Author Topic: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?  (Read 153577 times)

Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Reply #475 on: 18 November, 2018, 06:08:57 pm »
( Just found out from Strava Flyby that the ACME guys were Jan and Andrew riding the Meridian Hills. Twice as hilly as my ride - much respect! Don't know if they lurk here. )

They would be Grey Sheep and myself, Psyclist. We also had carlosfandango with us, but he'd managed to load an old version of the route on his GPS device, and had ended up ahead of us and waiting in Brighton, when we'd been waiting for him in Ditchling.

Lovely day for the Meridian Hills ride, a little fresh at the start and towards the end, but nothing to worry about at this time of year.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #476 on: 18 November, 2018, 08:11:40 pm »
Another great ride Yanto. Slightly worrying about the Duranos though as that’s what I have on at the moment. I cut the sidewall of one on the TINAT 600 so changed it, but otherwise no issues. Maybe it’s the speeds you get up to and the weight of your machine that give them a lot more stick than I would. Also missing potholes with all three wheels must be very tricky given the state of the roads.

Thanks Steve, I had a look at your route which I may pinch and modify a bit for my next RRTY ride.

As for the Duranos, yes they are loaded differently when cornering and tend to pick up knocks on the sidewalls on rough ground, and as you've correctly surmised on a rough road it can be a devil of a job picking 3 good lines.

As I understand it the problems with Duranos are peculiar to the 406 (20") size, I've had 4 go bang for no apparent reason!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #477 on: 18 November, 2018, 08:39:27 pm »
I gave up on 406 Duranos on Moultons a few years back but I don't know what would be a better velomobile choice.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #478 on: 19 November, 2018, 03:40:30 pm »
Went out on a DIY yesterday, a hilly 200km in the Lincolnshire Wolds; which included a couple of difficult climbs includng a trip up to Normanby-le-Wold - Lincolnshire's highest village.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1972607805
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #479 on: 27 November, 2018, 08:48:32 pm »
It's the last week of the month again. Time to get a ride in. I started planning a 200km route up through Monmouthshire into Herefordshire then down through that lovely bit just north of Gloucester, but I couldn't get it to the appropriate distance while going to the places I wanted to go to without also going to places I didn't want or taking wiggles for no point other than making up the distance, which I try to avoid on the whole. So I abandoned that and pulled one out of the archive. Probably just as well, because Herefordshire and Monmouthshire are both quite hilly and right now I'm almost as fit as Mr Blobby on a diet of Doritos.

Yesterday was sunny, dry, no wind. Not warm but not that cold either. Ideal winter riding conditions. Off to Burford I went via Coleshill and back through Cerney Wick. I'm sure I've described the route before, so I'll just comment on the things particular to this ride. Food is high on the list of every audaxer's interests, and the Summer Cafe in Malmesbury has been expanded. The service seems to have got a bit quicker too. Possibly slightly fewer types of cake available, but still a good selection. I seem to have finally found a decent way through Blunsdon on the outskirts of Swindon, avoiding the horrible rumble strips outside the school that spread for a couple of hundred metres in each direction but connecting with the foot and cycle bridge over the A419. Lots more building going on though so it might be different again next time I go that way.

A funny incident in a little cafe in Burford I've been to a few times. I was just tucking into my macaroni cheese when a man walked who was obviously selling something. He goes through his spiel, some sort of accounting system, to the woman there and asks if she's the owner. No, she says. He takes an email address and leaves. "I'd assumed you were the owner," I said when he'd left. "I am, but I wasn't going to tell him that, he'd never leave." It wasn't the tastiest macaroni cheese I've ever eaten but it certainly set me up nicely for the return half.

It was dark when I left Burford and I could feel the cold coming off the Windrush, and see the mist too! Some time later, near Malmesbury again, the moon came up behind me, a great orange ball looking as if there were a major fire on the eastern horizon. Later, at the top of Westerleigh Hill on the road between Tormarton and Bristol, there was a tanker behind me as we approached the lights at the crossroads (left for Pucklechurch, right for Westerleigh village and Yate, I was going straight on down the hill). For some reason, it didn't overtake me on the flat straight bit at the top of the hill but followed me down the hill, which isn't long but is fairly steep and has a couple of nice bends. This was just the incentive to ensure I went down in an aero tuck with no braking for the corners!

The cycle path into the centre of Bristol was somehow devoid of drinkers, glue sniffers, graffiti artists and even dog walkers – too cold for them all? – leaving only cyclists to enjoy the night (some enjoying it to the full by not contributing to light pollution). And then I got home and made a cup of tea.  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #480 on: 01 December, 2018, 07:49:13 pm »
Thought I'd spotted a weather window between the low pressure systems queueing up in the Atlantic so cadged a lift to the Toon with Mrs. Jonjo and had a ride up to Bamburgh and then back down to Co. Durham.

It was a ride of three halves. The first being a steady but easy ride to Bamburgh, the second a headwind and rain soaked plod to Morpeth (so much for the weather window) and the third a trek through the teatime purgatory of Tyneside Christmas shopping traffic. Thought I'd never get home.

Highlight was the bit between Seahouse and Bamburgh with the view in front being Bamburgh castle and Lindisfarne and over to the right the Farne Islands. Marvellous even on a gloomy day.

Anyroad, could be onto a RRtY attempt. January is looking congested but I'm retiring in early February so will be able to pick easier days to ride.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

bairn again

« Reply #481 on: 01 December, 2018, 10:01:02 pm »
I took advantage of reasonable weather to bag a 200.

Id been out for dinner last night so a super early start was out the question.  Managed to leave Edinburgh at 0730 so the first 45 mins or so were in darkness.  Sunnrise didnt add much light as it was quite heavily overcast.  Id not been out much lately so knew it was not going to be a quick un.  Leg 1 of 70km to Perth was completed at 22kph but Id still not established which way the wind was coming from, in reality it was very light.

I set off from Perth after a huge breakfast and it got brighter briefly but I was heading west into very heavy clouds.  The rain started before Crieff and while not heavy it was persistent and added to the big puddles on the road I felt very wet. 

I shunned the right turn to Comrie High Street as I wasnt hungry at all.  The climb over Langside was very slow, lack of fitness really tells on my climbing even if i can still roll on the flat relatively unimpaired.  As I approached Dunblane I knew Id need to buy batteries for my gps so stopped at the shop at Causewayhead, even if I didnt need to eat at Corrieris next door (I told you it was a big breakfast).

Also, it was after 1400 now and I still had 65km to go and less than 2 hours light.  I toyed with going via Airth the slightly faster way but I decided to tour home on the north side cyclepaths.  Rain was coming and going but it wasnt particularly cold. 

It got dark around Culross so 30km to go but it hadnt got that bright at any stage so I was acclimatised.  It felt like a NW tailwaind at this stage which cheered me.  I started feeling a bit queasy so stopped for a banana.  I stopped 5 minutes later then 5 minutes after that had to swap my USB powered front light.  I stopped to put my small digital radio away after that, chuffed that my team had won 3-2 at Inverness with a last minute goal. Faffage deluxe!

A wee pootle through Dalmeny and onto the bike path I was almost home. 

Turning into the house I was a wafer thin 0.1 over 200k and was 10h 30mns

Job done, a hard old slog probably due to my lack of fitness than the wintery conditions.   

No cycling for many weekends now!

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/29925248

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #482 on: 01 December, 2018, 11:37:42 pm »
Yet another DIYxGPS. This time a rather chilly one sarf of the river down into the wilds of Angus. Here be bears or glamorous cyclists or something. Both were equally apparent :-)

Not much wildlife to report: a kestrel, quite a few buzzards and loadsa geese.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #483 on: 02 December, 2018, 10:11:08 am »
Half a dozen of us did a Continental jaunt yesterday. I nipped down to Portsmouth on the train after work and met up with a few folk riding down. Overnight ferry to St Malo, rolled past Mont St Michel and assorted Normandy and back to Auld Blighty on the Caen overnight ferry. December PRoFS in the bag.

Most of us hit the train back to That London this morning and HK and I are currently on the Metropolitan, so that we can drop stuff at home before sitting down for the Marlboro's Christmas lunch. Such social butterflies!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #484 on: 04 December, 2018, 03:12:43 pm »
Took on the Kingdom come on Saturday.

Early doors train (0625) north to Stonehaven from Dundee  to meet iroiromono and we were on our way at 0731; visibility improved in front of us as we climbed the Slug with an orange glow over the sea behind.

Into Banchory with no pressing need for a feed, we were offered christmas trees by some peddler who wasn't considering portage options carefully.
Reasonably quiet along the A93 to Ballater and still not hunger so we took the Pass and carried onto the 2nd option of our control at Braemar where breakfast was consumed, i was much disappointed with their failure to sell native meat sausage so stuck with a link, egg and black pudding roll, perhaps excessive given what lay ahead.

GPS devices were on charge already with the battery life significantly reduced with freezing air temperatures, taking the gold course route out of Braemar to Fraser's bridge then finally the summit where we paused for a quick shop at the café and prepared for the first real descent of the day.
A good plunge into Perthshire opting to pass on a chance to visit a mate in Bridge of Cally as our average was a bit low for comfort, stopped in Sainsburys in Blairgowrie for a top up of sweets and down to Perth in the only busy traffic of the day on the A93 to Scone and a petrol station feed/control in Perth as it got dark.

Over "Glenfarg" and into the disconnected part of McDuff's Fife was pretty quiet, and we shot through Kinross taking little notice of the Christmas lights or Central Chip Shop.
Into "Modern" Fife now I missed the first two turns into Kelty but thankfully not the last so missed the chance to take in the sights of Cowdenbeath High Street, past Slim Jim's statute which I'd never seen lit up before (I wouldn't normally have my self in Hill of Beath after dark) and rolled up to the corner store in Crossgates, reminding myself to forget my teachers insistence that the number between Two and Four is Three I guarded the bikes while Robbie obtained a receipt and then swapped roles.

Halbeath McDonalds was calling before picking up the Creiff road in the center of town, possibly a mistake as the number of traffic lights meant slow progress, the Knockhill road was deserted and I don't remember seeing much until we rolled into Auchterarder though that could be due to the mist.

We just caught the Auchterarder Co-Op in time to stock up for the night ahead and opted to take a route through Perth to the next control at Coupar Angus due to the lack of anything open anywhere else particularly at the other control option of Stanley which has no external ATM either.
Forteviot Level Crossing to Perth is a horrid slog, one to remember for the Auld Alliance! and then we made a miss-turn in Perth taking Cavendish Avenue rather than staying on the Glasgow Road, though I note if we'd take 1 junction earlier by mistake we'd have been on "Needless Road"

Kicking out time in Perth had a few drunks staggering around and some in Scone thought they'd be able to run alongside us Tour De France style...

Coupar angus and the feared problem presented itself, the only outside ATM is a Notemachine with an obscure code representing it rather than name and location; photographic proof taken as additional evidence and out into the darkness on a deserted A94 to Forfar McDonalds, and utter carnage as a busload of pissed teenagers just back from the Dundee clubs prevented the hoped for snooze.

The ride out to Montrose and then Stonehaven was punctuated with an occasional need to rest and snooze but finally the sun started to rise over our right sholders as we left Inverbervie, a photogenic orange glow in the clouds unfortunately turned to daylight proper before we reached Dunottar castle or the War Memorial.

We rolled into Stonehaven as the hordes* of Aberdeen fans prepared to set off for the League Cup final in Glasgow, an amazingly I manged to get on the first train where I promptly fell asleep with my head on the bike carrier bar.

Just need a couple of 200s now to keep on target.

* About 50

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #485 on: 09 December, 2018, 11:39:19 pm »
Back out again today; this time a 200 DIY.
A variation on a route I've started to call "Moulin Rouge"

From Newport-On-Tay along the tay coast to Bridge of Earn then along to Auchterarder before climbing via Kinky (Kinkell) Bridge to Buchanty in Glen Almond on the very edge of the Scottish Lowlands.
Into the Highlands through the Sma' Glen and then up to Amulree, not needing the distance of Glen Quaich it's a down a bit before turning over Griffin to Aberfeldy.

Leaving Aberfeldy a loud bang and lots of clunking presented me with a second broken spoke on my Hunt rear wheel, this time it was drive side (last time disc side) and again the failure was at the nipple, I've no idea where the nipple has gone though, I'll look at it properly tomorrow.
Zip tied the flailing spoke to its neighbour and decided I'd rather not risk messing with the threads of other spokes to give a truer wheel, it wobbled quite far but didn't hit the frame thankfully.

Along to Ballinluig and I bloody hate the Dalcapon road a needless climb and descent; the Pitlochry control is going back in eventhough I think Edradour is a better route onto the Moulin.
Over the moulin and into darkness, went the bridge of Cally way this time and as I had Kirkmichael as a control I didn't have Alyth, I probably should have gone to Meigle via Coupar Angus as the Netherton road is a bit to bitty to Alyth, though I stopped and topped my drinks up there.

Then it's just a blast to Newtyle and the hardly noticeable climb up to Auchterhouse before the descent and reclimb to the start of Dundee at the summit between Templeton and Camperdown woods.
Plunge down to Lochee taking in a few of the "Circles" and avoiding the "Cundies" dundee is famous for before the last plunge down Lochee Road onto the Inner Ring, through the tunnel to the docks and then over the bridge and home.

This route probably best lives up to its name in Autumn when the Perthshire Amber at it's greatest.

« Reply #486 on: 10 December, 2018, 09:37:54 am »
A hilly 200k DIY yesterday  (7,000' of climbing).  I set off in the early hours to get through the urban delights of Chester-le-street, Gateshead and Newcastle before the traffic started.  By sunrise I was high up on the military road (built beside, or in some stretches on top, of Hadrian's wall).  A few ups and downs to Corbridge and then Haydon Bridge.  Then the long haul up Allendale and after a much needed cafe stop, the steep climb up the B road and over to Cowshill.

I was struggling to keep within time after walking a few sections because of black ice, fortunately once the sun was up it cleared the roads for the rest of the trip.  Gained some time on the easy run down Weardale, to Durham City.  Then back home.  Some interesting wildlife.  Three deer crossed the road just in front of me.  A barn owl flew alongside for a few minutes, hunting in the verge beside the road.  And the dawn chorus as the birds woke up.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #487 on: 10 December, 2018, 11:20:44 am »
I thought i'd better get this months RRTY in early, before the festivities take over every weekend in December.

I spent Saturday night at my parents house in S.Lanarkshire, so had a leisurely 08.30 start on Sunday morning.

The plan was to head South down the B7076 'Link Road' to Ecclefechan, about turn and re-trace to Moffat, then Peebles and home.

The forecasted Northerly didn't appear until around 11am, by which point i'd already climbed Beattock summit and had my second breakfast at Johnstone Bridge services, but it was sunny for December.

With the completion of the Clyde Windfarm, there's been lot's of re-surfacing work done on the B7076 between Abington and Greenhillstairs.  Unfortunatley the surface on the rest of the road leaves a lot to be desired.  I wonder what effects this winter will have on it.

A quick stop at the shop in Ecclefechan for some water and I was on my way north again, wishing I had plotted my mandatory route to turn at the roundabout north of the village, rather than suffer the climb back out.  One to remember for the future.

The head wind didn't get much above 10kmph, but i could see my average speed slowly reducing.

By now it was 1pm, so lunch at the Rumblin' Tum in Moffat seemed like a good idea before tackling the Devils Beeftub.  It's not the steepest climb in the area, but at 10km in length it does take a while to reach the sumit.

Fortunately, it's all down hill from there to my turn at Drumelzier and my average speed had crept back above 22kmph.

A quick call to the Mrs at Peebles to tell her i'd be home by 6, and I was on my way again, whishing i'd chosen the A72 rather than the back road.

Home in just under 10hrs, not bad for a winter 200

@CorbieLinnRider

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #488 on: 10 December, 2018, 11:40:18 am »

The plan was to head South down the B7076 'Link Road'.

Masochist!

bairn again

« Reply #489 on: 22 December, 2018, 10:13:39 pm »
I decided to take advantage of reasonably benign weather to do a 200k arrow from Edinburgh to Stonehaven.

It was raing as I had breakfast at 7am but it had eased by the time I left.

My optimistic plan featured a 10 hr ride meaning just over an hour in the dark at the finish.  That plan bumped up against the reality of a serious knee injury 6 weeks ago that had enforced rest and corresponding weight gain.  Throw in the cold and its a recipe for a long day out.

The industrial badlands in Fife look the same in colour and black and white and I only ever feel like Im in the country by Kinross around 40km.  The descent of Glenfarg was as cold as ever and I was glad to be out in the watery sunshine by Bridge of Earn. 

Breakfast was enjoyed at Perth and I was on the quiet lanes towards Forfar soon enough.  I started feeling really weary well before Forfar and decided to go via McDs for a feed.  In summer, this would be my 1st and only main stop on a ride like this. 

I felt better after that and made good ground to Montrose and had my left ear tuned into R5L for the football.   I noticed the cars had their headlights on around Marykirk 160km so I stopped to pop my lights on.  I discovered I had something of a problem in that my best front light (USB based) was almost out of juice and my alternative battery light and headtorch weren't brilliant.  At this point I wished Id put my hub front light on the bike.

I started slowing up significantly at this point and realised that a 10hr finish was somewhat optimistic. 

The final 20k is a bit up and down and I grovelled up and and trundled down each one.  The full moon was out now and the road was mint blue and I was absolutely freezing!!

I rolled into Stonehaven about 1750 and made a beeline for The Station Hotel to get changed (Id taken clothes with me) and a quick pint before the train home.  I slept pretty much all the way to Haymarket and on waking up I checked my phone to see that Mrs BA was waiting for me with a lovely warm car.  Boom!

A tough old day on the bike but it should stand me in good stead on other occasions when the going gets tough. 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/30362553

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #490 on: 24 December, 2018, 10:27:40 am »
I decided to take advantage of reasonably benign weather to do a 200k arrow from Edinburgh to Stonehaven...

Nice. I rode to Stoney on Saturday as well, but I got home before dark  ;) I walked the last 2km due to a puncture, thobut.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #491 on: 24 December, 2018, 11:12:21 am »
Was out yesterday,

Been toying with loops of the Ochils but still not quite got one I like so dug out "Aberfoyle and Back"
Riding my heavy 26" touring bike due to being the most suitable of working bikes (usual bike has issues with both wheels... that'll teach me to fix the first broken wheel before I break the other), and the fact that even after a year and a half it still rolled out the stand.

Forecast had been for 5 degrees overnight but I woke to shiny roads and cold crisp air, lumping the bike up out the village onto the Gauldry climb I realized I hadn't set the light up particularly well and I had a great view of the top of my bar bag...
Painfully slow up to Hazleton with the odd bit of wheel slip and my average was below minimum and cautious descending of the coast road still saw me getting all sorts out of shape in places.

Relieved to hit the A912 at Newburgh I had it almost to myself and should have known to just blat into Bridge of Earn but auto pilot had me sideways on the Dron road.  Light finally arrived in the sky and I could now at least see the ice.  Average was picking up as I joined the Dunning road but the sharp bumps catch you out a bit.
Auchterarder was getting busy and I stopped to scoff my first roll at the summit just past the "posh" hotel named after a neighbouring glen on the Braco road.

Finally started to enjoy the ride at Braco, a low cloud sat over Sheriffmuir but the strong sun made a photo difficult, on through Kinbuck and Dunblane, the Main road to Doune was comfortable enough, the road to Thornhill starts lumpy but then eventually gets mostly downhill to help on the small bumps at the end of the Laich, Braeval was hidden by cloud but I could now see my lunch stop. 

Plenty of other cyclists around there and a TT'er even said hi and asked where I was heading!

At Aberfoyle I decided to bump the café and scoffed another roll along with the fruits of a co-op raid.

Back on the road the ride along the Laich back to Doune always seems much faster than outbound despite being uphill, the junction at Doune is always a pain on the return but again nice and quiet into Dunblane.  Slow going up to Kinbuck and Braco and then confused myself as to where I was and started to think I was on my way to Comrie, that would have been half a disaster.

Back at the hotel I stopped to eat the last roll and noticed that someone had put Eagles on their excessive drive gates, perhaps they don't know the neighbouring glen is of the Chapels (Eaglais) not Eagles (Iloaire) before bombing down to Dunning, starting to get dark again and by Kintilo I was back at minimal visibility; decided to attempt a bodge but my head torch isn't bright enough to help much, thankfully the road edges are well defined. Back along the taycoast and finally at Newburgh where the Turkey on the Christmas lights amused me.

Thankfully this side of the climb to Hazelton  is much smoother if a bit more bitty going than the Gauldry side and managed a reasonable pace up the 3 stages of the climb, and finally the descent home, which due to lack of light was a bit of a brake fest.

Just a tad over distance...
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/30381386

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #492 on: 24 December, 2018, 10:10:15 pm »
did the first day of the festive500, a loop from london to oxford, cambridge and back to london, 344km. first time i've ridden through... marsh gibbon!!

need to do a hundred-miler tomorrow and the challenge will be completed.

« Reply #493 on: 25 December, 2018, 03:27:46 pm »
Superb stuff zigzag! I have a vague plan of how to achieve a festive 500, but there'll be an element of luck involved as I'm working every day but one between now and new year's day, including today. (sympathy gratefully received!) Lots of commuting and a 200 on my day off might just see me over the line, but the missus will take some cajoling!

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #494 on: 27 December, 2018, 09:13:31 am »
Tell her it will increase your life expectancy which means more joyous years together !
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #495 on: 27 December, 2018, 09:56:54 am »
did the first day of the festive500, a loop from london to oxford, cambridge and back to london, 344km. first time i've ridden through... marsh gibbon!!

need to do a hundred-miler tomorrow and the challenge will be completed.

Wow !!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #496 on: 31 December, 2018, 12:06:16 pm »
A pleasant, flat 200 to finish the year on Saturday. I even had a following wind half the way round. Rode straight through Malmesbury, resisting the temptations of the Summer Cafe (why is it called that? it's open all year) and up the twisty little hill to Milbourne, where a roe deer was lying dead on the verge of someone's garden. Thought about pushing on to Lechlade but stopped in Cricklade – soup made from various root veg, very seasonal, cake, always good – then using the handy path alongside the slip road to cross the A417, a road which has strangely never had the (M) added to its number. It then feels like ten miles riding along the perimeter of Fairford air base – all the lanes round there are marked with double yellows, presumably to ward off feral plane spotters – before coming to the edge of the Water Park, where there was a "white road" I wanted to try. It turned out to be rather muddy, but fortunately it wasn't claggy mud – I was to have plenty of that later on. Lots of rather smart "waterside living" going up here. In and out of Lechlade in no time, riding out past the house with the Winged Wheel – presumably it used to be a hotel or inn or something. Then along a narrow lane with a weak bridge sign, past an old mill and more flat lanes heading east.

Which brought me to Langford and the lost man. Last time I was here, there had been a box of windfall apples on a garden wall. I had a look as I rode past but they'd all gone. I did notice that the house was called Lime Tree House – would I have been so happy to see windfall limes? I can't remember the name of the pub there, but it seems very busy, always lots of people around it whenever I pass. On this occasion there was a man of I would guess mid-fifties standing outside in maroon trousers, hiking boots with yellow bands round the ankles and blue hair. The lost man was of far more conventional appearance. He was staring at the signpost in the middle of the village, carrying two rucksacks. "Are you lost?" "Yes. I'm looking for – " and he named a place in a bit of a Spanish accent. He spelled it out and I still couldn't make it out, but he had it written down – Ansel's Farm. "I don't know where it is but if it's a farm it's not going to be in the village itself." "I came in a taxi, the GPS said it was here." I advised him to try the pub.

Not long after that I had to cross the A420, which I anticipated could take a while. I was glad to get there while it was still daylight. In fact I didn't even have to stop – no traffic at all! I now started heading more or less west. Half way round, or a bit more – feels good! There was a tower with a curious white light on top visible off to my right. I wondered if it could be something to do with navigation for Fairford or Brize Norton, but it was probably a little hill outside Faringdon called Cromwell's Battery. A civil war battle? Then stopped in Shrivenham at the Co-op for a sandwich and a yogurt, remembering shopping there in the summer when on my way to camping at Uffington.

Mud came back with a vengeance in Blunsdon, real claggy stuff this time and I spent ages trying to dig it out of my mudguards and pedals. Seeing as SPDs were invented for mountain bikers, how come they get jammed by mud so easily? And how come it's the right pedal that jams when my left foot is my putting-down foot?

Having finally cleared all that, all went smoothly until just before Little Somerford, way on the home side of Swindon now. I could see on my Garmin a left turn coming up, then suddenly I'd overshot it. How did I miss it? Retrace and... where is it? Turned out Ride with GPS had routed me through someone's garden! Looking at the OS map now I can see a footpath there and a private drive through Dauntsey Park. I'm not sure which I was meant to take but I couldn't even see the first in the dark, let alone ride it, and the second is private and gated. So I followed the road into Little Somerford and on to rejoin the route in Great Somerford.

Where I met the police! I stopped in the pub there for a cup of tea and a snack – very quiet, only five people there including me at 8pm on a Saturday – when the police drove up, parking in front of my bike in order to guard it. Then they talked to the chef about some incident earlier – I don't know what, so no gory details. They were, of course, ridiculously impressed at the idea of riding to Bristol.

Nothing more happened apart from fog, which was pretty thick especially at the top of Hinton Hill, making the steep, narrow descent quite attention-demanding. Then I got home and there were potatoes and mushrooms out in the kitchen but I didn't feel like eating anything. Woke up the next morning thinking how good those mushrooms would be with scrambled eggs for breakfast – and they were gone! Mrs Cudzo had got up before me (as she almost always does, tbf) and eaten them! Still, there was a very nice banana and walnut cake.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #497 on: 02 January, 2019, 08:42:08 pm »
Another month, another DIYxGPS. A fairly dull route, but it did the job. Up early and out with the gritters  :) A bit ruddy chilly, started at 2°C, ended at -2°C in Netherley. Spotted a dead fox  :( , a several of buzzards, a kestrel and a couple of brown hares.

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
« Reply #498 on: 02 January, 2019, 09:38:33 pm »
Yesterday's DIY 200 has become my standard to the extent I used the GPS to record the ride but not for navigation. 
Not sure why it is chosen so often (~50%?), probably due to the stunning open spaces and lack of traffic in Wiltshire.

Wondered if others have a preference for the tried and trusted, or are you continually seeking novelty / variety?

I admit I have to distract my mind from the upcoming hill(s), but I am relaxed knowing there are no nasty surprises!
It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #499 on: 02 January, 2019, 10:09:43 pm »
I haven't repeated a DIY route yet but they've all been enjoyable in their own way. I always keep my routesheets from DIYs so I'm planning to tweak old ones to pick up some new Veloviewer tiles but end up in the same destination town e.g. Kings Lynn.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000