rides, and £5-15 per ride is a lot for a lad his age. He wasn't the only one; Clifton has a number of young riders, the sport depends on new blood.

TTs or road races? TTs should not have been cancelled. Road races are a different game entirely.

Our club pays (1) a significant proportion of entry fees for the club juniors/youths as we want to encourage newcomers/younger riders. A club that is looking to it's future will do that, the money comes from the surplus from the events the club organises.

..d

(1) or would do if asked
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Time Trials. Maybe I misunderstood, I thought that TTs had been cancelled.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Sorry about the odd capitals in my last post. Dunno why they happened.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Yes and no, DM

My son has taken part in some of the (now cancelled) TTs. He isn't riding a 1500k bike, he's riding a 2nd hand Al-framed bike that cost about £300. He was only 17 when he took part in the rides, and £5-15 per ride is a lot for a lad his age. He wasn't the only one; Clifton has a number of young riders, the sport depends on new blood.

I know it has to paid for somehow, but it's still not that cheap for youngsters.
There are obviously variations and exceptions (e.g. your lad!), but in my area most juniors are riding verrrrry expensive bikes. [I only really see the 15+ y'olds]

It does seem ludicrous to pay a smaller entry fee when clearly your equipment budget is in no way holding you back!

(OTOH £15 is pretty steep for a TT )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Time Trials. Maybe I misunderstood, I thought that TTs had been cancelled.
Clifton's own club TT series is still running, as is their open TT, as is their criterium in York.  Their TT series is on the one night of the week that I can't even hope to manage, but that's another story.

Another local race cancellation is here.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Road too potholey?

I can feel a century of pavé racers curling a lip and muttering something rude in French.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Hmm.. One of the national series races in Scotland is nicknamed 'Paisley-Roubaix' for the very same reason. On the start sheet it says 'do not bring your lightweight race wheels'

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

spen666

'TLI' is an unhelpful set of initials.

Sounds the best set of initials for THE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL

'TLI' is an unhelpful set of initials.

Sounds the best set of initials for THE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL

I'd find 'LI' more intuitive.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Even so, that could be a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or a League of Evil or a League of Potato Scrimshawyers or a Five-A-Side League!  A name that has something to do with cycling is traditional for cycling organisations.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

spen666

Even so, that could be a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or a League of Evil or a League of Potato Scrimshawyers or a Five-A-Side League!  A name that has something to do with cycling is traditional for cycling organisations.
The League of International Cyclists perhaps

Bicycles are vehicles, both from a sensible perspective and in the eyes of the law.

Arguably a sports event involving them isn't actually necessary, but there again neither are a very large proportion of the uses of the road by motor vehicles.

If what I have seen so far this year is anything to judge by, North Yorks Roads will see a very large number of motorcycles this summer homing in on Helmsley.  Many riders travel from far afield to ride on N. Yorks roads and if they observe speed limits then I'm the Pope's wife.  Despite the casualty rate on N. Yorks roads, the police force have resisted suggestions to curb the problem such as speed cameras.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Oh, come on, Asterix, are you trying to say that one death a week in normal weeks and several hundred motorcyclists turning up at one cafe in a day is an issue?  They pay road tax, doncha know!
<i>Marmite slave</i>