Author Topic: 2018 North Yorkshire Brevets Unpopulaire  (Read 25821 times)

Re: 2018 North Yorkshire Brevets Unpopulaire
« Reply #100 on: 20 April, 2018, 10:35:33 am »
Phanta and Dale, I can offer a spare bedroom in York (and a sofa for the other of you) if you want to stay Friday night before heading up on an early train?  I'm ten minutes from the station and we'd need to get the 0635 or similar.
I could be up for that (assuming you now don't want to camp the night before?). Makes it easier for me to get home in time for work too as I won't be lugging camping kit about.

If I have gears, the 150km ride is tempting me, easily* enough time to get back to Northallerton station by 7pm.

* - Right?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #101 on: 20 April, 2018, 09:10:58 pm »
I was thinking about camping the night before to give myself an extra hour in bed, but am happy to be of service if it means you don't have to lug a tent down and back.

« Reply #102 on: 22 April, 2018, 01:10:56 pm »
Hi Deano, I'm currently feeling that DNS may be  a sensible option given my experience of riding 50 and 40 this weekend. Total lack of training is not a great start.

If foolishness gets the better part of sense then I'l let you know.

Hope the weather and hills are great.

Mike

« Reply #103 on: 22 April, 2018, 04:05:07 pm »
It's up to you, Mike - I've a few spare cards for DKttR if you fancy swapping instead.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #104 on: 22 April, 2018, 04:24:39 pm »
So whats the verdict Deano?  Any of the hills been nicked?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #105 on: 22 April, 2018, 04:45:19 pm »
We test-rode MGF yesterday, and it's quite a ride.

Even with the Incline and the run-up to Danby Beacon, it feels like quite a benign run to Lealholm. But re-crossing Eskdale, Great Fryupdale, Little Fryupdale, Farndale, Bransdale, Bilsdale and Ryedale on the way back is quite tough. I might have missed out a valley or two, but the nature of the ride is climbing, descending (there are lots of fine descents), climbing again, and while climbing, looking across the valley to see the track or road you just came down.

Hopefully the weather isn't too warm for you lot next weekend. I'll be sending out the final details for MGF tomorrow, once I've added a couple of updates to the ride info.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1523346667

« Reply #106 on: 22 April, 2018, 05:27:12 pm »
It's up to you, Mike - I've a few spare cards for DKttR if you fancy swapping instead.

Oh, that sounds more doable, perhaps.

I’ll pm on Thursday or Friday when I know how the week’s gone. No need to rush round eh!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #107 on: 22 April, 2018, 06:32:54 pm »
We test-rode MGF yesterday, and it's quite a ride.

Even with the Incline and the run-up to Danby Beacon, it feels like quite a benign run to Lealholm. But re-crossing Eskdale, Great Fryupdale, Little Fryupdale, Farndale, Bransdale, Bilsdale and Ryedale on the way back is quite tough. I might have missed out a valley or two, but the nature of the ride is climbing, descending (there are lots of fine descents), climbing again, and while climbing, looking across the valley to see the track or road you just came down.

Hopefully the weather isn't too warm for you lot next weekend. I'll be sending out the final details for MGF tomorrow, once I've added a couple of updates to the ride info.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1523346667
Looks fantastic, ACME entry will follow during the week :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #108 on: 22 April, 2018, 09:58:37 pm »
Looks fantastic, ACME entry will follow during the week :)
[/quote]

I've one entry from $town, Essex just now. Someone's keen!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #109 on: 22 April, 2018, 10:10:43 pm »
Not me but suspect he might be in my car on the way up... :Thumbs up:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #110 on: 23 April, 2018, 06:59:56 am »
That’d be me  :)

I enjoyed hearing about Oscar’s Dad’s experience last year, so when the opportunity to drive up with jiberjaber came along it was a no brainier. It’ll be new terrain for me, and I like the off-road format, getting a few climbs in, and hopefully enjoy some great views.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #111 on: 23 April, 2018, 10:16:12 pm »
Thanks, chaps, I've got your entries, and I've emailed all the info to everyone who's entered. I still have a few spare cards for all three rides, if anyone is dithering. I might have to close entries on Wednesday, cos that's when we're ordering food.

I forgot to include my favourite photo from Saturday - farewell to the hills, and all downhill* to the finish from here. Don't forget to give a look back occasionally when you're riding, otherwise you could miss all this:

*excepting railway bridges and other bumps.

« Reply #112 on: 25 April, 2018, 05:04:55 pm »
My bike preparation for the MGF is nearly complete. After weeks of trying to get WTB Resolute tyres to fit, i’ve given up trying. Eventually the front one went on, but no techniques or special tools will persuade the rear one to go on. I’m now going with a set of Continental Mountain King tyres ... at least the name suggest they’ll be in the appropriate terrain on Saturday.

Last thing I’ve still to do is fit a smaller chainring. I get the impression that one or two hills may be steep.

I’m looking forward to my pint at the Lion Inn, and some challenging riding. See you all on Saturday.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #113 on: 25 April, 2018, 05:14:28 pm »
I finally got round to entering Moor Gravel Forever. Don’t yet have a bike to ride it on though.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #114 on: 25 April, 2018, 05:15:27 pm »
My bike preparation for the MGF is nearly complete. After weeks of trying to get WTB Resolute tyres to fit, i’ve given up trying. Eventually the front one went on, but no techniques or special tools will persuade the rear one to go on. I’m now going with a set of Continental Mountain King tyres ... at least the name suggest they’ll be in the appropriate terrain on Saturday.

Last thing I’ve still to do is fit a smaller chainring. I get the impression that one or two hills may be steep.

I’m looking forward to my pint at the Lion Inn, and some challenging riding. See you all on Saturday.

"If we are lucky we'll get snowed in the Lion Inn" - what most people from the Boro dream of even when it's the middle of summer LOL - I've never been so lucky however...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #115 on: 25 April, 2018, 10:50:44 pm »
I finally got round to entering Moor Gravel Forever. Don’t yet have a bike to ride it on though.

Dale The Focus CX bike in the pictures is for sale and it already knows its way around that lovely loop

Rich...

« Reply #116 on: 25 April, 2018, 11:10:09 pm »

Wanna borrow my Giant? You'll have to fetch a bike I can ride on Saturday when I'm out photographing you lot, though...

« Reply #117 on: 26 April, 2018, 06:56:28 am »
Dale The Focus CX bike in the pictures is for sale and it already knows its way around that lovely loop

Rich...

Wanna borrow my Giant? You'll have to fetch a bike I can ride on Saturday when I'm out photographing you lot, though...

Ha, cheers gents but all things going to plan I should have a bike ready in time, just waiting on the postman.

« Reply #118 on: 26 April, 2018, 09:18:23 pm »
I'm impressed you went out and got a whole new bike for this ride.

Mind you, we've been telling Paul at the LBS to fetch a stand of suitable bikes to the finish.

« Reply #119 on: 26 April, 2018, 09:51:50 pm »
I'm impressed you went out and got a whole new bike for this ride.

Mind you, we've been telling Paul at the LBS to fetch a stand of suitable bikes to the finish.
You'll have seen all the bits before, just spread out over several bikes.  ;D

Tyres are new mind; Panaracer Gravelking SKs. Fingers crossed for no punctures as they are 'orrible to get on and off.

Should be a laugh.

« Reply #120 on: 27 April, 2018, 12:10:15 am »
Have a great time, everyone!

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #121 on: 27 April, 2018, 06:40:11 pm »
If anyone is camping and wondering if it was the wrong move you could try your luck calling the South Otterington caravan site. There are 5 wooden pods and only one is occupied so far.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #122 on: 27 April, 2018, 07:04:50 pm »
G-Ones or full-on CX tyres: how muddy is it likely to be underwheel?

« Reply #123 on: 27 April, 2018, 07:14:50 pm »
If anyone is camping and wondering if it was the wrong move you could try your luck calling the South Otterington caravan site. There are 5 wooden pods and only one is occupied so far.

It's fairing up. We're having a drink at the Shorthorn.

Chris S

« Reply #124 on: 27 April, 2018, 07:24:28 pm »
G-Ones or full-on CX tyres: how muddy is it likely to be underwheel?

It was much drier on the tops last weekend than recently, but there has been a bit of rain since. The low-ground tracks are probably muddier, but there's not too much of that as I recall. Round here, the forest tracks are just about perfect.

ETA: There is a great deal of Baking going on in the kitchen. I've been fettling. I think my rear hub is on its way out. Oh well, if my bike breaks I'll blag a croggie off fboab.