Author Topic: Making your own bike shed  (Read 860 times)

Making your own bike shed
« on: 31 March, 2024, 01:12:27 pm »
Starting for a skill level of "can use a screwdriver".

I want a bike shed for front of house to store my catrike, as I am unlikely to ride it if I have to carry it through the house.

As it's a recumbent it doesn't need to be a high shed but it needs to be longer.  Most sheds on the market are unnecessarily tall (tiger pent is 1.7m!) on the short side (2.1 m would do, but a Lille extra length would mean I wouldn't need to reset the boom every ride) and ideally it would open at one end, not at the side.
With quoted prices ranging from £200 (for a metal frame, no attachment to the ground) to £800 (Asgard 29er.shed) and nothing a perfect fit, how hard would it be to make something myself?

I was thinking a wood structure mostly to keep out the elements, and then a ground anchor and lockon bike for security.   
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Re: Making your own bike shed
« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2024, 07:40:08 pm »
Yeah,we know them, part of the tern massive.
As it would be the side.of a bin tidy and not bvt I am not worried (and it would not be the first, second or third bike shed on our street)
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Re: Making your own bike shed
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 07:58:09 pm »
During COVID I built a bin store on my driveway.  It's big enough for two bikes or three bins.  During COVID timber was scarce and having to use what was available affected the design,  but it wasn't too hard.  I should have incorporated an easy way of adapting it to stand on uneven ground, seems my drive isn't as level as I thought!  Whatever it cost then, it'll be more now.
Move Faster and Bake Things