Author Topic: Ever had stuff thrown at you (whilst cycling)?  (Read 16008 times)

Pete

Re: Ever had stuff thrown at you (whilst cycling)?
« Reply #50 on: 18 July, 2008, 11:39:47 am »
A few lit cigarettes - most of these thoughtlessly discarded whilst I have been filtering.
Moreover, aside from endangering road users, lit cigarettes can start fires.  Over the years there have been several instances of serious forest/heathland fires in Ashdown Forest (a particularly vulnerable and sensitive area), suspected of being down to fags thrown from cars (the busy A22 and A275 cross the Forest).

I would like to see such behaviour treated as arson, even if it doesn't start a fire.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #52 on: 18 July, 2008, 11:56:53 am »
>:(
Getting there...

« Reply #53 on: 18 July, 2008, 08:16:31 pm »
I pass through one of the less salubrious areas of town on my commute.

I've had Primary School age children run to the kerb to spit on me as I pass - with their parents baying with laughter at little Johnny's wit.

One winter two boys age 10-ish threw a rugby ball at me.  By fluke, I was on my slicked up MTB winter commuter and the ball landed right in front of my wheel whilst I was doing 20mph-ish.  The ball burst with an amazing bang and I hardly even lost any speed and only had a slight wobble.  ;D

Noodley was hit by a large fish (trout?) a couple of months back, he was OK, but the poor soul they attacked after him wasn't so lucky.  It's in the hands of Tayside Police now I believe - they picked on the wrong people with the Noodleys  :demon:

RJMcB

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #54 on: 18 July, 2008, 10:05:25 pm »
I once had a Fairy Visitation outside Chancery Lane tube station, so pulled off to change the tube.  While I was so doing I got a right ear-bashing from a newspaper vendor.  "Sorry", I said, "I'll make sure the next time I have a p+nct+r+ I'm nowhere near you, you pissweasel fuckpuppettm"

I know that this is supposed to be a serious thread. Some horrible things have happened to people.

Nevertheless, I feel the need to nominate Mr Larrington for a Nobel Prize :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #55 on: 19 July, 2008, 07:14:49 am »
I once had a Fairy Visitation outside Chancery Lane tube station, so pulled off to change the tube.  While I was so doing I got a right ear-bashing from a newspaper vendor.  "Sorry", I said, "I'll make sure the next time I have a p+nct+r+ I'm nowhere near you, you pissweasel fuckpuppettm"

I know that this is supposed to be a serious thread. Some horrible things have happened to people.

Nevertheless, I feel the need to nominate Mr Larrington for a Nobel Prize :D
+1 

The term 'pissweasel fuckpuppet' is indeed sheer poetry.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #56 on: 19 July, 2008, 11:47:00 am »
A few lit cigarettes - most of these thoughtlessly discarded whilst I have been filtering.
Moreover, aside from endangering road users, lit cigarettes can start fires.  Over the years there have been several instances of serious forest/heathland fires in Ashdown Forest (a particularly vulnerable and sensitive area), suspected of being down to fags thrown from cars (the busy A22 and A275 cross the Forest).

I would like to see such behaviour treated as arson, even if it doesn't start a fire.

The law is just so behind the times, isn't it?

I'd like to see common assault treated as murder, even if it doesn't kill the victim.

And attempted entry to a shop by a teenager should always be treated as shoplifting.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #57 on: 19 July, 2008, 12:57:33 pm »
:o

And there was me thinking I'd been unlucky. Incredible stuff.

An oik threw an egg at Liz from a moving car one evening not so long ago.  It made me wonder - was he on the way home from the shops with some eggs? In which case, did the recipe only call for five?  Or did he keep eggs in the car "just in case"?

Yeah I wondered about that one. Do the egg throwing people buy eggs specifically for this purpose? And what is going through their mind when they do? Are they bought separately, or together with the rest of the shopping?

"Dear, could you pick up some eggs on your way home? I can feel a strong urge coming on to sit by the window and throw them at passing cyclists."

I believe ASDA once sold eggs for that purpose; it might have been around Halloween.

vince

« Reply #58 on: 19 July, 2008, 01:01:52 pm »
I don't think I could ever throw an egg that wasn't free range  :-\

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #59 on: 19 July, 2008, 01:04:06 pm »
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Humber | Man loses sight after egg attack

I think this case was reported in the Emergency Medicine Journal; the report included a photo of a box of eggs sold for throwing.

Pete

« Reply #60 on: 19 July, 2008, 02:13:51 pm »
I'm admittedly flummoxed as to what defines an 'egg for throwing' and what Food Standards it has to meet?

Shall we see a time when there will be an age restriction for buying eggs, and young people will have to show ID, as for fags, booze and knives?  ::-)

The law is just so behind the times, isn't it?

I'd like to see common assault treated as murder, even if it doesn't kill the victim.

And attempted entry to a shop by a teenager should always be treated as shoplifting.
That's the spirit!  And while we're at it bring back the rope - and the birch!  Teach these little brats what-for!

Seriously though (*quietly removes tongue from cheek*) how to just educate these brainless prats that throwing a lit fag from the window is not a convenient way of getting rid of an unwanted item, indeed it can do a helluva lot of damage?  FFS every car I've ever been in has been equipped with at least one ashtray!

And, OT but while we're talking of fire-raising: we had a serious fire in my local Town Centre earlier this week: it was in the news, arson is suspected.  I've just come back from shopping and having a look at the scene: amazing how much devastation it has caused.  Several retailers will probably go out of business.  :(

Treewheeler

« Reply #61 on: 19 July, 2008, 02:29:43 pm »
.Spit
.Broom handle
.Pikies ina pickup thucking flints
.Bottles
.Fists still attached to the owners

« Reply #62 on: 19 July, 2008, 04:46:20 pm »
Am I the only person who gets snowballed when out cycling? Or has global warming removed that possibility from the southern members?

Apart from that the only thing actually thrown at me was a can of something that came out of a passing landrover - I didn't try to chase them as I'd just passed some trouble further up the road and I suspect they'd been involved in that.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Maladict

« Reply #63 on: 19 July, 2008, 04:48:12 pm »
Happened to me in Cambridge several years ago, hit me in the eye.

Pete

« Reply #64 on: 19 July, 2008, 05:01:24 pm »
Am I the only person who gets snowballed when out cycling? Or has global warming removed that possibility from the southern members?
We had snow down here in Sussex - in April this year  :o.  Here's the evidence:

And yes, we did go out snowballing.  But we only threw them at each other - and not at cyclists!  O:-)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #65 on: 21 July, 2008, 11:36:22 am »
The term 'pissweasel fuckpuppet' is indeed sheer poetry.

I wish I could claim it for myself, but it was coined by one Simon Smith to describe a Kevin Sampson who had written a really rubbish article about Half Man Half Biscuit.

He had earlier use  the words "pissweasel" and "fuckpuppet" separately to describe Razrolight's Johnny Borrell.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Chris S

« Reply #66 on: 21 July, 2008, 03:34:17 pm »
We had snow down here in Sussex - in April this year  :o

I suspect those rather more lunatic of us were riding the Dorset Coast 200 round about the time you took that picture. What a snowy bunch we were  :thumbsup:.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #67 on: 22 July, 2008, 10:12:19 am »
I suspect those rather more lunatic of us were riding the Dorset Coast 200 round about the time you took that picture. What a snowy bunch we were  :thumbsup:.

ISTR rust bucket saying that snow tyres wouldn't be required on the Elenith this year as long as you got out of the hills before nightfall.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #68 on: 22 July, 2008, 10:16:23 am »

ISTR rust bucket saying that snow tyres wouldn't be required on the Elenith this year as long as you got out of the hills before nightfall.

I was fat controller on the Dorset Coast, and only the later riders got snowed on before halfway. I missed the snow on the Elenith, though it was a close call.

Chris S

« Reply #69 on: 22 July, 2008, 11:35:06 am »

I was fat controller on the Dorset Coast, and only the later riders got snowed on before halfway. I missed the snow on the Elenith, though it was a close call.

Not quite true - we all got considerably snowed on from the start to the Sandbanks ferry. Us slow coaches then got a further dose just after the lunch stop; for me, it was just as I was hauling my lard to the top of Sector Lane.

« Reply #70 on: 22 July, 2008, 11:50:37 am »
I missed the snow on the Elenith, though it was a close call.

I got a bit on the way up near Kimbolton/Leysters at about 00.30 but it didn't really settle. Absolutely nothing compared to what came down just after the 3am finish though.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Nienke

« Reply #71 on: 23 July, 2008, 10:45:21 am »
I don't think I could ever throw an egg that wasn't free range  :-\

...but as long as they're free range you happy to have the occasional lob at an unsuspecting passer-by??

Che

« Reply #72 on: 23 July, 2008, 12:33:50 pm »
Never had anything thrown at me, but like Charlotte, I've had someone smack my arse while speeding past. This was on a late Friday night, and the passenger seemed pissed. This one didn't get cautioned.

« Reply #73 on: 24 July, 2008, 07:13:11 pm »
Just come back from some circuits of Sefton Park,  riding back into town on Princes Avenue and a Budweiser bottle hit the kerb just in front of me and smashed into fragments. 

Not sure if it was thrown from the car that overtook me, or somewhere else, I just kept pedalling.  >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #74 on: 24 July, 2008, 07:16:55 pm »
I think I've been lucky (so far).

The only thing that's been thrown at me was a packet of Skittles - the car passenger was a rubbish shot though, and they landed a few metres in front of me.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein