Author Topic: Flying from Slovenia with a bike  (Read 1506 times)

Flying from Slovenia with a bike
« on: 01 July, 2018, 05:07:27 am »
Kind of off topic I know, but I figured this would be the best place to ask and get the best response.
I've got a place as a volunteer at CP1 for TCR No. 6 and I'm planning on having my own mini adventure in the style of the race, to test my appetite for a possible 2019 entry.
Therefore, I'm riding to CP1 in Austria from Paris after hopping on Eurostar, then once my duties at CP1 are done, I thought I'd follow the race to CP2 in Slovenia, then fly home from Ljubljana.
Obviously I'll be travelling super light, so I can't lug packing material around with me. I can't find any information as to whether the handing agent at Ljubljana airport offers any assistance with packing bikes and don't want to rock up relying solely on my blagging skills!
Has anyone here experienced travelling like this before? How did you solve the problem of packing up your bike for a flight from scratch?
My fall back option is just to route back to Paris and get the train again, but that seems a bit boring and I'd like to go somewhere I've never been.
Thanks in advance for your advice and experience!

Re: Flying from Slovenia with a bike
« Reply #1 on: 01 July, 2018, 08:19:35 am »
Depends on how long you might have in Ljubljana. What I've done in past in similar circumstances is gone to a local bike shop and blagged a disused cardboard bike box and packed my bike in there.  You'll also need to acquire packing tape and ideally some bubble wrap. You'll have to take front wheel off and handlebar assembly. Given a bike in a cardboard box is awkward to move a taxi to the airport then helps final stage to check-in. Last did this in Tirana.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #2 on: 02 July, 2018, 11:52:26 am »
I did exactly the same as York_Badger when I cycled to Kefalonia. I bought bubble wrap etc from a DIY shop I found in Argostoli.

I did have a couple of days at the end of my trip before flying home to make this a pretty relaxed process.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #3 on: 02 July, 2018, 11:54:19 pm »
Thanks chaps. I've actually established contact with a bike shop in Ljubljana. Not only are they going to save me a box and let me use their tools (although I will have sufficient to DIY if necessary), they've offered me a ride to the airport as well. Incredible generosity.

« Reply #4 on: 08 July, 2018, 12:56:44 pm »
A few years ago I returned from Ljubljana via the overnight train to Munich, TGV to Paris then Eurostar. Depart Ljubljana at 10pm, the plan was to arrive in London at about 7pm next day. It didn't quite work out becasue the overnighter was delayed by 2 hours but still managed to get to London by 10, and they had to rearrange the tickets for us, EU law, which they basically did. I think the cost was about 100 quid(+Eurostar bike booking). If you have a lightweight bag inwhich you can pack the bike (120cm max dimension) then other than for the Eurostar stage you don't need to mention the bike, it's just luggage.

« Reply #5 on: 09 July, 2018, 01:30:13 am »
It didn't quite work out becasue the overnighter was delayed by 2 hours but still managed to get to London by 10, and they had to rearrange the tickets for us, EU law, which they basically did.

I don't think this is EU law - it's the CIV agreement on rail travel, which was put together by international bodies that go back to the 19th century.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIV_(rail_travel)
</pedant>

Damn good stuff though - whoever said international agreements don't benefit anyone?