Author Topic: 'flu jab'  (Read 35807 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: 'flu jab'
« Reply #75 on: 04 November, 2013, 08:52:35 pm »
I don't bother with the flu jag. I react badly to intramuscular injections - the muscle swells up to two or three times its size and visibly throbs and is very painful for a couple of days. It's happened on both occasions I had the flu jag, and it happened with all my Hep B jags. I don't seem to be prone to catching flu, and as there's no guarantee that the strains of flu going around will be the ones the vaccine protects against, I'd rather take my chances than have the definite pain of the reaction to the jag.
I decided I'd give it a go this year, and see if I've grown out of the bad reactions. I had it on Friday morning, arm was fine until yesterday morning. Swollen, hard, red, and so sore I can't lie on it.  ::-)
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Ruth

« Reply #76 on: 04 November, 2013, 08:54:39 pm »
This year's was a lot less painful than last year's.

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #77 on: 13 November, 2013, 08:53:44 pm »
Had mine six days ago; no adverse effects at all ... which is usually the case for me based on flu jabs for the last seven years or so. Last year's minor reaction seems to have been the exception.
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

simonp

« Reply #78 on: 14 November, 2013, 11:07:24 am »
Just had mine.

Main advantage is getting to suck a lolly.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #79 on: 28 November, 2013, 02:16:02 pm »

I decided I'd give it a go this year, and see if I've grown out of the bad reactions. I had it on Friday morning, arm was fine until yesterday morning. Swollen, hard, red, and so sore I can't lie on it.  ::-)
Redness took several days to go away, swelling developed into a hard lump roughly the same size and shape as an egg, that remained for about 10 days. Left upper arm remains constantly achey, with pain right in the shoulder joint and sometimes in the elbow, especially when weightbearing through the arm. Rest and NSAIDS haven't helped.

« Reply #80 on: 29 November, 2013, 10:37:20 pm »
pain right in the shoulder joint

I've had that too and was wondering where it came from and whether I'd pulled something. I hadn't linked it with the flu jab because I'd forgotten about it. Didn't get any of the other nasty stuff you mention though; that's very unfortunate.

« Reply #81 on: 06 December, 2013, 04:32:56 pm »
Never had one before but the nurse doing our company today had a spare (no-show I guess)..that was about 90 mins ago, so I'll be curious as to what the effect is.

Only reason I bothered this year was I suspect my 89yr old mother might have missed hers earlier in the week due to a hospital stay..

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #82 on: 11 December, 2013, 12:51:42 pm »
Pain continuing in the muscle, shoulder and elbow joints, almost 6 weeks after having the jag. I have a GP appointment for later today.

« Reply #83 on: 11 December, 2013, 10:05:24 pm »
Jab at Eastbourne Asda by the same chap who did it last year, very deft and hardly felt a thing. Slight soreness yesterday and fine today. I've had flu once and it's really horrendous, two weeks of living on orange barley water and toast and three months to recover to anything like normal. Never again if I can possibly avoid it!
Reine de la Fauche

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #84 on: 11 December, 2013, 10:25:25 pm »
Pain continuing in the muscle, shoulder and elbow joints, almost 6 weeks after having the jag. I have a GP appointment for later today.
GP thinks it was a haematoma in the muscle which is taking a while to resolve. If it's still as bad in a couple of weeks, I'm to make an appointment with the nurse for bloods.

« Reply #85 on: 11 December, 2013, 10:33:45 pm »
Hmmm, I really ought to what with having asthma and all. But interestingly haven't had a reminder from the Dr's surgery this year, do we think they've given up due to me not bothering the past several times they've suggested it?

Which reminds me, they haven't mentioned an asthma review for a while, for the same reason I expect.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #86 on: 12 December, 2013, 10:01:46 am »
If you ring up, the nurse is likely to be happy to see you.
Getting there...

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #87 on: 13 December, 2013, 12:16:33 am »
Had mine last week and have ad a Mild dose of Flu' for the past three days! General nausea and stuff. Nursey says it's nothing to worry about as long as it clears in a week or so. I HATE VACCINATIONS!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #88 on: 13 December, 2013, 09:26:49 am »
Had mine a week or two back and forgot about it same day.  Our doc is so skilled at planting the needle I didn't even feel it. No after-effects.  Have had it for the last 20 years, never anything more than mild discomfort.

GP thinks it was a haematoma in the muscle which is taking a while to resolve. If it's still as bad in a couple of weeks, I'm to make an appointment with the nurse for bloods.

Yeah, that's what I thought when I read your first message just now.  Happened to me a few years ago when a butthole neurologist managed to stick a minor artery in my calf.  Couldn't walk for a month and took two months to go away.  Not a word of apology either. Felt really wonderful at the beginning of the season.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #89 on: 03 February, 2014, 09:42:11 pm »
Pain continues unabated. Worse after exercise, particularly weight-bearing, but even the weight-bearing of opening a door aggravates it. Slightly better if I rest the arm for days on end, but never clears up entirely. Phoned physio at the beginning of January, spoke to one of their call people, got taken through an alogorithm designed to weed out DVT, cancer and MS, then given a sheet of exercises to do. Exercises haven't helped, now on the waiting list for an actual physio, and getting bloods taken next week.

Pain is in the shoulder and elbow joints, and the upper arm muscle.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #90 on: 04 February, 2014, 12:45:30 am »
I had mine this morning.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #91 on: 21 February, 2014, 01:05:28 pm »
Full blood count normal, rheumatology test not back yet.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #92 on: 25 February, 2014, 01:23:28 pm »
Rheumatology fine, immunology not yet checked by GP, phone tomorrow.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #93 on: 26 February, 2014, 01:00:47 pm »
Immunology fine. So why is my arm still sore?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #94 on: 26 February, 2014, 01:16:38 pm »
That's very puzzling.  And annoying.  Hope it resolves soon.
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #95 on: 09 March, 2014, 11:33:05 am »
Saw the physio on Friday. He is bewildered. Gave me some exercises, stretches and a theraband, and I'm going back in a month.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #96 on: 09 March, 2014, 12:11:20 pm »
Hope your arm settles.
I'm having my 'flu jab tomorrow. Surgery phoned out of the blue with an offer I'll accept.

Sometimes the NHS puzzles me!

« Reply #97 on: 09 March, 2014, 01:40:35 pm »
They  have a  target- they need  you to be jabbed so they can  fill it. It is , perhaps, a bit late though.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #98 on: 09 March, 2014, 01:57:05 pm »
Either a target or left-over vaccine in the 'fridge or both.

As a housebound crip without asthma, heart disease, diabetes, lung disease or occupational exposure (any more) to the Snotty Masses, I don't really think I need it.

My minimally asthmatic partner, who will encounter hordes of General Public in the cold and dark tonight, might benefit more.

They have not offered the jab to him.

Yet.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #99 on: 09 March, 2014, 03:16:42 pm »
Arguably the MS makes a major risk factor cos if you got respiratory badness you might go down quicker?  Also the treatment for MS? 

I know wheelchair users as a "group" at more at risk for badness with respiratory stuff alongside kidney infection nastiness which is why I always advise young folk in this group not to take any chances with either or any kind of lurg and get themselves to a GP sooner than a non-disabled person might and not to feel pressured to "wait".

Saying that, I ought to have the bloody flu jab for ENT-fail reasons but I don't fit a nice group and my lovely GP (ex ENT registrar) isn't very good with the stupid computer so I don't get one. I keep failing to get round to asking a GP to write me up when I see them.