Author Topic: [HAMR] Recipe For Success  (Read 2285 times)

clarion

• Tyke
[HAMR] Recipe For Success
« on: 04 December, 2015, 03:34:43 pm »
We've all learned a heck of a lot in the last year - not least Messrs Abraham & Searvogel.  One of the things they have learned is that, even with planning and support, and modern technology, Godwin's achievement remains awesome, and there are very good reasons why no one has been able to surpass him in the intervening decades.

But a few things stand out as obstacles to be avoided, and I was musing on what the best shot at beating whatever record the Titans set might look like.

Firstly, I think that the steed(s) of choice would be a lightweight recumbent.  Kurt has put in some good fast miles on his, and I think both have suffered to a greater or lesser extent with sores, which are normally less of a problem on bent.  Obviously, more than one would be a good plan.  Steve's three bike system seems to work well.

Secondly, choice of terrain.  Steve has the flatlands of East Anglia, but the wind can be proper fierce there, and he can only just get a full day's ride downwindish before turning back into it.  A flattish, partially sheltered, area would be ideal (but I don't know where there is one), with space to run the wind for longer spells, although nothing so flat that it just becomes completely monotonous.  Steve says he likes the odd rise & fall.

Thirdly, mobile support seems to have worked pretty well for Kurt & Alicia.  Sound move.  Only drawbacks have been when bikes have fallen off the rack (thankfully that doesn't seem to happen so much now they've changed that), and finding accommodating bike stores in unfamiliar areas.  I would say that two support crew would be ideal, which would mean no driving for the rider, and more time for mechanicing, as well as more ability to transfer overnight.  Of course, that would cost more, but I'm just suggesting ideas.

Fourthly, weather.  Kurt has struggled with rain and lowish temperatures, and Steve has faced ice and siling rain.  Moving venue exposed Kurt to violent winds and to extreme heat.  A compromise needs to be sought, and the year's travelling activity should be planned around this plan.

Fifthly, road choice.  The obvious routes would be A roads or the equivalent, but Kurt has suffered from heavy lorry traffic and poor road surfaces.  I presume Steve has had similar experiences.  It's not easy to find routes that are fast enough (i.e. fewest junctions), flat enough, and clear of traffic.  More summer riding at night might be an idea, should the rider be able to manage it.

Sixthly, company.  It seems to be very lonely out there on the road, so planning in meets with other riders should break the monotony.  Kurt seems to have had a great lift in recent days from people turning out to do a stint with him.  And, of course, Alicia has managed to get a few miles in too.

Seventh, Diet.  Steve has had a radical change of diet mid-ride.  This was forced by circumstance, but maybe the diet needs to be planned carefully in advance, and adapted to before the attempt starts.

Eightthly, Social Media.  Alicia has managed the social media pretty well, posting short videos every few days, and updates almost every single day, often several times.  This has sustained and built the interest and support as the attempt has gone on.  Though this must take quite a bit of time and effort, it seems to be worth it, and has helped to get riders out on the hamster wheel.

I think that pretty much covers it, but none of this would be any good without, at the centre, an utterly awesome rider.  Those of the calibre of Steve and Kurt and Tommy do not come along often, so it remains to be seen whether there will be any more attempts.  Personally, I hope so.
Getting there...

Re: Recipe For Success
« Reply #1 on: 04 December, 2015, 04:02:28 pm »
Yup,

The one thing that is outstanding is Alicia's commitment to Kurt.

I have known friends planning/doing long 'around the world' type rides, who have ended up with some serious fallings out.

When things aren't going right, its all too easy to blame those closest to you.

Luckily, as has been proved, Kurt has risen above such minor things as incorrect fuelling, and obviously the chemistry is right between them, so much so, to allow the wedding to fit into the plans.  :thumbsup:

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #2 on: 04 December, 2015, 05:17:50 pm »
I feel one of the ingredients has to be speed, clearly Kurt has that in Spades, as did Tommy G, and it appears next years challenger CycleDr.

The question to me is does Steve? Does his choice of location, routes, equipment and support limit his speed.

Kurt is doing 220+ rides in 12-13 hours allowing adequate recovery, something Steve can only dream of right now. He himself realised quickly at the start of attempt 2 he was grinding himself down.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #3 on: 04 December, 2015, 05:48:22 pm »
speed is important and possible to achieve by training, nutritious diet is important, using a suitable bike(s) and kit is important as well as using all the available support. maximising the distance on fair weather days for when it's cold windy and wet. venturing out to a milder climes and flattish terrains. keeping others updated about the progress.

« Reply #4 on: 04 December, 2015, 06:08:15 pm »
Things that Steve could do to increase his mileage / effort ratio, in approximate order of potential benefit:
- Improve the aerodynamics of his riding position and bike
- Consider going somewhere warmer (eg Spain) for a few weeks during the winter
- Ride on faster roads, eg the main TT courses
- Make use of other riders for drafting
- Have fewer stops for meals during the day, esp during short winter days
- Reduce the weight of his bike and luggage
- Get a power meter to manage effort more accurately.

Any one of them would help.  Doing them all (that are not inconsistent with each other) could see him adding 20-30 miles per day for the same effort.

« Reply #5 on: 04 December, 2015, 06:09:55 pm »
When checking the area requirements, when only taking Europe into account I'd suggest that the area between Hendaye in the south, Brest in the west, northern Denmark in the north and roughly around Gdansk in the east would give a very good terrain for such a challenge. Southern France would be ideal for the winter while you'd have enough space from south-east to north-west to cycle for days on end without running out of tailwind. And it's an area with quite some interesting nighttrain connections which could be used for a return trip. Plus most of the area's have a decent cyclist's infrastructure and public interest in cycling.

« Reply #6 on: 04 December, 2015, 06:50:27 pm »
The UK is definitely not the ideal place to try to attempt a challenge of this magnitude.

Looking at Kurts ride for yesterday

https://www.strava.com/activities/443940896

362km at an average of 31.4 km/h with the benefit of a tailwind all day
21C and flat as a pancake - even flatter than the Strava figures suggest as you can see that his GPS unit has had a bit of a step change at the 300km point

- Steve is at a huge disadvantage just down to UK geography and weather.

« Reply #7 on: 04 December, 2015, 07:01:57 pm »
- Steve is at a huge disadvantage just down to UK geography and weather.

I believe this to be true.

« Reply #8 on: 04 December, 2015, 07:28:12 pm »
I did 70 miles at 15mph today, in what was probably the best day of weather there has been for riding in weeks.... and it was bloody hard work.  Debris, muddy, grit strewn roads and what seemed to be a headwind that followed me everywhere.

The record is the ultimate goal - but ignoring that for a moment - I just can not get my head around how he does what he does day in day out in this country.

Personally, if someone breaks the record in the UK I would expect them to have a support van, a choice of fast, light bikes and a group of fast riders to shelter them.

If Steve can break it with his current, pure strategy then I would have to rank it right up there with the greatest sporting/mental achievement of all time.

« Reply #9 on: 04 December, 2015, 10:25:18 pm »
why this new thread? what's different from the current thoughts thread at https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=90295.0 ?

Ben T

« Reply #10 on: 04 December, 2015, 10:58:21 pm »
Of course, if absolute maximum miles to physical effort ratio is the priority, then riding a velodrome for 15 hours a day is the recipe for success. But I doubt this is particularly conducive to maintaining an acceptable level of mental health.
The problem therefore reduces to one of finding the correct balance between this, and maximum mileage.
Or, perhaps, one of finding a way to do the challenge that you find acceptable. I get the impression that Kurt's way is ultimately more effective but the idea of that style of riding just doesn't sit well with Steve. Perhaps he isn't so insistent on getting (and keeping) the HAMR for himself that he's willing to compromise his principles for it.

« Reply #11 on: 05 December, 2015, 08:39:51 am »
^^Rich, I think the OP was trying to come at the point from a more positive angle and started a new thread for constructive input.  But you are right that subsequent discussion has converged towards the other thread.

^You may well have hit the nail on the head with that, Ben.  Unfortunately that doesn't fit with this thread.  Not adapting the approach in the light of piles of new evidence would belong in a thread called 'Recipes for Failure'!

« Reply #12 on: 05 December, 2015, 09:11:47 am »
With this thread we can discuss things which are out of scope for the current two efforts of Kurt and Steve but would be interesting for any future challengers, like location and other ways of structuring a bid.
The area I sketched as an interesting one would be interesting if for example Kristof would give it a go, since he's based right in the middle of it.