Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 175981 times)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #300 on: 06 March, 2017, 09:13:42 pm »
I pap'ed Steve this evening in Dry Drayton just north of Cambridge — Go Steve!

No flash used, for obvious reasons, so it's a bit murky.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #301 on: 07 March, 2017, 09:22:30 am »
Murky?

Atmospheric..
Getting there...

« Reply #302 on: 07 March, 2017, 10:32:06 am »
Whatever happened to the daily, "It's x a.m. and the tracker shows he's off." threads? ; )

« Reply #303 on: 07 March, 2017, 10:50:21 am »
I've knocked something up on the tracking front using Steve's spot feed: http://frrt.org/tg/. I'm splitting his track each midnight and treating each day as a separate 'rider', so the list linked at the top of that page acts as a kind of archive. By default that map only shows the current day to make it readable, and there is another view here which you might prefer: http://frrt.org/tg/r/1-steve/map.

Note that I'm a bit scuppered with map choices at the moment, so this is limited to OSM currently, as most providers (google, mapbox) explicitly exclude live tracking of 'assets' on their free plans. Working towards producing my own, as tired of trying navigate all the T&Cs of the current offerings, but this is still a little way off.

The spot feed only went back to Sunday when I started logging, if anyone is wondering where Saturday is - I was out on my new bike!
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #305 on: 07 March, 2017, 11:18:14 am »
Nice work Ivan - appreciated

« Reply #306 on: 07 March, 2017, 11:52:49 am »

The spot feed only went back to Sunday when I started logging, if anyone is wondering where Saturday is - I was out on my new bike!

I've got this as a single JSON file if it helps.

« Reply #307 on: 07 March, 2017, 12:11:39 pm »
I've got this as a single JSON file if it helps.

Yes, if you want to PM me a link or something, I'll add it at some point for the sake of completeness.

« Reply #308 on: 07 March, 2017, 03:57:44 pm »
Nice work Ivan - appreciated

PLUS ONE . good work Ivan
What was his mileage Monday?

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #309 on: 07 March, 2017, 06:07:02 pm »
Brilliant  :thumbsup:  Thank you Ivan.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #310 on: 07 March, 2017, 06:43:08 pm »
with time so precious in this challenge i wonder what can be optimised to save more of it. one minute saved per riding hour compounds to almost a week* in a year. if the weather is nice like today, i'm thinking why carry the big bag on the rack? maybe one of the bikes could have mudguards and rack removed, wheels built with aero spokes (if not already), now that Steve's ligher - tighter fitting clothes. these seem such an easy wins, and still within the spirit of Tommy.

* assuming 15hrs of riding: 15min/day = 91hr/yr = 6d

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #311 on: 07 March, 2017, 07:13:23 pm »
one minute saved per riding hour compounds to almost a week* in a year.

I hadn't thought about it like that before but you're right: 60 minutes in an hour, 52 week in a year.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #312 on: 07 March, 2017, 07:35:19 pm »
The thing to remember is that he has almost no spare time OFF the bike. So every time-saving-genius-idea needs to be cost-effective on those terms. (I'm not saying that NO idea is a good idea! Just that there is rarely such thing as a free lunch.)

Unless you have unlimited, technically competent man-power to hand, then every trick that complicates logistics has a time cost. (From trivial things like arranging all the bikes in the shed/spare-bedroom, upwards ... )

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #313 on: 07 March, 2017, 07:37:36 pm »
I think you'll find that the bag would need to contain quiet a bit of food as the amount Steve is stopping would be insufficient to buy and consume food at point of purchase. Given Steve's speed compared to Amanda's he has little time in his schedule to stop.

In ride food isn't an issue for Amanda as she sensibly is being give hand ups of food and drink to eat whilst riding plus her help can have food ready to eat for a quick lunch stop of say 30 mins.

If Steve is able to go faster using a circuit with food hand ups plus prepared lunch would be the way forward. He could then use a super light bike.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

« Reply #314 on: 07 March, 2017, 07:48:29 pm »
Hello Everyone,

Just to let you all know in case you were not already aware Steven welcomes people to ride with him during this record attempt. He is keen to entice as many people as possible out on their bikes to pedal the miles towards either the `sweat pledge` campaign set up by Kajsa after her recent world record achievement or points towards Audax.

Steven has a number of routes he will be using throughout the attempt (detailed on his website www.oneyeartimetrial.com) and all these have been validated by him with points available to you for distances ridden from 100km+

Do please spread the word to as many people as you can and try your best to accompany him out on the open road offering encouragement as the miles tick by.

If you have any general questions feel free to send an email to pujut6@gmail.com and yours truly will do his best to answer it or I will forward to another member of Stevens support team.

The key message here is spread the word far and wide about Stevens attempt and join him on the road as often as you can.

Many Thanks

Phil W

« Reply #315 on: 07 March, 2017, 07:48:49 pm »

91 hours equals a little under 4 days but I get the principle.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #316 on: 07 March, 2017, 07:49:58 pm »

91 hours equals a little under 4 days but I get the principle.

If it's a 15 hour day, it's 6 extra days' riding.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #317 on: 07 March, 2017, 07:53:34 pm »
I think you'll find that the bag would need to contain quiet a bit of food as the amount Steve is stopping would be insufficient to buy and consume food at point of purchase. Given Steve's speed compared to Amanda's he has little time in his schedule to stop.

In ride food isn't an issue for Amanda as she sensibly is being give hand ups of food and drink to eat whilst riding plus her help can have food ready to eat for a quick lunch stop of say 30 mins.

If Steve is able to go faster using a circuit with food hand ups plus prepared lunch would be the way forward. He could then use a super light bike.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

http://www.gpxeditor.co.uk/routes2/users/SteveFerry/TeethgrinderLoopv1 loop could be used in the way HK suggests. Small and helpers could ride to help into the wind and pass Steve food as required. If this was organised on say a Sunday then there could be time for people to get organised and come and help. Once the idea has been proved I an sure people would flock to the Steve days.  :thumbsup:

Steve
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #318 on: 07 March, 2017, 08:27:56 pm »
Steve rode across my headlights about 7:30 this evening in Ely, looking steady.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #319 on: 07 March, 2017, 08:52:57 pm »
Not literally I hope :facepalm: ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #320 on: 07 March, 2017, 09:02:10 pm »
Not literally I hope :facepalm: ;D

I was at a T-Junction pulling out of a car park, saw the bike light coming towards me.

As he passed I thought "tri-bars, this late at night, and an aero helmet? Ah, Steve"
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #321 on: 07 March, 2017, 11:02:08 pm »
I'm not sure I'm enjoying this.  It's 11 o'clock at night and he's still 15-20 miles from home.   :(

*Gets all paternal*. Go STEVE!   :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #322 on: 08 March, 2017, 06:52:32 am »
Hello Everyone,

Just to let you all know in case you were not already aware Steven welcomes people to ride with him during this record attempt. He is keen to entice as many people as possible out on their bikes to pedal the miles towards either the `sweat pledge` campaign set up by Kajsa after her recent world record achievement or points towards Audax.

Steven has a number of routes he will be using throughout the attempt (detailed on his website www.oneyeartimetrial.com) and all these have been validated by him with points available to you for distances ridden from 100km+

Do please spread the word to as many people as you can and try your best to accompany him out on the open road offering encouragement as the miles tick by.

If you have any general questions feel free to send an email to pujut6@gmail.com and yours truly will do his best to answer it or I will forward to another member of Stevens support team.

The key message here is spread the word far and wide about Stevens attempt and join him on the road as often as you can.

Many Thanks

I see the website as http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/

« Reply #323 on: 08 March, 2017, 08:02:43 am »
Yes the One year time trial website has been significantly updated. 

« Reply #324 on: 08 March, 2017, 08:29:22 am »
251 yesterday with a further 17 added after midnight.   Maybe sets up a later start and shorter Wednesday to avoid the wetness? (although wet and mild is not too bad for this time of year I guess)