Author Topic: The Woodman and The Woodman's Daughter 100/50km, Saturday 14th April 2018  (Read 9892 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Woodman route checked last Saturday with Huggy and Grey Sheep; revised details sent out, AUKweb updated too. Been round the off-road route of the 'Daughter' this morning, mailing revised route sheets this evening. [In the rain, on the touring bike - had to walk a couple of bits, briefly, but mostly perfectly rideable on road tyres. On Saturday you might notice a few furrows where I struggled for traction on the grassy rides through the forest...]

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
How were the offroad sections on the Woodman? Passable on a recumbent?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
How were the offroad sections on the Woodman? Passable on a recumbent?

I'd say yes - Grey Sheep was on 23/25mm tyres on his Ribble; I was on 28mm Conti 4 Seasons, fixed too. Both secteurs are tarmacked - the first to Matching is fine, just a bit of grit and the odd home-made speed bump on the farm road. The Paslow Hall track near High Ongar is much the same, just some mud and farmyard muck over a good solid surface in the odd spot & one rutted patch easily avoided. You'll need to dismount for the gate into the old stable-yard, it's a very Heath Robinson affair!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
So I'm in for teh 100 with an ECE..... plus another recruit for his second 100km audax...  :facepalm:

Looking forward to finishing my ECE with a beer!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Sorry to be a wussss but is there any parking at St Marys centre or should i look elsewhere?
Alan

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
Sorry to be a wussss but is there any parking at St Marys centre or should i look elsewhere?
Alan

Parking is usually available at St Marys, considerate parking requested, usually some marshals to help arrange cars and might be subject to any other local events on the day - so defer to Tomsk for confirmation.

Alternative parking at the recreation park just a short ride up the road from St Marys.

Both locations highlighted in the attached picture: (St Marys at top, Rec at bottom of pic)

Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
Alan

Park Run in the Rec on Saturday! Godfrey Way, off The Causeway, or The Maltings nearer the town might be better!

rob

Park Run in the Rec on Saturday!

Is that new ?   I had to drive Mrs Rob to Bishops Stortford last time we were up that way on a Saturday morning.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
^ Yes! Mrs Tomsk may be involved...

Phil W

Will be ECEing on road bike.  First time I have ridden road bike in some time.  Balance felt really weird and felt high up today. What could possibly go wrong?  Will do another ride on it tomorrow to get reused to the handling.  Will dig out some padded cycle shorts for Sat, that will be a novelty.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
Will be ECEing on road bike.  First time I have ridden road bike in some time.  Balance felt really weird and felt high up today. What could possibly go wrong?  Will do another ride on it tomorrow to get reused to the handling.  Will dig out some padded cycle shorts for Sat, that will be a novelty.
Watch you don't get a nose bleed at that height
Regards,

Joergen

Phil W

I have fitted the oxygen tanks to compensate for the thinner air at altitude.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583

I have fitted the oxygen tanks

And a pulley system to get up and down from the saddle?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Will be ECEing on road bike.

Welcome back to the light side

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
...And still entries keep coming in - the weather forecast must be something to do with it!

Anyone not been contacted, I apologise. There's been the usual paypal/AUkweb glitches [someone entered 5 times, others have emailed to say are they on the ride?], also duff email addresses, hey ho...

Just to re-iterate here, there WILL be pressure on car parking, due to the first Dunmow Parkrun taking place in the Rec - hope my 6'8" marshall will keep runners out of the church car park  ;D

Parkrun are advising not to park in the Pavilion car park, but use the pay-and-display ones in town or the Leisure Centre. The Town Council, in their wisdom, have refused permission to use the Rec itself, as they usually do for the carnival and other such events, but then the ground is very soft - they could make a packet, charging for towing cars out though  ;D

Whatever you do, avoid The Causeway - footballers cars parked there get done for obstruction.

Phil W

ECE submitted. Went old school as it only required one intermediate control to bring it up to minimum distance. Thus free to choose roads as long as I pass through the intermediate place.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
Just to re-iterate here, there WILL be pressure on car parking, due to the first Dunmow Parkrun taking place in the Rec - hope my 6'8" marshall will keep runners out of the church car park  ;D

Anyone's welcome to park outside my house and cycle to the start — it's only just around the corner  :demon:

Which reminds me, I must sort my ECE out ...
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

stefan

• aka martin
Anyone's welcome to park outside my house and cycle to the start — it's only just around the corner  :demon:

Excellent suggestion! :thumbsup:

I have to detour via Barrington as a couple of people joining me there for the ride in, but hope to see you en route!
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

Didn’t realise we could still do ECE old school. I’ve been doing the mandatory gpx file since the advent of the button on the event page. It’s my usual A507 to Buntingford (42 miles) then two options, one via Gt Easton making 64 miles, the other via the B road alongside the A120 (I know the Woodman is also using it) making 65 miles but 100 ft less climbing. The return would be the same to avoid sending in two files (unless the not so Big Saxon rides again),
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Phil W

Didn’t realise we could still do ECE old school. I’ve been doing the mandatory gpx file since the advent of the button on the event page. It’s my usual A507 to Buntingford (42 miles) then two options, one via Gt Easton making 64 miles, the other via the B road alongside the A120 (I know the Woodman is also using it) making 65 miles but 100 ft less climbing. The return would be the same to avoid sending in two files (unless the not so Big Saxon rides again),

Just do not send in a GPX file with the entry (file upload is optional) then list intermediate controls in the notes as per text on the page.

Phil W

Just noticed the Woodman's Daughter goes through Hatfield Forest. What is the surface like (looked on OS mapping and it is not a bridleway) as my ECE will be swinging round the outside on roads?  If it is still reasonably fast surfaces might use the Hatfield Forest tracks instead either inbound, outbound or both. Now the advantage of an advisory ECE comes to the fore!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels

Excellent suggestion! :thumbsup:

I have to detour via Barrington as a couple of people joining me there for the ride in, but hope to see you en route!

I was about to email you to ask what route you were taking.  I'm thinking I'll take the Newport route, as the B184 will likely be busier at the later time afforded by the late start.  I'm guessing you'll join the B1383 somewhere around Duxford?  I'll keep an eye out for you all  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

stefan

• aka martin
I was about to email you to ask what route you were taking.  I'm thinking I'll take the Newport route, as the B184 will likely be busier at the later time afforded by the late start.  I'm guessing you'll join the B1383 somewhere around Duxford?  I'll keep an eye out for you all  :thumbsup:

Excellent, we'll look out for you! I guess you will be on fixed? I won't be riding fixed tomorrow - Double Dutch was fine but I suspect 200k is about my limit so I want to try this one on a geared bike with a view to deciding what to take on longer rides.

Regarding route - yes we are going via Newport. We'll take the direct route from Barrington via Catmere End and drop down to join the B1383 near Audley End. We'll be taking a relaxed pace and if on schedule I expect we'll get to the B1383 a little before 8.30. Hope to see you on the way.
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Have a great time everyone tomorrow. Sounds like a good ride and I am sorry to be missing it. Have family arriving to stay though so can't get out and back in time.

About to (yawn) leave on hardly any sleep (again).
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!