Author Topic: [HAMR] Steve's new diet  (Read 20592 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Steve's new diet
« Reply #25 on: 25 November, 2015, 08:45:00 pm »
Right, here goes with an experiment:
I haven't read this thread, but see there are 20 posts already. Would it be rash to predict that no-one knows what this new diet actually *is* ?   :P

Are you offering odds on it?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #26 on: 25 November, 2015, 09:10:40 pm »
Trying to get things sorted I collected the following facebook-entries:

March 5th:
Picture on the scale: showing ~10.8 (stones ?, what units do you use in England?), I presume this is equivalent of ~69 kg [NB: exactly the same picture was posted again on 30th october]

November 12th:
“Steve now weighs 68kg - down from nearly 80kg at the beginning of this year.”

November 25th:
“and he's lost 5kg in weight - in less than 2 weeks”

Does that mean he is down to 63 kg now? How tall is he? Did he lose most of his weight until march 5th?

My impression as an outsider (who follows the HAMR very interested from Germany):
I never heard of Steve A. before 2015. The first pictures I saw – dating from January 2015- showed a guy unnecessarily well padded for endurance cycling. The pictures made in october/ november however don’t suggest any need for further weight loss, he looks good. So nutrition might still be improved, but why any more weight reduction?

« Reply #27 on: 25 November, 2015, 11:06:54 pm »
The first pictures I saw – dating from January 2015- showed a guy unnecessarily well padded for endurance cycling. T
Those pictures showed a guy wearing a lot of clothes. You really can't tell from them.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

simonp

« Reply #28 on: 25 November, 2015, 11:07:45 pm »
If the weight loss is muscle glycogen then it's not directly an issue. That would be expected on a low carb diet.

simonp

« Reply #29 on: 25 November, 2015, 11:08:58 pm »
The first pictures I saw – dating from January 2015- showed a guy unnecessarily well padded for endurance cycling. T
Those pictures showed a guy wearing a lot of clothes. You really can't tell from them.

When I first me Steve he was pretty trim but not so much in recent years. I do believe he had a bit of a gut at the start of the year.

Ben T

« Reply #30 on: 26 November, 2015, 12:13:40 am »
An important factor will be how long it physically takes to eat it, I would have thought. Best value will be something that gives high amount of slow release energy but doesn't take long to eat, hence back on bike sooner.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #31 on: 26 November, 2015, 12:57:13 am »
Yeah saw that on the Fb earlier today too.

I wished him the best of luck with the new diet. I'm sure he and his team know what they are doing. Hopefully it will all work to make for a healthier Steve who can sustain this incredible odyssey.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #32 on: 26 November, 2015, 07:55:17 am »
Anyone have an idea as to what Kurt's eating ?  (Sorry if this is already known, I CBA to go digging for the info on FB.)
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #33 on: 26 November, 2015, 08:01:51 am »
Picture on the scale: showing ~10.8 (stones ?, what units do you use in England?), I presume this is equivalent of ~69 kg [NB: exactly the same picture was posted again on 30th october]
swampthing, 10.8 stone on digital scales probably means 10 stone and 8 pounds - since your command of English is so impressive, you'll probably have noticed that the plural of stone is stone (but the plural of pound is still pounds!) - which, since there are 14(!) pounds in a stone works out to be nearer to 67kg (148*0.453).  Such is the innate logic of the Imperial system... ::-) ;)

paul851

« Reply #34 on: 26 November, 2015, 08:08:54 am »
Anyone have an idea as to what Kurt's eating ?  (Sorry if this is already known, I CBA to go digging for the info on FB.)

I don't think his diet has been mentioned specifically on FB but theirs been mention of mainly McD's,Dunkin Donut and Pizza plus if I recall correctly he uses Spitz energy drinks ?

Paul

« Reply #35 on: 26 November, 2015, 08:16:30 am »
I was with one of the Elliptigo riders a lot on a 600 qualifier. We discussed Idai's approach to nutrition, which shifted from fasting to high fat, depending on who he'd been talking to.
I'd be interested to know where any nutritional advice is coming from, and what factors have initiated a change in diet. It's a very interesting area of study, and has a big potential impact on performance, especially where it intersects with morale.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #36 on: 26 November, 2015, 08:27:59 am »
The diet change had better start paying off soon. Steve can't afford to keep losing miles at this rate.

Tommy Godwin's fairly restricted diet seemed to work pretty well.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #37 on: 26 November, 2015, 08:34:55 am »
There was a post on farcebook saying something like 40 bananas a day. Then there was the chocolate doughnut that he proposed with, which I never found out if he finished eating.

Regarding Steve is his cake intake suffering on this new diet?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #38 on: 26 November, 2015, 08:39:47 am »
There was a post on farcebook saying something like 40 bananas a day. Then there was the chocolate doughnut that he proposed with, which I never found out if he finished eating.
Wow !  Imagine just doing that for a year, let alone mega-bonkers levels of cycling !
Rust never sleeps

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #39 on: 26 November, 2015, 08:52:43 am »
Wow !  Imagine just doing that for a year, let alone mega-bonkers levels of cycling !
oops my bad

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #40 on: 26 November, 2015, 09:09:50 am »
ISTR that Tommy Godwin did it on a vegetarian diet.  Of course, you can be a veggie and just eat chocolate and chips.  Whether fat burning works depends largely on how hard you're riding.  At a gentle pace on the flat a trained cyclist - even me! - can burn fat and not get the bonk, but if you ride to the extent where you're even slightly out of breath your body is going to want something a bit more readily available.  Unless you want a REALLY long day in the saddle, doing over 200 miles is probably going to need some carbs.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #41 on: 26 November, 2015, 09:15:53 am »
The problem with all of the nutritional advice and research is that what Steve is doing is so far beyond the bounds of any nutritional study.  I laugh at articles in the comic that talk about preparing for endurance events that last 6 hours!!  My problems on events like PBP aren't in the first six hours and usually I'm OK in the first 26 hours - its 46 an 66 hours into the event that I find it hard - and what I've learnt comes from trial and error.  So Science probably doesn't have an answer

TG is vastly more experienced that any of us in this regard, so I guess, as usual, he'll be the best placed to determine if it works.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #42 on: 26 November, 2015, 11:34:19 am »
The problem with all of the nutritional advice and research is that what Steve is doing is so far beyond the bounds of any nutritional study.  I laugh at articles in the comic that talk about preparing for endurance events that last 6 hours!!  My problems on events like PBP aren't in the first six hours and usually I'm OK in the first 26 hours - its 46 an 66 hours into the event that I find it hard - and what I've learnt comes from trial and error.  So Science probably doesn't have an answer

TG is vastly more experienced that any of us in this regard, so I guess, as usual, he'll be the best placed to determine if it works.

+1

Even the recent study bu Volek and Pinney (two high fat advocates) which tested elite level ultra distance runners was only a 3 hr treadmill test.

There are so many individual variables, along with the stresses encountered(both physical and mentally) on audax/ultra running that it is impossible to extrapolate even from good scientific data. It really is a very individual thing to figure out.

While one can make a strong argument for high fat for this type of activity it doesn't suit some and at a guess for people like Kurt it probably doesn't matter. Metabolic flexibility is just another string to his bow.

On needing carbs for long steady riding, with adaptation one needs very little. For someone fat adapted, and for whom high fat works, if attempting something like this something like this would probably work
*fasted start to day
* introduce  food circa 120km-140km, fruit, choclate covered nuts, chocolate milk
* if for a flatish 300km ride at 25km/h circa 1000cals would probably be enough, with maybe 500 cals carbs in that
* Immediately after stopping carb up
* Between stopping and sleep eat as much as possible, given lots are calories are necessary adequate protein(but not so much as to kill appetite) and go mental with added fat.

For a pretty average athlete, it works for me. Bonk proof and very very low risk of GI are biggest advantages

« Reply #43 on: 26 November, 2015, 11:43:16 am »
What Steve is doing is more akin to heavy manual labour than the usual sporting competitions.

But even the hardest of navvies had days off.

This may be more applicable:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyageurs#Food
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Chris S

« Reply #44 on: 26 November, 2015, 11:48:33 am »
OK, six hours may not be enough to go on; how about 45 days of dawn-til-dusk rowing on heavy seas?

http://www.fatchancerow.org/

All done on strict LCHF, under the watchful eye of Steve Phinney.

Documentary (and trailer) here: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/runonfat

LMT

« Reply #45 on: 26 November, 2015, 12:09:16 pm »
Steve was churning out the miles and was looking good, now with this new diet his average has dropped over the last few days. I hope the long term benefits of this new plan pay off - or will we see another restart come the 1st of January?

« Reply #46 on: 26 November, 2015, 12:21:51 pm »
If anyone watched Monty Don’s garden programme, he looked at meadow mowing before machinery. The mowers used scythes. They would swing their scythes from dawn to dusk, living on cooked meat, seasonal vegetables, fruit and weak beer.
Monty stated the mowers would consume up to 28 pints of beer per day.

If the mowers drank too much and didn’t finish their quota, they’d be ‘half cut’ for the day.

So what’s Steve’s “new” diet. Meat, veg, fruit and no beer?

paul851

« Reply #47 on: 26 November, 2015, 12:33:39 pm »
OK, six hours may not be enough to go on; how about 45 days of dawn-til-dusk rowing on heavy seas?

Interesting reading but not sure how it would go down with my cardiologist,after two heart attacks and a double bypass "Fat" is the enemy according to my GP and many health professionals but I think a bit more Googling may be in order .

Paul

Chris S

« Reply #48 on: 26 November, 2015, 12:51:34 pm »

Interesting reading but not sure how it would go down with my cardiologist,after two heart attacks and a double bypass "Fat" is the enemy according to my GP and many health professionals but I think a bit more Googling may be in order .

Paul

Depends on your cardiologist, I guess. In the unlikely event it is (was) Otto Thaning (Oldest person to swim the English Channel, strict LCHF diet) you'd probably be fine.

His diet was reportedly mostly seafood and salad; "No meat, no carbs".

« Reply #49 on: 26 November, 2015, 01:04:27 pm »

Paul

If you watch the documentary (it's an interesting watch) you'll see that "Fat is bad" is the GP party line and why that became so. They argue that this is too simplistic advice.