Author Topic: [HAMR] Riding a day with Steve?  (Read 6914 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Riding a day with Steve?
« Reply #25 on: 04 January, 2015, 09:16:37 am »
His team haven't planned his route to/ from PBP as yet. He may go via Dunkirk or Hook of Holland ferry, which gives ample opportunity for flatland drafting. Eurotunnel or ferries further west are still under consideration. Flying is less likely. Finding suitably fast routes on the UK side is liable to be a major factor. Local knowledge will help decide the best option.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #26 on: 10 January, 2015, 08:21:30 pm »
Has he got any routes published? Be handy to know where he is likely to be if anyone fancies joining him.
Nothing left to prove. http://adenough1.blogspot.co.uk/

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #27 on: 10 January, 2015, 09:37:54 pm »
No - there are no routes published. The calendar has some tentative hosts shown , but the whole daily decision is ultimately a Steve decision , with the team suggesting routes and possible options. Today we have been mulling over the possibility of suggesting riding east tomorrow or Monday and then being either relocated by car , or tacking back into the wind. Steve is only just being given these possibilities - and may well ignore them - but  we will have put some thought into possible alternatives for the next two days - as for next month or even next week -- no current certainties .
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #28 on: 10 January, 2015, 10:00:09 pm »
I am thinking ahead for the logistics of riding with (or more likely chasing after a rapidly receding back wheel) Steve when starts his 'national' tour. I need to plan ahead for work/leave etc.

When he comes down to Portsmouth at the end of March I was thinking it might be possible to catch him somewhere on his route down.

Who do we pm (closer to the time obviously) to find out what the potential route is, and what is the best mobile way of following the track leader page?
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #29 on: 01 February, 2015, 11:01:48 am »
What's the current guidance for riding a short section e.g. 10km, with Steve without 'prior arrangement'?    Just thinking of the kind of tag along for a section when Steve is out and about...  Not close, but within line of sight etc...  Have people done this?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #30 on: 01 February, 2015, 11:33:28 am »
What's the current guidance for riding a short section e.g. 10km, with Steve without 'prior arrangement'?    Just thinking of the kind of tag along for a section when Steve is out and about...  Not close, but within line of sight etc...  Have people done this?

I've lifted this from the team's January newsletter:

"...Feel free to gather experienced cyclists and ride with Steven.It's important to understand that he is riding to a set heart rate and pace and this will not change for anybody. That said experienced cyclists offering Steven company will be most welcome to get some miles in with him. Do be careful as one of our early year hosts (a very experienced cyclist himself) had the misfortune of hitting the deck and broke his hip due to icy roads. You will all be pleased to know the person in question is on the mend..."

« Reply #31 on: 01 February, 2015, 01:59:27 pm »

"...Feel free to gather experienced cyclists and ride with Steven.It's important to understand that he is riding to a set heart rate and pace and this will not change for anybody. That said experienced cyclists offering Steven company will be most welcome to get some miles in with him. Do be careful as one of our early year hosts (a very experienced cyclist himself) had the misfortune of hitting the deck and broke his hip due to icy roads. You will all be pleased to know the person in question is on the mend..."
Ahaaa...was that Andyoxon he was riding with ahead of me near Stanford in the Vale? We asked a cyclist going the other way & he said Steve was riding with An Other :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #32 on: 01 February, 2015, 02:14:07 pm »

Ahaaa...was that Andyoxon he was riding with ahead of me near Stanford in the Vale? We asked a cyclist going the other way & he said Steve was riding with An Other :thumbsup:

I believe it was jack numplumz (sp) if my forum following fu and memory serve correctly.