Author Topic: Which linux comes with the software for a builtin webcam on USB  (Read 1605 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Looking for a linux ditro that includes the webcam drivers on the USB test install.  Have a toshiba laptop that no longers sees the webcam after the last windows update.  The camera is no longer in the device manager.  Was thinking to check that the webcam is still working by installing a usb linux distro to test the webcam to be sure the cam has failed or the software.

Any ideas?

Re: Which linux comes with the software for a builtin webcam on USB
« Reply #1 on: 25 March, 2020, 07:46:41 pm »
When you run Linux from live USB, you can download drivers. Any changes you make will be saved if you set "persistent memory" when you create the live USB drive.

In theory!

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2 on: 25 March, 2020, 07:52:19 pm »
My crappy old webcam works with ubuntu and an app called Cheese.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #3 on: 25 March, 2020, 10:15:36 pm »
When you run Linux from live USB, you can download drivers. Any changes you make will be saved if you set "persistent memory" when you create the live USB drive.

In theory!

How can I set that up so it just works. Can I add drivers usb live running version of  linux as I cant see how to do that with mint.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 25 March, 2020, 10:40:46 pm »
If it is a standard USB webcam, think it should work with built in drivers on Linux.
Try lsusb and see if that lists anything relevant.

fswebcam can be useful for testing webcams. It is a pretty simple command line tool. It has a few options, ie make sure it is using the right device, and can specify the resolution.
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/eoan/en/man1/fswebcam.1.html
Should be able to install it from whatever package manager you have.

« Reply #5 on: 25 March, 2020, 10:57:52 pm »

In theory!

How can I set that up so it just works. Can I add drivers usb live running version of  linux as I cant see how to do that with mint.

I think you can download and install drivers but they won't be saved to the drive permanently.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/create-a-persistent-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive/
There are a few limitations. You can’t modify system files, like the kernel. You can’t perform major system upgrades. You also can’t install hardware drivers. However, you can install most applications. You can even update most installed applications, so you can be sure your persistent USB drive has the latest version of the web browser you prefer.

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/what-is-persistent-linux/
Some changes are not saved persistently – In some cases, further modification is required to enable things like graphical card settings and network card settings to be saved. In some cases, system wide updates do not work.

« Reply #6 on: 26 March, 2020, 08:34:53 am »
I would try Ubuntu live 19.10 from USB first. It was released in October so pretty up to date. It will probably just work but give it a go and see you have nothing to lose bar ten minutes downloading and flashing it to USB.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #7 on: 26 March, 2020, 11:53:30 am »
Thank you all, I downloaded mint first for no other reason than I have used mint for other machines.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 26 March, 2020, 12:15:28 pm »
I have a Toshiba Z30 with Ubuntu 18 LTS and the webcam works fine

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #9 on: 26 March, 2020, 08:39:13 pm »
Thanks all.

Got a copy of ubuntu and it comes with cheese, but cheese say camera not connected.  So suspect the camera is dead.  Looked on the motherboard and everything is connected.  So will take the bevel off the screen and see if the camera has become disconnect or failed.

« Reply #10 on: 26 March, 2020, 09:37:11 pm »
I've had some trouble with WebCam & Ubuntu.  19.10 won't recognise Logitech camera, was about to junk it (the camera) but tried with  Ubuntu daily build 20.04 on which it worked with Cheese.

However on today's 20.04 build it doesn't work. (Cheese says Camera not connected).   I have not put any effort into chasing this down. I will after 20.04 LTS is released.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 27 March, 2020, 12:45:31 am »
I'd start with the basics:  Does the camera appear in the output of lsusb?  If not, then drivers aren't going to help you.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #12 on: 27 March, 2020, 12:27:05 pm »
I'd start with the basics:  Does the camera appear in the output of lsusb?  If not, then drivers aren't going to help you.

Would the camera be listed under the usb if it a built in laptop camera?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 27 March, 2020, 12:37:53 pm »
Probably.  Might be worth trying lspci too though.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #14 on: 07 April, 2020, 07:53:30 pm »
Sorry to takes ages to reply but keep getting side tracked:

« Reply #15 on: 08 April, 2020, 07:07:30 pm »
That doesn't show very much. Try looking at dmesg, i.e.

sudo dmesg

or perhaps just look at the usb stuff:

sudo dmesg | grep -i usb