Author Topic: Baby Pashley Sound System - Build pics  (Read 4015 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Baby Pashley Sound System - Build pics
« on: 20 August, 2008, 04:28:53 am »
So over the last couple of days I built a new sound system, this time it was a small one designed to go on the back of a Pashley upright trike. It needed to be small, lightweight, very efficient and as loud as can be. I opted for 8" versions of the speakers I use for Beatrix's top box, they handle outdoors quite well, are lightweight and go bloody loud off sod all power with 95db efficiency off 1watt. It handles 200w rms and is powered off a small 12v sealed deep cycle battery. The amp is a Vibe VP2 amp, noted for it's efficiency and built in crossovers and protection systems, so the speakers wouldn't get damaged if it was ragged. It's also trimode capable so at some point I could make an add-on unit with more power and a sub.

Anyways here are some build photos.

The bike, a Pashley trike brought off eBay for around £300.

All the bits

Two of the panels needed to be a trimmed an extra 1cm due to an error in calculation by moi, and not having a proper workshop meant improvising. Ghetto blud!

The office vacuum cleaner serving as a dust extraction unit :)

This is why I get told off at work, the dust goes everywhere!

Perfectly trimmed. Yeah baby!

Before everything is glued, I checked to see if it all fits together ok. The wood is 18mm Marine Ply, sadly B&Q didn't have 15mm in stock.

The next thing to do was to cut out the holes for the speakers. I used a company to draw the wholes on the faces before realising that the takeaway container lid from the local Lebanese place was exactly the right diameter. I have shakey hands at the best of times so routing the holes freestyle was out of the question, so I nicked a remnant of Beatrix V1 and made myself a circle jig to fit the router.

Fitted and ready to go, I was a bit nervous at this point!

Wooo it works! Bloody loud though! Thankfully I had eye and ear protection, and trust me it was needed!

Just look at that perfect, smooth circle!

The perfect fit and a beautiful speaker, almost brought a tear to my eye.

Both speakers done :) Loverly job. Time for a cuppa

The next step was to find a way to fit the base to the trike, thankfully I already had the right sized bolts and a handy strip of metal with holes! How lucky is that?!

The gluing process starts, those blue clamps were invented by God himself, what marvelous things!

Time for a little snack as the glue takes hold, mmmm shandy and chedder :)

Measure and think of ways to secure the battery.

The top is glued on.

Battery is secured and amp goes on. The amp, tweeter and fuses will live outside, covered by a polycarb sheet. This system won't be used much when it's wet.

Cabling and external struts go on.

A quick test, yup it works! I had to put a bit of extra acoustic wadding inside to get the best sound.

And there we go, it fits on nicely, works very well and the bike handles brilliantly thanks to some careful thought on placement and cog.

Afterburners FTW!

Lastly, time to set the gains using my trustly oscilloscope and measure the voltage for drops and set the amp not to push it too much.

And there you have it :)

Run time is about 2hours at the volume needed, and fecking loud it's About an hour before the voltage drops to 11.8, the amp runs down to 11v stable.

The only things left to do is get a piece of clear polycarb and bolt it on the top and to paint the whole thing, I'm thinking black.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Re: Baby Pashley Sound System - Build pics
« Reply #1 on: 20 August, 2008, 05:32:42 am »
Wow.

I've just submitted an intelligence report to the MetPolice public order unit as a result.  ;D ;D

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2 on: 20 August, 2008, 07:55:43 am »
nice one mate, looking forward to hear it in the flesh, goes looking for earplugs.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 20 August, 2008, 08:45:16 am »
That's really neat, Sam!

You're fast becoming London's portable bicycle sound system guru  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

rae

« Reply #4 on: 20 August, 2008, 09:02:42 am »
Cripes!  Doing that in the office is classic.   

<annoying PPE rant>

That vacuum cleaner is not picking up all of the dust, and you are working with ply and mdf.   FFS wear a mask - that crap getting in your lungs on a regular basis is far far worse than bus diesel

</annoying PPE rant>

Kewl.

« Reply #5 on: 20 August, 2008, 09:05:52 am »
Crafty routing too. Those one handed clamps do indeed rock don't they. If you did the circle cutting on a table with a sacrificial board underneath, your dust extractor would suck up more dust.

« Reply #6 on: 20 August, 2008, 09:10:55 am »
That is ram-packed with win, Sam - is it for the company, for CM or for something else?

And couldn't you have powered it off the Dynohub? ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 20 August, 2008, 11:59:54 am »
Nice nice nice!  Looking forward to the unveiling.
Getting there...

« Reply #8 on: 20 August, 2008, 12:05:09 pm »
Fantastic Sam!

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #9 on: 20 August, 2008, 12:09:48 pm »
The vacuum cleaner does a pick up a lot unfortunately he's not as sucky as Henry who could do a clean route. But this unit does have a loadsa filters and does take out all the airbourne stuff, just not the bigger stuff vs gravity. Even so I played it safe and wore a mask :) I've worked with MDF enough to know the risk is real.

I've decided to trim it in vinyl, either in black or a royal blue to suit the frame, should give it that nice retro look :)

I realised that I had a gap in the range between Dirty Sanchez and Annecca (the wheely case sound system). My next build is hopefully going to be a tiny ultra lightweight fibreglass and carbon fibre install for the sports rack of the trike running off li-on and assisted by dynamo. Unfortunately dynamo's don't generate enough power for something like this.

I am 90% happy with it, I should have really gone for a ported design but a size constraint and the look put me off it.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #10 on: 20 August, 2008, 01:16:30 pm »
Sam, dear boy - you are a Grade A Certifiable Loon!  Well done!   :thumbsup: ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #11 on: 20 August, 2008, 08:21:31 pm »
Riding a Pashley trike is a feat in itself.  Trying to corner on ours faster than a few mph results in alarming tippiness - quite unlike my big wheeled trike.

Maybe I need a megawatt sound system to keep the rear axle down!

« Reply #12 on: 25 August, 2008, 10:17:11 pm »
Wow.

I've just submitted an intelligence report to the MetPolice public order unit as a result.  ;D ;D

Could make comments about Met Police and Intelligence - but that would be uncalled for! ;)