Author Topic: Dry January - 2022  (Read 37221 times)

Chris S

Dry January - 2022
« on: 31 December, 2020, 11:45:39 pm »
As has become traditional, here we are once again.

And so, my liver has some much needed down-time when it can do what it's actually there for, rather than just cleaning up after me.

We're in 'Rona Times now - so it's much more important we look after our immune systems.

Re: Dry January - 2021
« Reply #1 on: 01 January, 2021, 12:09:08 am »
Not planning to go completely dry but once we go back to work I'm aiming to cut my drinking back significantly.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 01 January, 2021, 12:16:49 am »
Never even shared our alcohol-free Kopparberg to welcome the New Year...

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #3 on: 01 January, 2021, 08:09:50 am »
Mrs PC is going for it so I said I'd do it as she gets very miserable if I drink and she doesn't!

Let's see if we can beat our Dry Jan PB which is 4 days I think.  ::-)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 01 January, 2021, 09:21:27 am »
I did Sober October but have been well an truly off the wagon since then... so I think I’ll give my liver another rest this month.

Need to be frugal this month anyway, so spending less on booze may help a little.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 01 January, 2021, 09:23:04 am »
Yes - why not? I finished a bottle of wine yesterday - the one I opened on Christmas Day, so I'm sure I can wait until February before my next tipple. This has been more or less normal for the past 6 months anyway.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6 on: 01 January, 2021, 09:44:23 am »
Me too. I was mostly dry from the beginning of Sept to the weekend before Christmas, so I’ll see how I go now. It’s relatively easy for me not to drink, as my wife doesn’t anyway. Plus it helps with weight loss as well.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #7 on: 01 January, 2021, 09:59:52 am »
I’m in.
 :thumbsup:
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #8 on: 01 January, 2021, 10:19:15 am »
Not planning to go completely dry but once we go back to work I'm aiming to cut my drinking back significantly.
This is what MrsC and I are aiming for. She wants to start losing weight again, which is a major driver. And we still won't have any of the usual social activities, of course. The last weekend in January is usually involves a weekend (or at leat a night) away from home for instance.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9 on: 01 January, 2021, 01:03:02 pm »

Same here, I don't think total abstinence works for me psychologically, though I have done so in the past
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 01 January, 2021, 01:04:17 pm »
As ever, best wishes to all who are actively, rather than passively, participating.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 01 January, 2021, 01:30:03 pm »
As ever, best wishes to all who are actively, rather than passively, participating.

Especially for those for whom it's a BIG struggle...

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #12 on: 01 January, 2021, 01:35:33 pm »
Since getting 'crook' at the end of November,  my consumption has fallen off a cliff, last night, NYE, I had a large bottle of Leffe Brun, and a tin of Perlenbacher, ....party animal.....yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!.  So I won't commit to a dry January, knowing that it will be almost dry.

Chris S

« Reply #13 on: 01 January, 2021, 01:40:01 pm »

Especially for those for whom it's a BIG struggle...

I'm braced for some withdrawal effect this time - I've been self-medicating poor mental health for the second half of 2020, though I did manage a period of six weeks when I only drank at the weekend, back in October. My resting HR is currently about 70, whereas it should be 55, which I've found is a sure sign of a semi-permanent hangover which is guaranteed from heavy daily drinking.

I don't think it'll be bad enough to need supervision - I'm not really in that league - but I'm expecting my sleep to be royally fucked up for a week or so, and I'll likely have the munchies.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #14 on: 01 January, 2021, 01:46:36 pm »
It's going well so far. May quit while I'm ahead...

« Reply #15 on: 01 January, 2021, 02:03:34 pm »
Unusually for me, I am drinking more than usual. I bought a bottle of aldi baileys-a-like, and having learned my lesson (if I don't drink it, someone else will), I'm working my way through it at the rate of a glass a day. I might do dry February. or dry "when the niephew moves out" month.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

ElyDave

« Reply #16 on: 01 January, 2021, 02:10:30 pm »
In my case it's over-self-medicating for permanent back pain, which is not aiding my mental health, and is causing poor sleep. 

December, peversely was lower consumption than recent months due to having two whisky advent calendars, each with a single measure in them each day.  I quite happily savoured those and didn't want anything else.  My "slightly damp" january will attempt to restrict myself to weekends only and one or two drinks on those days.  I find that simply logging both how many drinks I've had and any influencing factors tends to create a moderating influence in my case.

« Reply #17 on: 01 January, 2021, 06:24:04 pm »
Been dry for just over a year, feel great, good luck to everyone doing dry January this year!

« Reply #18 on: 02 January, 2021, 06:54:41 am »
Weeks go by and I don't drink alcohol, not through any virtuous intent it's just how it is . With five kids in their twenties and thirties we usually get a bottle of wine to share over dinner. Due to Covid we've not had anyone to dinner over the festive period. Half a bottle of red wine appeared on the dining table, my Mrs found it on the worksurface  and thought I'd like it with lunch. She'd remembered using the first half in cooking around 3 weeks ago. By 13:30 New years Day it was history. So in essence my dry January lasted a morning. Until Covid relaxes its grip in society we won't be sharing meal with our kids, and for me that means no alcohol. Not bothered at all.

« Reply #19 on: 02 January, 2021, 01:52:36 pm »
At the start of the year I started buying only half bottles of wine and low or zero beer.  We then got to the stage we were drinking at least a half bottle per night between us and sometimes a whiskey as well.  When we started losing weight we stopped completely for 8 weeks and now half a half bottle 2-3 nights per week.  I enjoy the taste and do not see that this amount will cause me harm so will not go completely dry forever.
We are planning another period of 80 calories per day in january so will be dry for about 2-3 weeks.

ElyDave

« Reply #20 on: 02 January, 2021, 02:45:34 pm »
80 or 800 cal per day? :o

« Reply #21 on: 02 January, 2021, 02:47:17 pm »
It's my birthday in just over a week and then we usually enjoy a Burns Night supper on or around the 25th.  After that I will try going booze free until at least Easter.

« Reply #22 on: 02 January, 2021, 04:06:59 pm »
80 or 800 cal per day? :o
800! 80 would be seriously radical!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23 on: 02 January, 2021, 04:23:33 pm »
It's my birthday in just over a week and then we usually enjoy a Burns Night supper on or around the 25th.  After that I will try going booze free until at least Easter.

Facebook informed me of your birthday yesterday. I presume this is similar to another Facebook friend who stated dozens of their friends had birthdays yesterday...

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #24 on: 02 January, 2021, 04:26:50 pm »
I stopped with Alcohol in December 2019... it proved much easier than anticipated... In 2020 I probably had 10 units overall and to be honest I got used to alcohol free beer and I now actually prefer it... (Erdinger)...

Giving up alcohol is really not that hard