Author Topic: training tips for 600kms audax events  (Read 49812 times)

Chris S

Re: training tips for 600kms audax events
« Reply #150 on: 08 December, 2010, 07:23:20 pm »
What is a 'wee lock' and where can I buy one?

:-[

H

Leakage problems m'dear? Hmmm?

It's just an age thing. It's revenge on your kids.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #151 on: 08 December, 2010, 10:10:04 pm »
Is it the same as a stop cock?

Hmmmmmmm?

H

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #152 on: 08 December, 2010, 10:20:53 pm »
When I started audax a few years ago I used to spend a lot of time mile-watching and counting down the distance to the next control.  I realised that what I was doing was, in effect, spending most of the ride looking forward to finishing rather than enjoying the ride.  Hiding the computer behind the routesheet holder helped a bit, but the psychological breakthrough came on my first 300 when I decided that rather than thinking about the distance I would think instead about enjoying a full day out on the bike.

I have overcome my arewenearlythereyet-itis by thinking of a 200 as a day out, a 300 is a long day (dawn till dusk), 400 is a night ride - with a ride to the start and from the finish, and 600 is a weekend on the bike.  

I had real doubts about finishing the 600 as the route passed my house just after the mid-point control and I knew that I would have motivation problems leaving the house at 1am to ride another 300k.  This was where riding with a group (including clubmates who I'd ridden the other SR events with) really helped.  The first mile or so was tough, but once our group was together again I had no more doubts about finishing.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #153 on: 13 December, 2010, 11:20:45 am »
When I started audax a few years ago I used to spend a lot of time mile-watching and counting down the distance to the next control.  I realised that what I was doing was, in effect, spending most of the ride looking forward to finishing rather than enjoying the ride.  Hiding the computer behind the routesheet holder helped a bit, but the psychological breakthrough came on my first 300 when I decided that rather than thinking about the distance I would think instead about enjoying a full day out on the bike.

I regard this as an 'advanced beginner' advice. If you can ditch the km/time calculations, then you become better cyclist by attitude, I believe. I am often not able to this. But I make an effort, put the GPS to map-only and ride till the next control. It is not that easy ...
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

« Reply #154 on: 13 December, 2010, 02:17:06 pm »
I also aspire to one day being so sure of my speed that I know I won't finish out of time and don't even have to look at a clock. At this stage that zen state is some way off from my current reality!

steveindenmark

« Reply #155 on: 13 December, 2010, 04:52:02 pm »
I feel a bit of a fraud because 2011 will be my first Audax season but I am an ex marathon runner and can draw on that experience for this information.

Set off at your own pace, right from the off.

In my first marathon I set off with the pack at far too fast a pace. At 20 miles I hit "The Wall". My tanks were totally empty and I had to manage the last 6 miles on heart, mind and will power, all because I went off too quick, being caught up in the excitement.

It took weeks to recover, not just physically but also mentally.

My next 3 marathons I just enjoyed the run. Chatted to people and stopped for cups of tea. It was far more enjoyable and not that much slower than my first marathon.

This is how I will approach Audax rides. I will know what time I have to finish and try to enjoy the ride and not race it.

Steve

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #156 on: 13 December, 2010, 04:54:45 pm »
My next 3 marathons I just enjoyed the run. Chatted to people and stopped for cups of tea. It was far more enjoyable and not that much slower than my first marathon.

You'll like Audaxing. Not only does it involve regular stops for a cup of tea but you also get to have a slice of cake!

steveindenmark

« Reply #157 on: 14 December, 2010, 03:37:31 pm »

CAKE

I like it better already  :P

Steve

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #158 on: 14 December, 2010, 03:41:59 pm »
I feel a bit of a fraud because 2011 will be my first Audax season but I am an ex marathon runner and can draw on that experience for this information.

Set off at your own pace, right from the off.

In my first marathon I set off with the pack at far too fast a pace. At 20 miles I hit "The Wall". My tanks were totally empty and I had to manage the last 6 miles on heart, mind and will power, all because I went off too quick, being caught up in the excitement.

It took weeks to recover, not just physically but also mentally.

This is how I will approach Audax rides. I will know what time I have to finish and try to enjoy the ride and not race it.

Steve

:thumbsup:

H