Author Topic: [HAMR] Steve ends his second attempt  (Read 22825 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Steve ends his second attempt
« Reply #125 on: 23 January, 2016, 01:59:14 pm »
Sad to see this just now, but it's better than damaging his health, maybe permanently.  In the meantime, admiration of what he achieved despite such horrid bad luck is permanent.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #126 on: 23 January, 2016, 04:16:36 pm »
Great respect Steve. Your doing this has been an inspiration - got others looking at it and has galvanised interest in longer distances and exploring the limits. Inspired me to get fit again and get back on the bike, and maybe back into audax this summer. Thanks.
I simply have no idea how you managed to get up and do it day after day in the ghastly wet and cold weather.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #127 on: 23 January, 2016, 11:01:50 pm »
Thank you very much, Steve Abraham!

Thank you for 385 mornings worth checking Strava!

Thank you for all the hoping, fearing, head shaking, applauding, despairing, cheering!

A beer, a tear and a whisky for me tonight!

Cheers from Germany,  :)
Swampthing

hillbilly

« Reply #128 on: 24 January, 2016, 11:51:23 am »
On the bright side, Steve, being emancipated from the tyranny of the record attempt means cycling can return to being for pleasure rather than for a purpose.  Enjoy the freedom of simply riding towards the horizon.

« Reply #129 on: 24 January, 2016, 01:44:07 pm »
That year still makes Steve probably the touring cyclist with the highest annual mileage ever, all the others, including Tommy Godwin, having been racers (and that record will probably remain for all time, there not being too many potential candidates to beat it, unless Steve tries to do it himself).
Other positive - this shows just how far the randonneur concept can be taken in long distance/long duration cycling.
Steve still enters into the top five of all-time long distance cyclists (at number four).

CONGRATULATIONS STEVE

(Of course there is a little margin for improvement due to the mileage lost with the moped incident - but Kurt also has a margin for improvement with the mileage he lost driving his van or messing around in bike shops when he could have been riding or sleeping).

That is still over 100,000kms in the year- mind-boggling!!!!

« Reply #130 on: 24 January, 2016, 02:29:17 pm »
In general, it's right to see Steve's year as a sort of extended randonee. But Steve did ride the Mersey Roads 24 Hour Time Trial as part of his year.

That's always been a sort of endurance test for most of the participants. Only the top 3 or 4 have any realistic chance of victory, and it's eligible for up to 7 AUK points. Steve got 4 points, at an average of just below 16kph. it coincided with the low point in form that both Steve and Kurt had around that time.

I started editing a video about Steve at the 24, but got diverted by the footage of the other riders. Steve was mainly just very tired.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttdpL-Xr8Z4

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #131 on: 24 January, 2016, 02:57:41 pm »
Out of curiosity - how many AUK points did Steve tally in 2015?

If all rides were converted into points, how does that compare with the WR for AUK points?

« Reply #132 on: 24 January, 2016, 03:03:11 pm »
You'd need to assess each ride for average speed. I'd expect most to be above 15kph.

hillbilly

« Reply #133 on: 24 January, 2016, 03:13:45 pm »
Out of curiosity - how many AUK points did Steve tally in 2015?

If all rides were converted into points, how does that compare with the WR for AUK points?

He got 33 points.

If all his rides were converted into points, he would have got 33 points.  Because none of his non-AUK rides would have qualified for AUK points as they were not audax rides.  And if they were to be registered as audax events, which requires passing through pre-agreed controls, he wouldn't have ridden as far.  In other words, it's all a bit academic.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #134 on: 25 January, 2016, 06:41:27 pm »
The Sensible Answer;
very roughly 1000 points (assuming a point for each 100km he rode).

[I am confident this is accurate to at least 1sig fig]

Which (for those new to AUK history) makes an interesting comparison with his 400-odd points in a year achieved unsupported with a full-time job. (2007 ? )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #135 on: 25 January, 2016, 06:43:48 pm »
Who is behind the camera in the Sofa Videos?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #136 on: 25 January, 2016, 06:47:59 pm »
Sensible answer: he wasn't riding an audax.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #137 on: 25 January, 2016, 06:53:06 pm »
The Sensible Answer;
very roughly 1000 points (assuming a point for each 100km he rode).

[I am confident this is accurate to at least 1sig fig]

Which (for those new to AUK history) makes an interesting comparison with his 400-odd points in a year achieved unsupported with a full-time job. (2007 ? )

chalk and cheese / apples and oranges? :)

« Reply #138 on: 25 January, 2016, 07:10:48 pm »
I'm taking Steve's year to be the professional Audax record, as he was sponsored by a lump sum, and then optional payments of £1 per Audax entry.

Phil W

« Reply #139 on: 25 January, 2016, 07:25:18 pm »
Who is behind the camera in the Sofa Videos?

Andrew

« Reply #140 on: 25 January, 2016, 09:37:35 pm »
Commiserations, Steve - it's hard to pack in when you're so far into something, but I'm very glad you had the support there to help you with your decision. That was a hell of a year, and you can look back with pride on what you've achieved. You'll have my support if you decide to try again.

I haven't replied before, as I've been out on my bike - I was riding home yesterday, and I was reeally tempted to take the train a couple of times, but I thought WWTGD? - and carried on. It was a good ride.