Author Topic: Manningtree 300 - 00:01h Sat 5th May "Green & Yellow Fields"  (Read 5565 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Manningtree 300 - 00:01h Sat 5th May "Green & Yellow Fields"
« on: 21 April, 2018, 08:14:05 am »
A bit of last-minute ride planning - foolishly inspired by the cracking weather. It's quite a trek to get to/from...

So, recidivists: please sell me this ride! Is it just about the curry?

(and is there any camping at the start? I note it's an "X" event, Postal finish, but I have vague recollections of camping at Manningtree events ...  :-\  )

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-900/
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Manningtree 300 - 00:01h Sat 5th May "Green & Yellow Fields"
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2018, 09:14:58 am »
I've not done done this one since Grant took over the organising but it is a very pleasant ride, especially when you are up in Norfolk, riding into the dawn.  I'm not sure why you'd want to camp though.  With the midnight start, you can take a train up to Manningtree, enjoy the curry, do the event and take a train back the following evening.

I would make sure you have some bonk rations with you.  There's a couple of longer stretches between the commercial controls and if you are planning on taking a leisurely pace you may find some of the stocks are running low by the time you reach them.

Also, with a nod to the weather, it can get bloody cold out there at night, even in summer.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2018, 12:39:12 pm »
Also, with a nod to the weather, it can get bloody cold out there at night, even in summer.

In 2013 it got down to -5°C at Barton Mills, and they refused to let us into the services (garage) to warm up.  There's now a 24-hour McD's there, so that particularly hazard has been mitigated somewhat.  My bidons and brake cables did freeze up on that particular ride, until dawn   :facepalm:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2018, 12:41:32 pm »
I've done it once, and didn't bother with the curry. A late train from London Liverpool St. got me to Manningtree for 11.30pm or so and then we were set off into the night.

The section up to the Norfolk coast is along A roads, but as it's overnight this isn't a problem, and makes for a very easy nighttime section. The section back is really pleasant East Anglian cycling (and that doesn't mean flat). Ride the northwards leg at a decent lick and you have loads of time to enjoy the daytime ride back to Manningtree.

When I rode I got a great breakfast from Yaxham Waters cafe. It's not a control, which meant I was the only cyclist there, allowing for efficient, friendly, service: https://www.yaxhamwaters.co.uk/cafe-bistro  Hopefully it hasn't changed since 2013 (jezz, I didn't realise it was back in 2013 when I did this ride).
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

rob

« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2018, 12:55:51 pm »
Last time I rode was 2015.   I got in with a pretty perky group overnight and we got to the turn very quickly.    Can’t really comment on the cafes as I tend to use shops and garages.   

I do recall the Waitrose cafe in Wymondham horrendously slow one year.   I think that’s the time I was told off for using their kitchen tap to fill my bottles as I couldn’t cope with queueing.

LMT

« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2018, 02:07:44 pm »
It's a good ride, a solid 300 which is not too hilly but then again not too flat. Give it some gas up to Burnham just in time for breakfast and enjoy a nice day ride back to Manningtree.

Bairn Again

« Reply #6 on: 24 April, 2018, 08:07:28 pm »
one of the attractions of this event for me is that it doesnt need overnight accommodation. 

The route is pretty smart, with deserted main roads at night and nice lanes by day. 

I also like the idea of finishing mid afternoon.   

Id be making the journey from Edinburgh to participate but Im otherwise occupied.   :'(

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2018, 12:38:15 pm »
Sounds like a good event, and the cheap accommodation appeals ;)

Am dithering, due to costs/train details  :-\  [No surprise - mainline trains from here cost about £10/mile to anywhere!] And the trains turn into buses on Sat evening, at a time that will add extra stress.

Q: What are the bike Nazis like on GreaterAnglia? I see reservations are "required". So that's another minor irritation.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #8 on: 30 April, 2018, 12:45:09 pm »
Q: What are the bike Nazis like on GreaterAnglia? I see reservations are "required". So that's another minor irritation.

I don't know. But I can tell you there's no reservations left on the 22:30 from Liverpool St.

rob

« Reply #9 on: 30 April, 2018, 01:01:05 pm »
Sounds like a good event, and the cheap accommodation appeals ;)

Am dithering, due to costs/train details  :-\  [No surprise - mainline trains from here cost about £10/mile to anywhere!] And the trains turn into buses on Sat evening, at a time that will add extra stress.

Do you mean the trains from Manningtree or your connections ?   Trains from Manningtree even at 6pm still show as direct.

I've found them pretty flexible, particularly on the way back as the guards vans are massive.    I have made reservations both ways, though.   I don't really want to take the gamble when getting to the start.    If I finish when I did last time I should have time to grab some food near the finish before kipping on the train home.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #10 on: 30 April, 2018, 04:39:32 pm »
Reservations are only "needed" on the intercity Norwich trains which leave Liverpool Street on the hour and half hour outbound. The other trains which take slightly longer and start or terminate (usually) at Ipswich don't have reservations (but can't be used at peak hours). Anglia are generally cycle friendly, the tandem is very well travelled on Anglia trains.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 30 April, 2018, 04:45:49 pm »
(yes, the buses are operating in the Maidenhead area - not on the Essex side! )

Top tips, thanks all.

(Incidentally, I've now noticed that the calendar page includes "C-Camping" - so someone thinks this could be useful! I don't plan to use it. Not sure if this has been changed in the last week. Anyway ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #12 on: 30 April, 2018, 04:45:58 pm »
I don;t remember booking a bike on.  But it was busy and needed us all to coordinate getting them on.

LMT

« Reply #13 on: 30 April, 2018, 07:19:43 pm »
 I recall back in 2015, the Intercity which rolled into Manningtree at about 2330hrs must of had about 15 bikes on it give or take in the guards van. All depends on the train staff ime.

« Reply #14 on: 02 May, 2018, 10:45:56 am »
I am a likely non starter; and have a couple of rail cheap rail tickets, including reserved bike spaces, for the full value rider.

Bookings are for the 8pm train on Friday from Liverpool Street to Manningtree (in good time for the curry), with the return train leaving Manningtree at 8:53pm on the Saturday evening.  I work in central London so no problem meeting up, even on the Friday.

PM me if interested.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #15 on: 02 May, 2018, 05:49:53 pm »
The current stats are 86 entries with 83 expected on the road, if HowardK is to be the 3rd advance notice DNS.  This ride continues to attract great numbers  :thumbsup:
I ordered 100 brevets so have brought the entry closure forward 24 hours to 3rd May.  (I had about 50 entries a few days ago when I ordered the brevets.)  If anyone does unfortunately need to DNS please let me know asap so brevets can be reissued should entries break three figures, no doubt late entries are boosted by the favourable weather forecast.  Also, not that I have had any such enquiries, but if you were hoping to enter on the line also let me know so arrangements can be made.

20 seats at The Mogul from 9:30pm are confirmed, a couple of those are still available.  All advance requests for the curry experience are accommodated, so far.
The Station Buffet is open to 11pm Friday and Saturday nights, and from 8am Saturday for breakfast (doors are possibly open from 7am).  There will be a collection box in the Buffet for your completed brevet with receipts all neatly enclosed in your free audax wallet.  If you don't deposit it there please post it to me as soon as possible.

Your attention is also drawn to the new Needham Market control available being manned by mini-huggy.  Not essential to go there if you want to get a receipt from elsewhere but the stamp is free along with coffee/tea and bidon refills.

Looking forward to seeing you all in Manningtree Friday evening  :)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 04 May, 2018, 10:35:56 am »
(following an absurdly long-winded odyssey to book bike reservations on most of the various legs, and figuring out the diversions round the engineering works ... )

I hope to arrive at the Mogul around 22:45 - see y'all there!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #17 on: 04 May, 2018, 01:35:34 pm »
Plan to pop into Mogul without actually eating anything sometime around 10:30/11:00, will chance my luck for a seat!

A

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #18 on: 04 May, 2018, 02:14:41 pm »
This ride continues to attract great numbers  :thumbsup:

Wish I could be making it 84 but I need to be elsewhere on Saturday morning.  :(

Maybe next year...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #19 on: 04 May, 2018, 03:26:27 pm »
I've taken up the offer of a lift to the depart. So there's a free bike reservation on the train, should anybody need one.

« Reply #20 on: 04 May, 2018, 03:44:50 pm »
Plan to pop into Mogul without actually eating anything sometime around 10:30/11:00, will chance my luck for a seat!

A

Not discounted drinking anything, I see  :)

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #21 on: 04 May, 2018, 04:26:56 pm »
See you guys at the Mogul (assuming my ECE is a success)  :thumbsup:

Bairn Again

« Reply #22 on: 04 May, 2018, 05:11:38 pm »
All the best folks.  Slightly jealous to be missing this one but dinner at the Lochbay seafood restaurant on Skye will be adequate compensation for missing out on the Mogul.   ;)

I hope to be back next year if it’s on the calendar. 

G

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #23 on: 04 May, 2018, 05:25:22 pm »
It's already in the planning calendar for the 4th May 2019  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Bairn Again

« Reply #24 on: 04 May, 2018, 08:51:08 pm »
It's already in the planning calendar for the 4th May 2019  :thumbsup:
as a fellow organiser big ta!