Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 131372 times)

This is a touching and encouraging story about ex-England keeper David James, scoring a winner in a non-league match.  He's 53.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68597860

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Lovely story.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Some cracking goals in tonight's Real Madrid v Man City match.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Newcastle's success against foreign teams continued in fine style today with a 4-0 win over Tottenham Notspurs.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Bollocks. Liverpool and Arsenal losing at home have almost certainly given the title to Man City. Well done to Crystal Palace and Aston Villa.

Cudzoziemiec

Bollocks. Liverpool and Arsenal losing at home have almost certainly given the title to Man City. Well done to Crystal Palace and Aston Villa.
It was predictable, but I didn't think it would happen for another couple of weeks at least.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Some remarkable goings-on at Selhurst park this afternoon.

Nowhere near as remarkable as those at Wembley - but you weren't to know that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Good grief! Only just seen that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
(Checks footie results)

Piss!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I do like to get an odd snippet here and there into the press. I'm following (on Graun text) the Brighton v Man City match.

Speaking of terrace favourites, here’s Peter Walker, retired chess correspondent to the Ilford Recorder group of newspapers: “You mention the ‘chess-heads’ in your recent paragraph. The real geeky chess buffs may have noted a chess-related link to today’s affairs: the song Sussex by the Sea, played by the band earlier, was written by one Mr. Ward-Higgs, who was himself a bit of a chess player and donated the Ward-Higgs trophy which is competed for annually by British counties’ first teams at correspondence chess - where moves are sent by post! Essex have a very good record in this event.”

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I think perhaps we should start a forum competition for nonsense like this... ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Poor old Leeds United are suffering at the hands o QPR and now must almost certainly go into the play-offs. Ipswich need only 2 points from 3 games to overtake them.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
My dear brother tells me he occasionally sees David Acfield when he's out and about on his constitutionals. Acfield was a first-rate off-spin bowler and might well have had an England career had it not been for Derek Underwood, and he also represented GB in the olympics with his fencing.

He now writes an occasional piece for the "Essex Birder" magazine, about the bird species to be seen at Hanningfield Reservoir.

Cudzoziemiec

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Maybe they should turn on the sprinklers at random intervals during the manage to change the playing conditions - a little like Bernie Ecclestone suggested for F1 at one point.   
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper