Author Topic: The Horsepower 200 & 100km  (Read 23718 times)

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
Re: The Horsepower 200 & 100km Saturday 9th March 2019
« Reply #50 on: 03 March, 2019, 08:49:42 am »
Just met up with route checkers on the helpers ride Tomsk, KFC, Tippers, Jibers, Josser and Psyclist at the Chilli and Chives in Lavenham, who must lunching at the Snertterton circuit by now. Conversation progressed as to whom who had missed their turn on the front, and who will be doing the donkey work when they face the head wind. Sensibly I turned right at Great Green and pootled back home. I'm conserving my energy for the official Horsepower event next weekend.

(Ride strategy and confessions of a straggler: rather tuck in than muck in, why graft when you can draft, more shirker than worker, its all about hanging on than banging on).

G’day Strangler, good to see you briefly yesterday. You missed out on some killer headwinds back from snetterton - good for the soul...!

Thanks for letting me tag along yesterday Tomsk, good ride in great company and the perfect way to complete my first RRtY. Hope it all goes well next Saturday, will be sending positive weather vibes from Switzerland!
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #51 on: 03 March, 2019, 01:53:19 pm »
Many congrats on your maiden RRTYJosser - but you will need to do 4 on the bounce to keep up with Greysheep.

Easy life for some skiing in Switzerland next week, it's going to be downhill all the waaayyyyy......enjoy.
CCS - Setting the Standards

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #52 on: 04 March, 2019, 04:38:30 pm »
I finally got round to sorting out a couple of fliers for these events, it can be a PIA finding license free images for the background!

I've only just got them on to social media  :facepalm:

Regards,

Joergen

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #53 on: 04 March, 2019, 08:54:45 pm »
I finally got round to sorting out a couple of fliers for these events, it can be a PIA finding license free images for the background!

I see you’ve cropped me out of the second photo!
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #54 on: 04 March, 2019, 09:06:42 pm »
 :thumbsup: Thanks jiberjaber - entries still rolling in ...

Despite knowing we were returning into the wind, we still look cheerful! I was quite impressed by our average speed for the whole ride though, so it didn't drop off that much on the way back.

A similar strong-ish west-south-westerly awaits on Saturday, if the forecast is to be believed.

« Reply #55 on: 04 March, 2019, 10:20:00 pm »
Ideal for a quick motor up to Snetterton, and a genteel canter back through Newmarket.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #56 on: 04 March, 2019, 11:08:59 pm »

Not in malice, just to get the photo to fit.... you'll notice someone else missing also!  :facepalm:
Regards,

Joergen

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #57 on: 05 March, 2019, 07:33:29 am »

Not in malice, just to get the photo to fit.... you'll notice someone else missing also!  :facepalm:

Yes, thank goodness!  :P

« Reply #58 on: 05 March, 2019, 08:07:16 am »
Ideal for a quick motor up to Snetterton, and a genteel canter back through Newmarket.

Be careful ... too much racing on the way up may lead to the trots on the return

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #59 on: 05 March, 2019, 08:39:35 am »
Sorry to ruin the metaphors, but it's more likely to lead to Essex Energy Drinks on the way back.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

Phil W

« Reply #60 on: 05 March, 2019, 10:10:20 am »

Be careful ... too much racing on the way up may lead to the trots on the return

You night have to reign it in on the return, though no doubt some will try and hoof it back

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: 05 March, 2019, 03:42:06 pm »

You might have to reign it in on the return, though no doubt some will try and hoof it back

::-) Watt-ho! The wits of yacf jockey for position.

At least word-play makes a change from stressing about the wind and weather ...

Sorry to ruin the metaphors, but it's more likely to lead to Essex Energy Drinks on the way back.

Neigh, surely not!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #62 on: 05 March, 2019, 03:53:04 pm »
Surely all this punning will make us all a little hoarse
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Phil W

« Reply #63 on: 05 March, 2019, 04:13:35 pm »
Time to put it out to pasture before it turns into a mare and Tomsk calls foal.

« Reply #64 on: 05 March, 2019, 04:22:47 pm »
First audax since the Flatlands.

Gonna be a 'mare.

« Reply #65 on: 08 March, 2019, 09:17:22 am »
Weather is looking good for everybody tomorrow. Dry, not too cold, but perhaps a little blowy. Forecast to be a westerly, which will make the Snetterton to Newmarket stretch a little slow for those on the 200.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #66 on: 08 March, 2019, 09:43:10 am »
Just to re-iterate morning timings: SMC open from 19:30 this evening to set up and welcome the pyjama party. Over to the Angel and Harp at some point.

06:00 sleeps wake and prep for breakfast from about 06:30.

After 07:30 and 09:00 starts, clearing up, collect the bread order, controllers leave for Lavenham and Snetterton, remaining helpers ride out for an elevenses treat at the Blue Egg, back for 100km opening at 12:24.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #67 on: 08 March, 2019, 01:03:21 pm »
How many are in the pyjama party Tom?

I'm torn between the overnight with an extra 90 mins in bed however, less keen on the wet ride over tonight...  suspect I'll make my way over in the morning subject to hangover etc...
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #68 on: 08 March, 2019, 05:29:39 pm »
How many are in the pyjama party Tom?

I'm torn between the overnight with an extra 90 mins in bed however, less keen on the wet ride over tonight...  suspect I'll make my way over in the morning subject to hangover etc...

6 I think, without digging out my paperwork. Rain has been light here, so far ...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #69 on: 08 March, 2019, 05:33:38 pm »
Think I'll aim for riding over in the morning, see you then.  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #70 on: 08 March, 2019, 05:35:06 pm »
Two support vehicle loads of food and control stuff delivered this afternoon; just need to the spend the evening sorting it all out and welcoming the pyjama party. Then to the Angel and Harp ...

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #71 on: 08 March, 2019, 06:58:46 pm »
i will be at SMC for approx 06:00 to assist with the launch activities, then heading over to Snetterton to meet the 200K riders with an ACME stamp, before sending them off into the not so gentle breeze.
I'm heading off into deepest darkest Norfolk from Snetterton so no engine assisted option back to Dunmow from me.
Good luck to all of the riders this weekend, a bit of team work on the way back will help.

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #72 on: 10 March, 2019, 09:33:58 am »
I’ll go first then.

From 07:20 we were set off in waves a few minutes apart. I was eager to get started so positioned myself to ensure I was in the first wave.

This ride was quite good as each stage was roughly 50km, so could divide it up that there would be roughly four 2-3 hours rides. The first control was Lavenham, the wind was with me and it felt like I was flying, which was just as well as I took a wrong turn and had to backtrack a bit to get back on to the route. It didn’t really matter though as I got to the control and Nick stamped my card.

Whilst there I met Jan, Andy and Chris. We would spend the rest of the ride cycling together. The next control was at Snetterton Race circuit. The wind was with us for the most part however as we approached the circuit we cycled through a storm. The rain came down quick, heavy and cold. Worst of all though the wind was blowing it at speed sideways like daggers hitting my face. Luckily though we could see blue skies in the distance so just had to suffer through it. However worse than the rain was the wind as soon as we entered the circuit. It gust strong and hard like a smack in the face, it also didn’t help that by now I was starving and in need of decent meal. There was nothing to do but spin and try and move forwards to the restaurant.

The next stage to Newmarket would prove to be toughest, we were changing direction now, going into the wind. To make things easier we decided to each spend 5 minutes on the front, taking it in turns to suffer the brunt of the wind. By the time we reached Newmarket the wind had died down a bit but then we had the rolling hills to contend with. Those 50km took us nearly four hours and the Wetherspoons we controlled at was never more inviting. A quick meal and then on to the last 50km back to Dunmow.

The worst of the wind was now behind us and towards the end I think we had a tail wind! We took the main and fast road back which may have been a mistake as there were some questionable overtaking manoeuvres by the Essex motorists! Thankfully though we all made it back safely to the Arrivee just after 19:00hrs.

So that’s the first PBP qualifier done and ride 4 of my RRTY.

Many thanks to Tom and all the ACME team for organising.
ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #73 on: 10 March, 2019, 09:49:10 am »
A game of two half’s!  On top for the first half, in full control and moving really well.  All felt comfortable, started to get a wee bit less comfortable just before half time. Second half lost the pace considerably, struggled to keep moving forwards at times, was hanging on a bit for a while.  About half way through this half things started to pick up a bit, got back into control, but at a slower pace that earlier in the game.  Was pleased with the end result and overall was tested but happy.

A huge ‘well done’ to Tom and all volunteers, made the game both possible and enjoyable.  One down...... more to come.

rob

« Reply #74 on: 10 March, 2019, 10:55:26 am »
Set off quite briskly, enjoying the tailwind, at times on my own and others in small groups.  I had a fairy visit about 5 miles short of Snetterton.  Rear wheel, naturally.   Despite this I was still at the turn in 3h30.

I borrowed the track pump to top my tyre up but accidentally unscrewed the valve core, causing a complete deflation.   Tyre pumped back up I set off into the increasing headwind.  Somewhere just after Honington the rear went flat again.  With a bit of swearing I used my last tube up and then rode to Newmarket.  I detoured off to Halfords to pick up another couple of tubes.  Guy behind the counter asked if I was having a good day.  Given I was pretty tetchy by this point his timing was not great.

From here the run back was easier with the wind from the side so progress was decent.  I got in in 9hrs which was an hour slower than last year which had much more benign conditions.

I did, for some reason, cock up my fuelling, especially hydration and I was quite wobbly at the HQ.  A bit of TLC, a couple of cheese rolls and a load of squash sorted me out before the drive home.

Thanks to all the ACME crew for looking after us all.