Author Topic: Heart of England 300, Sat 23rd April  (Read 15783 times)

Re: Heart of England 300, Sat 21st April
« Reply #50 on: 22 April, 2018, 02:15:46 pm »
With lightning every couple of seconds it was certainly a spectacular storm. I was riding along enjoying the light show to my left, watching it come closer and closer. Unfortunately 3km from the arrivee it came rather too close, and the only sensible option was to dash into the nearby pub and sit it out. So I managed to miss the worst before riding the last bit in comparative dryness. I can only sympathise with those it hit without any shelter in sight.

Ben T

« Reply #51 on: 22 April, 2018, 03:50:55 pm »
Good ride. :)
Controls were good. Well spaced, and quick, they had obviously been well primed and used to catering for the event. Ordered a cottage pie at daventry and it was the most lasagne-y cottage pie I've ever seen but wasn't complaining.
Pie and pint in the sunshine at sturdy's castle inn was enjoyable and came with a huge amount of two different types of mash to fuel the last leg.
Got caught in a torrential downpour just after RAF brize norton but the spectacle of the lightning was worth it.
Back at cirencester for just after 10. Nice to have a ride that's only 2 minutes from the premier inn as well.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #52 on: 22 April, 2018, 04:02:56 pm »
My only doubt about the route is whether the A road from Woodstock to Witney is really necessary... it is probably OK for the full valuers, but I was on it around 5 PM and the traffic was pretty bad, with cars passing at 60 mph +... the cycle path is patchy, which means it's pointless to use it

From the last control, it would make sense to head to Wootton, Charlbury, Burford, Alsworth, Bibury via B and unclassified roads

« Reply #53 on: 22 April, 2018, 04:57:54 pm »
It's a big wide main road and it's fast to ride on. I don't normally like A roads so I know what you mean....but I had no trouble yesterday.

Nearly got taken out on a narrow rural road by an absolute maniac in a green farm ATV

« Reply #54 on: 22 April, 2018, 08:00:28 pm »
Spoke to a young lady working at the Winnies cafe, who turned out to have seen 12 runnings of this event! Knew exactly what we needed and produced beans on toast in what seemed like 2 mins ! All they need is a real coffee machine and somewhere to park bikes now 😁

« Reply #55 on: 22 April, 2018, 08:38:15 pm »
It wasn't long after leaving Sturdey's Castle - the cloying yumminess of an late-evening treacle pudding and custard still playing with my palette, that I commented upon the fine evening light and scoffed at a passing suggestion that rain might be on the way - than a theatrical light display played out across a pitch black horizon in what appeared to be the location of Brize Norton and the route back to Cirencester. Maybe this is just a bombing raid on the airbase, I mused to myself, and not the early flurries of a violent thunderstorm. But as we progressed through Bladon and the road to Witney talking about DIY wheelbuilding, it became clear that it was indeed the latter. The two chaps I was cycling with pulled over (perhaps to discuss strategy for the remainder of the ride), but I pressed on determined to get, for once, a sub-midnight finish for a 300. But then I saw further flashes lighting up an ink black wall of cloud followed by a disturbing boom which caught me srurrying for a conveniently sheltering doorway. I had, after all, cycled through a storm before - https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=100317.msg2173197#msg2173197.

The light show was impressive, but never getting too close. Every ten minutes or so a brave soul went by furtively on a bike. After about 45 mins I was about to head out of my cover when the rain began. Nothing too heavy, but with the rain came the wind and it was noticeably cooler. Further cyclists, now armed stoically with waterproofs and steely determination passed by. I stayed put. Finally the rain abated and a security person appeared sounding a little too chummy for my liking. He gave me that, go-on-and-pull-the-other-one look as I explained where I'd cycled during the course of the day, and where I was now bound (it had been a delicious ride, I hasten to add - delirious Merry England views, weather that wouldn't be out of place in Tuscany, and food stops that never knowingly go underserved. From watching the husky red sphere peep over the Eastern vales as we ascended Whiteway, to the same orb disappearing behind a granite rockface of cloud, it had been so glorious.

And now with new tree buds dripping and the roads noticeably quieter I paced on dodging puddles, around the still extant airfield (which was a relief) and out into the lanes. I passed the first chap shortly after this point, then two more (the one in front without an active rear light), then at least three chaps mettling a broken chain. I was flying along the lanes now. Couldn't really see the road very well but staying somewhere around the middle to avoid the large puddles. O, and then the flooded road around a sudden bend. And then two more, steadily going towards our destination. And then the main road, and then the lights of Cirencester, and then the very welcome, welcome.

To sum up, a wonderful day in the saddle and met a great cross-section of the AUK community, including many on fixies and Van Morrison titaniums. Even some steel. Even a Flying Gate. Was that really a Brompton? It must have rained heavily again overnight as the roads were seriously bepuddled in the early hours as I drove back east. I wonder if that chap made it back to Coventry to make it up to a 400? I hope so. I hope all made it safely home.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #56 on: 22 April, 2018, 09:19:05 pm »
I took shelter from the storm, for about 30 minutes, in the 'Swan' at Southrop - the only pub for miles around, so I timed it right - the lightning was very lively and extremely close! As I sat by the window with my pint I saw a lot of riders go by - rather them than me, I'm not that brave!

Great route. Some familiar roads, but a lot new to me. Creaking bottom bracket mysteriously stopped this morning, shades of the last LEL - time for a new one, again?

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #57 on: 22 April, 2018, 11:28:56 pm »
... then two more (the one in front without an active rear light), ...
apart from the 'chap' bit could've been me (I am NOT a chap, guy, etc).  My rear light had acquired the interesting feature of turning off or on with each successive pothole/change of tarmac/whatever.  In spite of stuffing in a wodge of padding to keep the batteries in place.  Why DO lights get designed where the batteries can be jolted out of their housing?  I have another one with exactly the same feature.

That aside, a nice gambol through middle england once I'd winched myself out of Compton Abdale (and later on, Daventry).  Fantastic views at times eg from round Broadway Tower, much improved on my visit the previous week when I got nothing but low cloud and mist for my efforts (work/leisure outing).
I didn't find the rain particularly bad, tbh.

Having none whatsoever, am I allowed to comment that I found there to be too much about 'speed' upthread?  What was it someone once said:  sportives = people pretending to race.  audax =  pepople pretending not to race.  I fear that particular hat may be shrinking to fit?
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #58 on: 23 April, 2018, 05:51:31 am »
Are you allowed to make that comment? Well, yes, as long as you can also accept that other people can ride in whatever manner they want. In which case, no.  ;)

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #59 on: 23 April, 2018, 10:56:12 am »
... then two more (the one in front without an active rear light), ...
apart from the 'chap' bit could've been me (I am NOT a chap, guy, etc).  My rear light had acquired the interesting feature of turning off or on with each successive pothole/change of tarmac/whatever. 

I was the other half of that Jack Spratt double act, having no working front light after my dynamo decided to pack up shortly after leaving Sturdy's Castle. Beginning to think I'm jinxed as both my primary & spare lights failed on Sam Weller's in Feb. Thanks for the illumination (&company) on last leg into Cirencester. BTW - here's that photo I took of you descending into the Cherwell Valley.

arabella

• عربللا
« Reply #60 on: 23 April, 2018, 12:53:08 pm »
Likewise
:( photo not visible my end (possibly firewall related).
I'll pm you an email address.

Couldn't compute this last bit:
In which case, no.  ;)
You can indeed ride in whatever manner you want (even dressed as a banana etc).  My point was that we are straying from
- 'I finished by x o'clock' or even 'I finished in y hours' to
- 'I cycled this audax at z kmph/mph'
I may of course merely be in tetchy mode due to non-cycling-related events, or this may have crept in aeons ago on rides I didn't do so didn't read about.  Or possibly it's now de rigeur to include a mention of how fast we cycled, I missed that memo.   ::-)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #61 on: 23 April, 2018, 12:59:29 pm »

You can indeed ride in whatever manner you want (even dressed as a banana etc).  My point was that we are straying from

Two reasons:

1) I think it was merely  a case of working out who is who... if I say I finished just before 7PM, maybe someone makes a connection between my jersey and my ID on here...

2) I don't think anyone is here to boast about how fast they go around a course, but it's useful to know if there are like minded people who might be willing to share some of the road and tend to go around in similar times...

« Reply #62 on: 23 April, 2018, 01:35:23 pm »
My point was that we are straying from
I may of course merely be in tetchy mode due to non-cycling-related events, or this may have crept in aeons ago on rides I didn't do so didn't read about.  Or possibly it's now de rigeur to include a mention of how fast we cycled, I missed that memo.   ::-)
Glad you enjoyed your ride too, Arabella. Having had a look, I can't see the (any) mentions of speed to which you refer upthread so your implicit concern about hat shrinking may be unfounded, at least for Peter's wonderful Heart of England audax, for which VMT.

« Reply #63 on: 23 April, 2018, 02:02:59 pm »
Nice to meet you at the start and Daventry Arabella. 
Sorry I did not "see you down" the road after Roso's....the climb out of Daventry did for my rear mech and ended my ride after 200K
As for the fast/slow debate, I think I enjoy watching the world go by to be too concerned about speed.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #64 on: 23 April, 2018, 02:27:27 pm »

You may have something.  I don't normally indicate how fast or slow I ride an event, or at least I don't think I do, but I did mention the finishing time up thread. 

I've certainly never ridden an event dressed as a banana, although some people have suggested my riding position might have a similar aerodynamic.   :facepalm:

However, as I was woken up in the small hours (comfortably tucked up in bed) by a relatively intense thunderstorm, I was quite happy to have got around before the rain started.   :smug:   I've had enough wet Audaxes to appreciate ones I can finish in the dry.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #65 on: 23 April, 2018, 02:29:52 pm »
Likewise
:( photo not visible my end (possibly firewall related).
I'll pm you an email address.

Couldn't compute this last bit:
In which case, no.  ;)

It's all in your head Arabella. 

Nobody has mentioned how fast they went. But in case you were wondering my moving average was a fraction under 18mph.

Sadly it wasn't quite fast enough to win  :(

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #66 on: 23 April, 2018, 04:54:30 pm »
Glad you enjoyed your ride too, Arabella. Having had a look, I can't see the (any) mentions of speed to which you refer upthread so your implicit concern about hat shrinking may be unfounded, at least for Peter's wonderful Heart of England audax, for which VMT.

I think she may have been referring to a different thread.
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #67 on: 23 April, 2018, 05:53:40 pm »

I think she may have been referring to a different thread.

This one... https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=107613.0

arabella

• عربللا
« Reply #68 on: 23 April, 2018, 07:01:40 pm »
I was referring to replies # 1, 4, 9, 11 and 18.  (ie more than 1 or 2, else I wouldn't have noticed)
It seems to have been confused, I don't see a problem mentioning times (which can be indicative of speed and/or riding style), only speeds.
Anyway, it looks like I am the only person that is actually bothered.  Having read that other thread it's where my comment belonged anyway  ???  though out of context.
I shall go and find something else to do. 

whosatthewheel

« Reply #69 on: 23 April, 2018, 07:33:01 pm »
I was referring to replies # 1, 4, 9, 11 and 18.  (ie more than 1 or 2, else I wouldn't have noticed)
It seems to have been confused, I don't see a problem mentioning times (which can be indicative of speed and/or riding style), only speeds.
Anyway, it looks like I am the only person that is actually bothered.  Having read that other thread it's where my comment belonged anyway  ???  though out of context.
I shall go and find something else to do.

and as you can see, reply no. 1 was a request to find some riding buddies for the day... not a crime I hope... I don't have the luxury and freedom of coming back home at 2 AM in the morning, like others seem to have, hence the brisker pace.  I really don't understand what you are on about...  ::-)

« Reply #70 on: 23 April, 2018, 09:31:18 pm »
Part of the joy of audaxing (for me) is finding and chatting to different companions along the way.

Was quite put off posting speeds/times or similar a while back when one then prolific member always seemed to be back home and posting on here their finish time whilst I was still riding the event.   Strangely that member has since faded completely from the scene, from which I conclude the satisfaction was only short term. 

As it happens I finished this event before some riders who I know are faster/stronger, because they were sheltering from the weather which, by going  a little slower, I seemed to avoid.  I also finished after at least one rider who, from what i saw, was generally slower, - but spent less time in the later controls.  Do I care ? 

The scenery, the weather, the potholes, the food, the conversations I had along the way, the personal satisfaction of completing the event within the time limit, are all more important. 

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #71 on: 23 April, 2018, 09:56:27 pm »
My first 300 of the year, and given that I lost the coveted lanterne rouge by mere seconds on my last calendar event, this was always going to be a bit epic...

It occurred to ask some peoples yacf moniker when I met them, so spent some time chatting to such luminaries as...   Somnolent, Tomsk and (I think) Captain Slow. Arabella I think you asked if I was OK when I stopped to photograph a particularly fine brown VandenPlas 1500...  In retrospect, a sensible question  :facepalm:
I was the last Audax Club Bristol rider on the road.

At about 150km my knee was giving me grief, but I remembered that I'd raised my saddle a few mm when I switched to winter boots. Suitably adjusted, it improved.
I left the final control (8:50 ish) buoyed by chips and full fat coke, but the lightshow started and the rain began. I don't think we had it that bad at the back of the field given the amount of surface water I saw later - but it can be pretty localised. Nearly came off on a submerged pothole near Witney.

I certainly questioned my sanity / leisure choices on the last stretch, but today I was idly planning a DIY 400.  My knee might take a while to recover.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #72 on: 23 April, 2018, 10:06:33 pm »
Arabella I think you asked if I was OK when I stopped to photograph a particularly fine brown VandenPlas 1500...  In retrospect, a sensible question  :facepalm:
Yes well, why am I not surprised by this?  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #73 on: 24 April, 2018, 08:07:48 am »
Try to get round without using your lights  :thumbsup: The only year I had to use them was the year of the snow storm in 2016. Coldest I have been for years.

BB
Sounds like a good challenge. I was 20km short of the finish on the oadts and coasts when lights became necessary. Maybe with less time in controls I could have made it, or maybe not.

Anyway the sort of form and weather that woukd have made our arrow easily achievable. Such a difference 3 weeks makes.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

whosatthewheel

« Reply #74 on: 24 April, 2018, 08:19:49 am »
Try to get round without using your lights  :thumbsup: The only year I had to use them was the year of the snow storm in 2016. Coldest I have been for years.

BB
Sounds like a good challenge. I was 20km short of the finish on the oadts and coasts when lights became necessary. Maybe with less time in controls I could have made it, or maybe not.

Anyway the sort of form and weather that woukd have made our arrow easily achievable. Such a difference 3 weeks makes.

IMO time spent at the controls is largely responsible of finishing early or late. Typically I clear controls quicker than the average and as a result I usually finish at the same time as folks much quicker than me on the road... you can easily waste an extra 15 minutes at a control... making up 15 minutes on the road is tough!