Author Topic: Seasonal Specials  (Read 8791 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Seasonal Specials
« on: 22 November, 2016, 12:09:49 am »
A guest to a gathering I hosted on Saturday brought some
Tesco 'Finest' hand cooked Cocoa and Spiced Rum flavoured potato crisps.

Not recommended  :sick:

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: Seasonal Specials
« Reply #1 on: 22 November, 2016, 12:29:03 am »
I haven't had my first Stollen of the season yet, but Soontm. Not sure if I have the willpower to last until December or not.

« Reply #2 on: 22 November, 2016, 08:50:35 am »
M&S have got some amazing winter berries and prosecco crisps. They're very tasty, actually fizzy and have gold glitter stars on them. What more do you need in life?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 22 November, 2016, 12:52:03 pm »
On the other hand, I received an absolutely beautiful tray of Spanish clementines from Tesco.

This was a reusable hardboard tray containing at least a dozen huge, tasty fruit.

For £1.50...

« Reply #4 on: 22 November, 2016, 04:04:02 pm »
Bought the first mince pies in Waitrose today, while they're on offer at half price.  :P

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 22 November, 2016, 06:02:01 pm »
I haven't had my first Stollen of the season yet, but Soontm. Not sure if I have the willpower to last until December or not.

Ooh, I need to make that delicious cherry stollen I made last year, again :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6 on: 22 November, 2016, 08:19:57 pm »
I had a Santa Paws at Brewdog on Friday. It was OK, a bit sweet.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7 on: 23 November, 2016, 12:03:59 am »

I bought a couple of their Pumpkin Jack at knock down price a couple of weeks ago, spicy, pumpkin, nice
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #8 on: 23 November, 2016, 09:02:10 am »

I bought a couple of their Pumpkin Jack at knock down price a couple of weeks ago, spicy, pumpkin, nice

I found two bottles of somewhat out-of-date Hoppy Christmas in the beer coffin. I know, out-of-date beer. The horror. I'm sure it won't kill me.

« Reply #9 on: 23 November, 2016, 12:52:01 pm »
Mikkeler Red and White Christmas  :thumbsup:  Obviously I had to get a second mortgage to afford it, but y'know.

And some half price Waitrose mince pies as was so kindly mentioned above...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10 on: 23 November, 2016, 09:27:42 pm »

I found two bottles of somewhat out-of-date Hoppy Christmas in the beer coffin. I know, out-of-date beer. The horror. I'm sure it won't kill me.

I have a bottle of Fuller's Christmas ale from 2014 vintage, so about to see it's third Christmas this year.  The bottle does not give a BB date  :P
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #11 on: 24 November, 2016, 01:03:47 pm »
I was in Belgium at the weekend (working). The guys I was working with took me out and insisted on buying me some beers including Gordon Xmas which whilst lovely is 8.8% - eek !!
Luckily they were merciful and only made me drink one of those.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #12 on: 24 November, 2016, 04:54:49 pm »
I have it on good authority (well, a chat with the head brewer) that Golden Pride's BB date is purely there for cosmetic effect.* I have a couple of the various Vintage Ales in my cupboard - maybe this Christmas I should do a taste test.

*Though there is presumably some limit - earlier this year I tried a Rochefort that was 16(!) years past its BB date, and it wasn't very nice. That might have been down to the cellaring, though - at the back of my F-i-L's garage for goodness knows how many years.

ian

« Reply #13 on: 24 November, 2016, 09:37:43 pm »
Once upon a time (c2005), on arriving at the inlaws after a long and arduous train journey, we requested a refreshing beery beverage. Oh, I think we have some in the garage says the mother-in-law. Some minutes later she appears with two cans of Mansfield Bitter. Now I grew up in a town in which the pubs either stocked Mansfield or Kimberley, and I can vouch for the fact that both taste like canal water. The only real difference was that Kimberley probably was canal water. But still, it's beer, and canned nostalgia at that. So I took a big swig.

Pffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttt!

Now I never remembered it tasting that bad. Eventually having recovered I looked at the best-before date on the bottom of the, come to think about it, rather vintage-looking can.

Some seriously literal nostalgia in that can. And probably botulin. They'd lifted a case from my wife's grandparent's pub back in the day and forgotten about it for nearly three decades.

The only plus is that they were so horrified that they now always have beer in the fridge when we visit.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #14 on: 03 December, 2016, 06:46:45 pm »
There's a bottle of 2013 or 2012 vintage Hoppy Xmas in the loft along with a couple of bottles of similar vintage Hello My Name Is SomethingOrOther. I'm sure they're still drinkable, I just need to make Mrs P is away at some point...

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #15 on: 03 December, 2016, 06:50:45 pm »
Last weekend I had the Fierce brewery's festive offerings on tap at Brewdog: White Christmas and Black Christmas.

The White was very spicy (cinnamon, cardamom), the Black less so but more chocolatey.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16 on: 03 December, 2016, 10:52:41 pm »
There's a bottle of 2013 or 2012 vintage Hoppy Xmas in the loft along with a couple of bottles of similar vintage Hello My Name Is SomethingOrOther. I'm sure they're still drinkable, I just need to make Mrs P is away at some point...

You keep your flippers off my beer!  :hand:
Especially the Ingrid.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 03 December, 2016, 10:56:36 pm »

Especially the Ingrid.

This reminds me of when I saved up all the passion fruit yoghurts (back when I were living with the parents) and my mum ate the lot because she thought I didn't like them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 03 December, 2016, 11:13:57 pm »
This reminds me of when I saved up all the passion fruit yoghurts (back when I were living with the parents) and my mum ate the lot because she thought I didn't like them.

I had a mum like that:  "I'm not buying any more $biscuits, you keep eating them!"  >:(

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #19 on: 03 December, 2016, 11:26:11 pm »

Especially the Ingrid.

It reminds of a certain chocolate situation.

Like mother like daughter  ::-)

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #20 on: 04 December, 2016, 06:46:57 pm »

They're not Hello My Name is SomethingOrOther, they're Hops Kill Nazis.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #21 on: 04 December, 2016, 07:13:39 pm »

They're not Hello My Name is SomethingOrOther, they're Hops Kill Nazis.

I'm prepared to share those ones...  O:-)

« Reply #22 on: 05 December, 2016, 01:46:59 am »

Especially the Ingrid.

It reminds of a certain chocolate situation.

Like mother like daughter  ::-)

Many years ago I was saving all the crispy bits from a plate of chips - delayed gratification is such a middle-class thing. My mother nicked them all, with no justification that I'm aware of other than that she fancied them too.

I am still resentful. (We moved from the house where this occurred when I was six.)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23 on: 05 December, 2016, 08:21:44 am »
Currently succumbing to salt-, pepper-, onion- and lemon-seasoned pistachios.  Have had to deploy clippers & 240-grit sanding disc several times to counteract Pistachio-Fancier's Thumbnail.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24 on: 17 December, 2016, 10:37:38 pm »
Has anyone tried Heston's bacon and banana trifle?