Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 175280 times)

Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #1000 on: 14 April, 2018, 09:35:13 pm »

Plenty? Out of 250 million how many do you think? A few thousand at best IMO.

y'know, that's really uncalled for. Whether you meant it that way or not it comes over as denigrating what is truly an astonishing accomplishment, which I'm sure you didn't mean to. You have no ***** idea how many have now heard of her - a simple google shows her story was picked up by just about every cycling site, and many sporting sites. You live in the US these days? Any idea if she's been on local TV, radio?

Samuel D

« Reply #1001 on: 15 April, 2018, 10:17:15 am »
Besides, who’s to say she did it for fame? Whosatthewheel’s question – why? – is churlish and anyway trite. It could be applied to everything anyone has ever done.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #1002 on: 15 April, 2018, 10:45:30 am »
Back to AC... I don't think she did it because she wanted to loop a circuit for 12+ hours a day for 365 consecutive days... clearly she did it because she wanted that record. Why people want records? You can find a million reasons, but ultimately they all boil down to fame and notoriety, which on occasions can be turned into cash, on others less so.
What I said earlier is that the return on investment for that particular effort is pretty poor. A greater level of notoriety (and more money?) can be achieved without the need to invest so much time. This is a fact, I don't think you can realistically argue with that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1003 on: 15 April, 2018, 11:14:10 am »
This is a fact, I don't think you can realistically argue with that.

Maybe, just maybe, there are alternative facts...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1004 on: 15 April, 2018, 11:19:23 am »
Back to AC... I don't think she did it because she wanted to loop a circuit for 12+ hours a day for 365 consecutive days... clearly she did it because she wanted that record. Why people want records? You can find a million reasons, but ultimately they all boil down to fame and notoriety, which on occasions can be turned into cash, on others less so.
What I said earlier is that the return on investment for that particular effort is pretty poor. A greater level of notoriety (and more money?) can be achieved without the need to invest so much time. This is a fact, I don't think you can realistically argue with that.

You don't have the faintest idea about Amanda's motivation, do you, so I really have no idea why you are persisting with this line of thought, which I for one find dismissive and slightly offensive.
The sound of one pannier flapping

LMT

« Reply #1005 on: 15 April, 2018, 11:23:47 am »

What utter bollox - seriously. Why the hell does there need to be something tangible in terms of a ROI.

Think Mastercard advert from back in the day...

« Reply #1006 on: 16 April, 2018, 10:46:30 am »
Why people want records? You can find a million reasons, but ultimately they all boil down to fame and notoriety, which on occasions can be turned into cash, on others less so.

Nope.

« Reply #1007 on: 16 April, 2018, 11:07:06 am »
"Why do you want to climb Mount Everest?"

"Because it is there."

whosatthewheel

« Reply #1008 on: 16 April, 2018, 11:11:10 am »
"Why do you want to climb Mount Everest?"

"Because it is there."

Sure,
Why do you want your climb to be officially recognised, so that everybody is aware? If there was no official or indeed unofficial record of who has climbed which mountain and by which route, how many would climb mountains?

I take for granted that the challenge is a very personal thing, but ultimately the desire to make the challenge "official" is down to the desire to see it recognised by others... public, peers... others

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that

« Reply #1009 on: 16 April, 2018, 11:12:57 am »
You really don't understand.  The overwhelming majority of those who 'climb mountains' literally do it for the personal challenge and not for fame, glory nor wealth.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #1010 on: 16 April, 2018, 11:16:05 am »
You really don't understand.  The overwhelming majority of those who 'climb mountains' literally do it for the personal challenge and not for fame, glory nor wealth.
I do understand that people do things for passion.
With that in mind, when someone attempts to climb the Eiger in under 2 hours, he does so to set a new record and all of the above applies

« Reply #1011 on: 16 April, 2018, 12:15:28 pm »
Going for a record and having it recognised is as much about maintaining a record as it is about breaking it. Records are just that, recordings of events. If Kurt and Amanda kept their efforts quiet, everyone would think that I rode the 2nd greatest distance in a year. I'd rather be a more honest 4th than a dishonorable 2nd. I went for the record because I wanted to be the person who had cycled the most miles in a year. Any other gains are a bonus and I will capitalise and benefit from them as much as I can and that extends beyond financial gain. I think I'd be a fool not to.
Publicity isn't just for record attempts. Sports Relief is a good example.

« Reply #1012 on: 27 April, 2018, 11:57:13 pm »
Great talk from Steve at Skelwith Bridge this evening (great food and venue too). Some really interesting insights that he was able to bring with a bit of reflection as well as some moving moments. YACF gets plenty of mentions too. I'd recommend it if you can make it to one of his other planned talks on his record attempts (Clitheroe on Saturday and a few others planned I believe).

« Reply #1013 on: 28 April, 2018, 08:07:18 am »
I'm at Monday's in Sowerby Bridge - looking forward to it.

« Reply #1014 on: 28 April, 2018, 10:31:49 am »
I was at the Banff Mountain Film Festival event in Dorking last night. One of the films was about a chap whose aim was to skin up and ski down two and a half million vertical feet in a calendar year. That's 6850' every day, or 2090m.

He did it, but suffered from patches of over training, a fall resulting in a broken hand. A fascinating watch.

It would be fun to put him and Steve into the same room for a bit.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1015 on: 28 April, 2018, 02:01:01 pm »
...aim was to skin up and ski down two and a half million vertical feet

Many a plan has been hatched in that way.

« Reply #1016 on: 01 May, 2018, 02:20:26 pm »

DC, were you sat on the back row?

« Reply #1017 on: 02 May, 2018, 12:15:18 am »

DC, were you sat on the back row?

Nope, front row and I asked the last question.

Where were you?

« Reply #1018 on: 02 May, 2018, 03:53:31 am »
Ah!  I was standing at the back (mostly) and asked the question about whether or not Steve was concerned that some of us were anxious about his health.