Author Topic: Random thread for pet specific things that don't warrant a thread of their own  (Read 1168 times)

Afasoas

We lost our doting yellow labrador, during one of the 2020 pandemic lockdowns, at the grand old age of 13. He was a marvel really - he was allergic to nearly everything and yet would eat anything. He was on a cocktail of immuno suppressants for most of his years - which not only made the pet insurance incredibly good value - but also meant he lived far longer than we expected.

Anyway, last weekend we picked up a 9 month old Pointerdor (German short-haird pointer [GSP]/labrador) who friends of friends wanted to rehome. The only labrador trait he seems to have is his black coat. He appears to have the stamina of a GSP. Having him with us a few days, we now understand why he is a bit much for a couple dealing with a later-life unexpected/complicated pregnancy.

Gun dogs of the pointer kind are a handful... wouldn't get one younger than 5yo TBH... 9months is the worst time possible.. a child at heart but the size of an adult!
We had a Viszla and it did seem to run on a battery pack supplied by Tesla... impossible to get tired, so much for dogs sleeping most of the day!
Feel for you... don't feel bad if you need to rehome...

Afasoas

Gun dogs of the pointer kind are a handful... wouldn't get one younger than 5yo TBH... 9months is the worst time possible.. a child at heart but the size of an adult!
We had a Viszla and it did seem to run on a battery pack supplied by Tesla... impossible to get tired, so much for dogs sleeping most of the day!

He's got some very redeeming qualities. In fact, endless stamina aside, I think he is smashing. Just means I'm going to have to get used to early nights/early mornings as we seem to be settling into two 3 mile walks a day plus a quick lunchtime walk. It's fortunate we both full time work from home, otherwise this would be impossible. Also means I'm probably only going to manage one or two bike rides each week, instead of the three or four I've been slotting in.

We were both adamant that we'd give a home to a dog in need of one, rather than buy a puppy due to misgivings about many breeders motives.

Hadn't heard of a Viszla .. had to look that one up. They have some interesting character traits:

The Vizsla wants to be close to its owner as much as possible, and it is commonly observed that vizslas insist on sleeping under the covers in their owner's bed at night.

Viszlas are often referred to as the Hungarian Devils... they are incredibly elegant and beautiful, but boy, they are hard work!

Viszlas are often referred to as the Hungarian Devils... they are incredibly elegant and beautiful, but boy, they are hard work!

Ours slept for at least 12 hours a day. She was nothing like the above description. Rarely had an easier dog, she walked to heel from day one (we got her from the dogs home in Aberdeen) and was exceptionally biddable.

Ours slept for at least 12 hours a day. She was nothing like the above description. Rarely had an easier dog, she walked to heel from day one (we got her from the dogs home in Aberdeen) and was exceptionally biddable.
Basically, someone did the work for you… unfortunately my wife believed you get a better bond with a puppy (as well as a much bigger bill!). I would have happily swapped the alleged better bond for a walkable dog!

Dear the ladybird swarm in my flat: Are you emerging and going out, or are you coming in, or both?

ian

They're coming in for the warmth. Ladybirds usually turn imago late October and have to overwinter. Turn up the heating and order them an aphid takeout on Uber Eats.

Every couple of years we get a big coating on the front of our house in the sun.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...

He's got some very redeeming qualities. In fact, endless stamina aside, I think he is smashing. Just means I'm going to have to get used to early nights/early mornings as we seem to be settling into two 3 mile walks a day plus a quick lunchtime walk. It's fortunate we both full time work from home, otherwise this would be impossible. Also means I'm probably only going to manage one or two bike rides each week, instead of the three or four I've been slotting in.

We were both adamant that we'd give a home to a dog in need of one, rather than buy a puppy due to misgivings about many breeders motives.

Hadn't heard of a Viszla .. had to look that one up. They have some interesting character traits:

The Vizsla wants to be close to its owner as much as possible, and it is commonly observed that vizslas insist on sleeping under the covers in their owner's bed at night.

That is also a Jack Russell trait...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
These cats. Ninkasi spent all afternoon moaning at me and only stopped when I finished work and she was straight on my office chair.
Tonight Pumpkin has been pesting and being naughty, that stopped as soon as I got up and she got straight in my poang.
So basically I'm not allowed a seat. Gits.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

We have a greyhound and one of the features of greyhound is they often stop on walks and will stand for ages not moving....ans good luck dragging 40kg of greyhound (ours is a large one). Our hound did this tonight on way home and despite several treats couldn't get going. I'd tried sending eldest ahead but this didn't work. I then went ahead which leaving him with eldest which made no difference. In desperation  I blew the whistle that's built into my rucksack and he took off towards me and was then happy to charge along side the eldest who was running along with him.