Author Topic: 2023 Wessex SR  (Read 9808 times)

2023 Wessex SR
« on: 25 February, 2023, 11:29:25 am »
Sitting here with a broken rib and a cold and I've just slipped and sprayed the entry forms with the paypal moneygun. Looks like we're going to target the Wessex SR series this year. I've ridden Hard Boiled and Porkers (after Cymru) before but my partner in grime has not, so she's in for a treat. I never knew about the 300/200 double in the past, so I've entered that and I've had Brimstone on my todo list forever so that's got my name down.

Who else is doing the series? Anyone likely to be firing GPX files around for it? Any tips and tricks appreciated. (mods, feel free to merge with an existing Wessex SR thread, I only saw two older ones)

*starts crash diet*

parkysouthlondon

• PBP (11,15,19,23), 1001Miglia (2021), TCRNo8(2022)
    • SWRC FB
Re: 2023 Wessex SR
« Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2023, 08:45:09 pm »
I’ve entered the series and am giving the BC/Porkers another attempt at both in the same long weekend
South Western Road Club
2024 events    Tour Divide USA

« Reply #2 on: 26 February, 2023, 09:00:24 am »
Cool mate - see you there (no doubt briefly, as you fly past). Was it one of these events we first bumped into each other? Too many nights of sleep dep have fried my brain :)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #3 on: 27 February, 2023, 06:35:47 am »
I've entered the 200, 300 and 400.

But the 600 clashes with the excellent back to the smoke, maybe I'll have to do the Hellfire perm, because with my climbing ability I'm normally riding solo on hilly events anyway. (at the back, not the front) so how can it be worse?

I've heard a wessex SR is perfect prep for PBP. No wessex Super Randonneur has ever failed PBP is the word.

I’ve entered the series and am giving the BC/Porkers another attempt at both in the same long weekend

I'm in awe of anyone who even attempts this.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2023, 08:08:28 am »
I've done that double before (sleeping in my car between the two 400s) but have no plans to repeat it. This time will be towing the missus around the Wessex events instead.

I presume the roads have got even worse down there and I will now need a gravel bike with 50mm tyres just to finish them ;)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #5 on: 27 February, 2023, 09:48:37 am »
I presume the roads have got even worse down there and I will now need a gravel bike with 50mm tyres just to finish them ;)
Sounds like just the excuse I need to buy that lovely Ridley Kanzo fast in my LBS

« Reply #6 on: 28 February, 2023, 08:02:29 am »

Good luck with it Parky !

Hopefully we'll get good weather this year ...

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #7 on: 28 February, 2023, 11:54:31 pm »
I presume the roads have got even worse down there

Actually, on balance, overall they're about the same as they ever were. Sadly some of the very best grass-in-the-middle cliff sections have been resurfaced. But the question 'is a road or a river bed?' still arises fairly frequently  :thumbsup:

and I will now need a gravel bike with 50mm tyres just to finish them ;)

That is another matter entirely. ;-)

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #8 on: 01 March, 2023, 12:07:09 am »
Who else is doing the series? Anyone likely to be firing GPX files around for it? Any tips and tricks appreciated.

Yep, I've got WSR #9 in my sights. GPX will be available, for sure. It's such a great challenge.

My top tips are
a) Expect to have your definition of a hill completely re-callibrated (it's great in retrospect  :thumbsup:);
b) There are sections that are super tough, and can have you bouncing off the time limits working hard to hold minimum speed for 2 or 3 sections in a row, but it's not all like that, and if you keep moving you'll have an hour in hand at the end.
c) don't think about finishing until you can smell the sea.

The double is likely going to be by far the hardest thing you'll do in the year.,, which is great, because no matter how hard any other ride is, it's not as hard as the double.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #9 on: 01 March, 2023, 08:32:46 am »

The double is likely going to be by far the hardest thing you'll do in the year.,, which is great, because no matter how hard any other ride is, it's not as hard as the double.

That's worrying because I thought I had until porkers at the end of april to get in best shape,  now I have two weeks less.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #10 on: 14 April, 2023, 09:07:27 am »
Wessex SR series kicks off tomorrow, after a very wet week, the forecast for the weekend looks good. 6C to 14C and dry.

« Reply #11 on: 14 April, 2023, 10:15:34 am »
When I wuz young...

« Reply #12 on: 15 April, 2023, 10:29:27 pm »
The hardboiled was a grand Day out, I was informed it was my 17th hardboiled at the finish.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #13 on: 17 April, 2023, 10:30:06 am »
two fantastic rides over the weekend in great weather, great scenery, good company and a sense of satisfaction at the finish. Also great organisation of the controls. Stamped cards and no receipts to manage. top notch.

Only gripe; dubious info controls such as "signpost: distance to
  • at [y]", no sign to tell me I was in location Y, location Y doesn't appear on the map other than as an unnamed junction and the required fingerboard has been missing for some time.

Riding a further 150 gruelling km wondering if the ride will not be validated at the end for having the wrong info answer does not "add to the fun" particularly when the ride is required in order to go to France in August.

I notice Porkers has 6 infos, can I expect more of the same and should I plan accordingly?

« Reply #14 on: 17 April, 2023, 03:26:23 pm »
two fantastic rides over the weekend in great weather, great scenery, good company and a sense of satisfaction at the finish. Also great organisation of the controls. Stamped cards and no receipts to manage. top notch.

• at [y]", no sign to tell me I was in location Y, location Y doesn't appear on the map other than as an unnamed junction and the required fingerboard has been missing for some time.

Riding a further 150 gruelling km wondering if the ride will not be validated at the end for having the wrong info answer does not "add to the fun" particularly when the ride is required in order to go to France in August.

I notice Porkers has 6 infos, can I expect more of the same and should I plan accordingly?

We're all in the same boat, and if others have the same issue, which is likely, it usually resolves itself.

To make sure I've got something from the area I'm expecting the info, I take a pic so I have proof I was there and of what it looked like when I was there. If that makes sense.

The crazy infos are an integral part of the WessexSR - it's all part of the challenge !

« Reply #15 on: 17 April, 2023, 09:01:54 pm »
Is the info at Tarrant Gunville still required on the Hellfire / Brimstone? I live a few miles away, knew exactly the signpost it was asking about and still couldn't find the answer without Mr Hummerstone pointing it out (after someone had shown him on a previous ride). Happy memories!

« Reply #16 on: 18 April, 2023, 08:00:04 am »
Is the info at Tarrant Gunville still required on the Hellfire / Brimstone? I live a few miles away, knew exactly the signpost it was asking about and still couldn't find the answer without Mr Hummerstone pointing it out (after someone had shown him on a previous ride). Happy memories!

It has been used recently, but Shawn has also used another one in the area that's on the side of the road you'd expect it to be, which is nice !

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #17 on: 19 April, 2023, 10:40:27 pm »

We're all in the same boat, and if others have the same issue, which is likely, it usually resolves itself.

If you're using a boat for the Porkers - you are far better than I am.  It's tough enough on a bicycle.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #18 on: 24 April, 2023, 12:16:56 pm »
We both got around the 300/200 weekender which was nice and the missus seems to have not entirely dismissed the 400k even though she hates night riding so looks like that's still on the cards.
I'm going to throw on MTB cassettes. 42T and spinning is much better for my back than the (still pretty big) 36T cassettes we had on. Who knew I wouldn't lose 10kg in the last couple of months... who knew indeed? :P

« Reply #19 on: 24 April, 2023, 05:18:39 pm »
Have not signed up to any of the 2023 events, but was reminded of map I made a while back:
Wessex Series Map

...CrAcKpOt included because it's good to remember there's always a bigger fish out there to catch!

« Reply #20 on: 24 April, 2023, 06:00:40 pm »
Have not signed up to any of the 2023 events, but was reminded of map I made a while back:
Wessex Series Map

...CrAcKpOt included because it's good to remember there's always a bigger fish out there to catch!

Nice one.  Brings back memories.  You left out the Wu'uze.

« Reply #21 on: 24 April, 2023, 08:05:56 pm »
Wessex Series Map

... and the 3d 300 - even more roads to put on the map !

« Reply #22 on: 24 April, 2023, 08:15:29 pm »
Wessex Series Map

... and the 3d 300 - even more roads to put on the map !
Ah.  That's the one I haven't ridden.

« Reply #23 on: 25 April, 2023, 10:05:56 am »

To make sure I've got something from the area I'm expecting the info, I take a pic so I have proof I was there and of what it looked like when I was there. If that makes sense.

The crazy infos are an integral part of the WessexSR - it's all part of the challenge !

My philosophy is that it doesn't necessarily matter if you get the info answer wrong if enough people get the same wrong answer to have a strong case for the defence. And a few photos might be helpful.

« Reply #24 on: 25 April, 2023, 10:11:28 am »
I think I have photos of 5 different signs for one control from the last one. Any excuse for a rest :D