Author Topic: [HAMR] A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker  (Read 119938 times)

Re: A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker
« Reply #50 on: 17 May, 2016, 07:25:47 am »
:o

« Reply #51 on: 17 May, 2016, 08:20:14 am »
:o
This one is going to be too exhausting to follow.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

red marley

« Reply #52 on: 17 May, 2016, 08:32:34 am »
According to a local Tampa rider who was with Amanda on day one, she was with only around 5 riders most of whom weren't pulling, so this really is quite some achievement.  I do hope she's going for the WR.

Amanda's and Kajsa's ride objectives are quite different in many ways but at the rate she is going Amanda may well overtake Kajsa's annual total before the end of 2016. I wonder if this will encourage Kajsa to up her miles over summer. An interesting year ahead I think.

« Reply #53 on: 17 May, 2016, 11:50:13 am »
Amanda's and Kajsa's ride objectives are quite different in many ways but at the rate she is going Amanda may well overtake Kajsa's annual total before the end of 2016. I wonder if this will encourage Kajsa to up her miles over summer. An interesting year ahead I think.

I think, as you say, their objectives - and therefore their motivations - are quite different. And so are their backgrounds, with Amanda having already done plenty of long distance riding. So I would anticipate little change from Kajsa - there's no chance (IMO obvs) of her doing repeated 200 mile days - not least, as we noted during Kurt's and Steve's rides, because the terrain and (generally) weather are vastly different, but so are their aims.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Phil W

« Reply #54 on: 17 May, 2016, 11:58:32 pm »
Alicia posted a video from the first day. It's set as public

https://www.facebook.com/alicia.searvogel/posts/10154122756692591

Amanda wanted to watch Kurt's butt for a while. Brief comment on whether she's going after Kurt's record. Nice humorous start.

« Reply #55 on: 18 May, 2016, 02:49:58 am »

« Reply #56 on: 18 May, 2016, 05:18:38 pm »
Foly Huck  :o :o

Looks like this little bit of USAnia will become the new home of distance record breaking, watch out Kurt!!  ;D

« Reply #57 on: 19 May, 2016, 02:55:49 am »

red marley

« Reply #58 on: 19 May, 2016, 07:51:31 am »
I've just read more on Amanda's recent history (CMiller may wish to elaborate) which makes her record attempt all the more impressive. It would appear she is planning to stick to Florida all year round including the stifling summer months and breezy hurricane season.

« Reply #59 on: 19 May, 2016, 07:53:46 am »
What a start!

(But lets not forget she's only done just over 1% in terms of time for the challenge. There will be uphill stretches, even if not many of them will be topographical.)

« Reply #60 on: 19 May, 2016, 01:17:24 pm »
I've just read more on Amanda's recent history (CMiller may wish to elaborate) which makes her record attempt all the more impressive. It would appear she is planning to stick to Florida all year round including the stifling summer months and breezy hurricane season.

In her own words from her FB "about" page- 

"I have been cycling competitively since the age of 16. At age 17, I was given a cycling scholarship to ride on a college team. During the next Summer in 2011, at the age of 18, I was hit from behind by a car traveling at 55 mph while riding my bike. My Dad, who was riding with me was also struck. I suffered a traumatic brain injury, spinal injury, broken leg, and numerous other tissue related injury. My Dad suffered a fractured spine. These injuries and resulting surgeries kept me from cycling on my college team and forced me in to a sedentary lifestyle for 2 years while my body tried to recover. It also greatly affected my entire family as my Dad was not able to go back to work. In 2015, in an effort to regain my fitness and reignite my cycling passion, my parents agreed to support me for a month while I rode 2,935 miles across the country solo on a bicycle. I successfully completed this attempt and returned home hungry for the next challenge.

I am now 23 years old. The UMCA Highest Annual Mileage Record was brought to my attention in late 2015. I feel that attempting this new record and at the same time breaking the documented world record set in 1938 might inspire others who have experienced similar setbacks in life. Recovering from a traumatic brain injury is no easy task but there is support available."

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #61 on: 19 May, 2016, 01:27:02 pm »
Oh My!  Nothing but impressive from this young lady.

Allez Amanda.

« Reply #62 on: 19 May, 2016, 01:35:29 pm »
I just realized that she left a few things out. Amanda's also been through shoulder reconstructive surgery, two clavicle surgeries, and heart surgery to repair a hole in her heart.

« Reply #63 on: 19 May, 2016, 05:08:29 pm »
Holy smokes!  :o

Wow, looking forward to watching Amanda's year.
Eddington Number 75

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #64 on: 19 May, 2016, 05:21:14 pm »
Crumbs!  Let's hope her body holds out for the year!  A very impressive start, with or without the broader context.
Getting there...

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #65 on: 21 May, 2016, 06:28:18 am »
What are the updates on this challenge?

Amanda could take the rest of the week off and still be on World Record pace.

« Reply #66 on: 21 May, 2016, 07:53:36 am »

Day 5 - 211miles, 11h11m moving time.

Day 6 - 231miles, 12h16m moving time.

« Reply #67 on: 21 May, 2016, 12:53:43 pm »

Amanda could take the rest of the week off and still be on World Record pace.

My (unofficial) numbers as of day 6-

1392.7 Total miles
232.1 Daily Average
906.1 Over Womans Record Avg pace
142.3 Over Men's Record Avg pace

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #68 on: 21 May, 2016, 01:01:13 pm »
what an impressive start!! go Amanda!

as for your and your dad's injuries - it's so sad.. big and long hug from me for your drive and determination.

« Reply #69 on: 21 May, 2016, 01:33:15 pm »
Yes very impressive, well done Amanda.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #70 on: 22 May, 2016, 08:10:17 am »
It is so refreshing to see a female attempt at a world record that ignores gender.

Some years ago when Paula Radcliffe was setting WR's, it was hypothesised that women marathon runners may be able to surpass the men.  Extrapolating from the reduction in women's WR marathon pace, it was possible to predict the year when they would beat the boys.  However, it seems that Paula's times were an anomaly.  The men kept on getting better, and the women haven't got close.

The arguments in favour of this gender neutrality (/advantage) were that the physiology women need to cope with extreme pain during childbirth might pre-suppose an advantage in endurance events.  It would be fascinating if Amanda could go further than Kurt and Steve.  Maybe even further than the great Tommy.

This would be the cat that put the pigeon into world sports.  What are the odds?  I reckon less than 5000 to 1.  Allez Amanda.

« Reply #71 on: 22 May, 2016, 08:31:03 am »
 A great big :thumbsup: to that!

red marley

« Reply #72 on: 22 May, 2016, 08:40:32 am »
I don't think pain tolerance is central to the challenge (although it can only help when things start hurting). Riders need a basic level of strength and aerobic fitness to be able to ride for long periods at 20mph, but unlike WR runners (even Marathon ones), they are not at their physical limits minute-by-minute. What will make or break an OYTT record attempt will be the endurance/recovery that will prevent longer term injuries from hampering progress. And critically, the mental fortitude to cope with 365 days of hard riding. For anyone who can pass the basic strength/fitness threshold, I don't see there is any reason to suppose a gender difference in the rest.

Gomanda!

« Reply #73 on: 22 May, 2016, 09:33:59 am »
Getting fairly warm in the Tampa/Flatwoods area now; 30-32C for next week+.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #74 on: 22 May, 2016, 09:49:52 am »
As we saw from Kurt, Steve, Miles and Bruce, so far the record attempts have largely been about management and luck. While all these guys are amazing athletes, it's probably not unreasonable to say there are faster, stronger riders around. So, as yet, the records haven't so much been about the limits of athletic ability as about time-, equipment- and injury-management. So the scope for improving the record is most certainly there, and it's quite possible that it isn't yet at a level where strength and speed are the ultimate determinants. Until they are, there's no reason why a woman shouldn't hold the overall record.

Actually, I think it's unlikely this record will ever attract the very strongest cyclists who could push it to the point where male/female differences become relevant. (And I think that point was discussed before). It's probably a little bit too far off the mainstream for that - thank goodness! If it ever did, it would be about interminable laps of an off-road flat circuit (a retired motor racing track, perhaps) and the spectator interest would be seriously limited!